Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   EdBott

EdBott

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hello folks!

There is a nice write-up on this device at Engadget. (Sorry I can't post the link)

I currently have directv but am looking at maybe switching to dish network because I am out of contract with directv. Does anyone know how many of these usb tuners you can hook up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello folks!

There is a nice write-up on this device at Engadget. (Sorry I can't post the link)

I currently have directv but am looking at maybe switching to dish network because I am out of contract with directv. Does anyone know how many of these usb tuners you can hook up?

Here is the referenced link but it doesn't really cover much detail on the USB OTA Module: http://www.engadget....oftware-update/

I would send it to the Dish CSRs who continue to tell me that it's not available but I know that its beyond their control and not their fault their systems don't give them more information.

#243 OFFLINE   tomtb

tomtb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I just received a tracking information yesterday evening. It says scheduled delivery is by end of day Thursday. I'm in Kansas and it is shipping from Colorado.

Me too! I am in Alabama and it supposed to be delivered Thursday.

#244 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

If someone ordered two for one H ?

#245 OFFLINE   allenwoodruff

allenwoodruff

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have been holding out on upgrading to the hopper until the OTA adapter came out. I ordered 2 yesterday and they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Really looking forward to the hopper system. I have installation of 2 hoppers and 3 joeys scheduled for Sunday.

#246 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I heard the s/w to support OTA is still rolling out, so you may not have it by Sunday. Just FYI.

#247 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Got my adapter today! I don't know if it's just me, but the dongle seems to be more powerful than the MT2 module. Perhaps it's because it's one tuner vs two?

Btw, for those that are wondering, any standard A-B USB cable appears to work with the dongle. I'm using an old printer cable on my dongle and it works great! No short cable here!

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#248 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

to be more powerful

How is that ?
Are you transmitting OTA signal to your winter cabin ? :)

#249 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Here is the referenced link but it doesn't really cover much detail on the USB OTA Module: http://www.engadget....oftware-update/

Scott at SatGuys did a nice 'First Look' of the OTA module here.

#250 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Got my adapter today! I don't know if it's just me, but the dongle seems to be more powerful than the MT2 module. Perhaps it's because it's one tuner vs two?

Btw, for those that are wondering, any standard A-B USB cable appears to work with the dongle. I'm using an old printer cable on my dongle and it works great! No short cable here!

I got my adapter today, too. Plugged it in and nothing happened. How long did you have to wait before it was detected? What version of software does your Hopper have? I'm at "S222 NACB 10/10/2012, 4:30AM"

Thanks

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#251 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I got my adapter today, too. Plugged it in and nothing happened. How long did you have to wait before it was detected? What version of software does your Hopper have? I'm at "S222 NACB 10/10/2012, 4:30AM"

Thanks

You'll need S229. My receivers have S229. It detected the adapter immediately. You'll hopefully be getting the new software anywhere between tonight and 2 weeks from now.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#252 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Can anyone confirm if the Joeys can simultaneously stream OTA from the Hopper?
BAN the FCC!

#253 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Can anyone confirm if the Joeys can simultaneously stream OTA from the Hopper?

Not sure what you mean by simultaneously but the "First Look" on the other site showed a Joey using the OTA channels.

#254 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

I mean if a Joey is using the OTA does it become unavailable to another Hopper or Joey that wants it? One would think so, but I could be wrong.
BAN the FCC!

#255 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

OK... I give. How do I order one? Could not find anything on DISH's website.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#256 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yes you can join the OTA channel being watched but you cannot watch a different OTA channel.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#257 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Yes you can join the OTA channel being watched but you cannot watch a different OTA channel.

What if you have multiple Hoppers, each with their own OTA tuner? That should allow for streaming off any available tuner, right? My situation would call for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.
BAN the FCC!

#258 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

You'll need switch J between Hs: unlink and pair it again.

#259 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

You'll need switch J between Hs: unlink and pair it again.

I see. This is the reason I'm hoping for better integration. While I could likely easily manage this, most in the family will find it an annoyance. Thanks to all for the info.
BAN the FCC!

#260 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

What if you have multiple Hoppers, each with their own OTA tuner? That should allow for streaming off any available tuner, right? My situation would call for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

I am curious about this too. If you have two hoppers (no Joeys), is one hopper able to watch the tuners (OTA or SAT) of the other hopper? In essence, can one hopper be a client of another one? I know it can watch recorded shows of the other hopper, but what about live tuners?

I was considering getting a second Hopper instead of a Joey since I understand the montly fee of $7 is the same either way. Maybe all three tuners are busy on the Hopper I am using and I want to watch something else. Can I access the free tuners on the other Hopper?

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...