Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hitachi Touro Desk 2TB HDD and ViP612

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

I can't get a Hitachi Touro Desk 2TB external HDD to format for a ViP612. When I enter Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to format the attached USB device. When I press "yes" it proceeds to format the drive and when finished returns me to the last channel I was on. There were no error messages and everything seemed to work. When I now go back to Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to do it all over again! What is going on?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

Do a test on a PC - format it as NTFS and write a few big files (> 1 GB).

#3 OFFLINE   MikeL DISH

MikeL DISH

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Does the external hard drive have its own power supply? External hard drives must have their own power supply. They must have a single-tier enclosure and a 50GB-2TB hard drive. It's supposed to be a 2.0 USB compatible. A 3.0 might work, depending on the firmware.

I can't get a Hitachi Touro Desk 2TB external HDD to format for a ViP612. When I enter Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to format the attached USB device. When I press "yes" it proceeds to format the drive and when finished returns me to the last channel I was on. There were no error messages and everything seemed to work. When I now go back to Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Manage Device it asks me to do it all over again! What is going on?

#4 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hi MikeL,
Yes, it's a single tier 2TB with a separate power supply, and 3.0/2.0 compatible according to the specs on the box. I had the same model previously working on a ViP211.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Please unplug the EHD from the receiver, unplug the receiver for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet, and plug the receiver back into the outlet. Once the reboot process has completed, plug the EHD into the USB port and let the receiver reformat the EHD. Please let me know if you have continued issues with the EHD. Thanks.

Hi MikeL,
Yes, it's a single tier 2TB with a separate power supply, and 3.0/2.0 compatible according to the specs on the box. I had the same model previously working on a ViP211.

#6 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hi Ray,
I did exactly what you suggested. Everything went smoothly and I was returned to my program. Unfortunately when I now enter Menu--> Multimedia--> My Media--> Sent To Device it comes back and asks me to reformat again!!!

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Rinse, repeat ... up to its acceptance :D

Post the magical number of loops here - for your followers. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

I went through 3 iterations. It still wants to reformat. Each iteration took 6 minutes including restarting.
Forget it. :)

Rinse, repeat ... up to its acceptance :D

Post the magical number of loops here - for your followers. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I got same experience when I used 64 GB USB flash for Hopper. One difference is after three attempts it was formatted and I did move one recording (lucky, heh !). Since that the stick has no meaning for h2k - inserting is silent, removing - with a warning, DVR not see it. :(

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Does the 6 minutes sound like too little time for the unit top be totally formatting that drive, after all it is 2TB?

I have no reference point, it's been several years since I installed my 250 GB drives and it seemed like it took longer, maybe I forget.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#11 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Do a test on a PC - format it as NTFS and write a few big files (> 1 GB).

That is exactly what I would do. It needs to be verified that the drive is OK.
If it passes that test, I would suspect that the Dish receiver is not formatting it properly.

I would then try formatting it on another Dish receiver, even a friends if I didn't have another one of my own. If it passes that test, then you can assume that the drive is OK and your receiver is at fault.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall