Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I am curious about this too. If you have two hoppers (no Joeys), is one hopper able to watch the tuners (OTA or SAT) of the other hopper? In essence, can one hopper be a client of another one? I know it can watch recorded shows of the other hopper, but what about live tuners?

I was considering getting a second Hopper instead of a Joey since I understand the montly fee of $7 is the same either way. Maybe all three tuners are busy on the Hopper I am using and I want to watch something else. Can I access the free tuners on the other Hopper?

Not sure about that as a basic function. My understanding from my questioning here is that you can't at this time. That's the integration I speak of. Where a two Hopper install basically networks them into one DVR to the end user in which any connect Joey would take any available tuner as needed. The operation becomes "seamless" with no switching and re-linking. If they did that, I'd already be signed up! It's the one thing I'm debating over deciding between DirecTV or Dish. DirecTV has this functionality, but I lose other things I want (HD Channels, a superior UI, Auto Hop). I have to consider the household and not myself only, so I want something everyone can be happy with.
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I am curious about this too. If you have two hoppers (no Joeys), is one hopper able to watch the tuners (OTA or SAT) of the other hopper? In essence, can one hopper be a client of another one? I know it can watch recorded shows of the other hopper, but what about live tuners?

I was considering getting a second Hopper instead of a Joey since I understand the montly fee of $7 is the same either way. Maybe all three tuners are busy on the Hopper I am using and I want to watch something else. Can I access the free tuners on the other Hopper?

I don't have mine yet (Install scheduled for Sunday :joy: )but from what I have read I believe that the Hoppers can only view what is recorded on the other Hopper, they can't use or join a tuner on the other Hopper. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone here will correct me. :-)

If your client is a Joey you can unpair from the busy Hopper, pair it to the other Hopper and watch any of the tuners on that Hopper.

#263 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't have mine yet (Install scheduled for Sunday :joy: )but from what I have read I believe that the Hoppers can only view what is recorded on the other Hopper, they can't use or join a tuner on the other Hopper. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone here will correct me. :-)

No, I believe you are right. That was the consenus I gathered. Rumors of that functionality float around as "coming down the road". Right now, that one of the biggest gripes I have with Time Warner Whole Home setup. I can only see what's recording or recorded from clients or multiple DVR's. To me, it's worthless unless I can see schedules as one. I could live without tuner sharing, but it sure would be great. I just don't want all the duplicate recordings (that is when the Time Warner DVR actually records and doesn't glitch out). My other concern is VOD and what Dish offers for that. Their website isn't very informative. It's more ad hype than info.
BAN the FCC!

#264 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

My module showed up today. That was pretty quick since I ordered it Wednesday. The install was easy. It seems to work pretty good.

The only weird thing is when changing channels on the Joey to the OTA, it brings up the tuner conflict screen every time. I can see the need to take over the tuner the first time, but after that is weird. What I mean is to change between ABC OTA and ABC from Dish, just up/down, it keeps bringing up the conflict screen. hmmm.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#265 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I can see the lack of a dual tuner on a single Hopper being an issue. This is one reason I prefer the Genie/HR-34 install and setup which allows for a dual tuner OTA add on. Problem is I prefer the Dish GUI, HD lineup, and Hopper features. Did you verify your software version is up to date? Keep us posted on any issues or if you resolve it.
BAN the FCC!

#266 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

You'll need S229. My receivers have S229. It detected the adapter immediately. You'll hopefully be getting the new software anywhere between tonight and 2 weeks from now.

My module showed up today. That was pretty quick since I ordered it Wednesday. The install was easy. It seems to work pretty good.

Why is everyone's OTA Adapter working but mine? I called tech support and she says I have the current version of software (S222). This is BS. She said I'll get an update that will enbale the adapter when it is ready.:mad: She had no timeframe to give me.

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#267 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Why is everyone's OTA Adapter working but mine? I called tech support and she says I have the current version of software (S222). This is BS. She said I'll get an update that will enbale the adapter when it is ready.:mad: She had no timeframe to give me.

The software to enable the OTA module is rolling out and will be S230 for the Hopper and S278 for Joey. No one can tell you exactly when you will get the update. I've had my module for 2 days and am still waiting. Patience grasshopper :)

#268 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

The software to enable the OTA module is rolling out and will be S230 for the Hopper and S278 for Joey. No one can tell you exactly when you will get the update. I've had my module for 2 days and am still waiting. Patience grasshopper :)

I don't mind waiting, but there are plenty of people on here who seem to have working adapters. You shouldn't be able to order this item online and then get it and be told you can't use it and we don't know when you will be able to. Put some kind of notice on the order page, at least!

October 1996

#269 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

I don't mind waiting, but there are plenty of people on here who seem to have working adapters. You shouldn't be able to order this item online and then get it and be told you can't use it and we don't know when you will be able to. Put some kind of notice on the order page, at least!

To be fair, most people aren't even aware that the adapter exists at the moment.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#270 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I count only three posters with S2.29/S2.30 !

See sticky thread about the version's experience. There you'll find when and what particular boxes upgrading.

#271 OFFLINE   tomtb

tomtb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I count only three posters with S2.29/S2.30 !

See sticky thread about the version's experience. There you'll find when and what particular boxes upgrading.

I got the OTA adapter and the update Thursday. The adapter works fine.

#272 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

They are doing a phased roll out by Recevier ID and should be done by Dec 1st according to one CSR (not a reliable source).

Just wondering what the latest update range is. Can some of you out there that got it post the frist FIVE numbers after your R number.
Just push Setup Twice to see it. It is the second line under Receiver CD ID num
Do not post the whole number as that is like a serial number which links back to your account.
No need to post if you did not get the update.
Mine is way up there at R18841 so I may be last. (just got it a couple of weeks ago)

Example I got it, my number is R18811 or R18812

I think Fridays range was:
Receiver Card Numbers R1881149252-R1881288030
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#273 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

P Smith has the numbers range in the S230 thread ... it is fairly expansive.

#274 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I can see the lack of a dual tuner on a single Hopper being an issue. This is one reason I prefer the Genie/HR-34 install and setup which allows for a dual tuner OTA add on. Problem is I prefer the Dish GUI, HD lineup, and Hopper features. Did you verify your software version is up to date? Keep us posted on any issues or if you resolve it.

The Genie can't begin to compare with 2 Hopper system. 6 tuners (plus PTAT) plus 2 OTA Additional tuners. For the difference in overall service cost you can add a Joey ($7mo) next to a Hopper and with a simple HDMI input change, have access to all tuners, timer setting, and all recordings from that location. Far more storage space, more timers and events, a truly versatile EHD arrangement and a far better interface. To me, the only reason to even consider the Genie and suffer through its problems and limitations would be the sports packages. Fortunately for Genie users DirecTV allows you to keep other HD DVR/receivers in addition to clients to ease some of the limitations.

Now back to OTA for the Hopper...

#275 OFFLINE   allenwoodruff

allenwoodruff

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

I had a 2 hopper, 4 joey install yesterday anlong with 2 OTA adapters and everything is working fine. When I plugged in the OTA adapter, it recognized it immediately and prompted me to reboot the receiver. After the reboot, I scanned for local channels and added the channels. The joeys can see the OTA channels.

Initally I didn't have guide data for the OTA channels, but after a few hours, the guide data appeared.

Overall, I am very pleased with the hopper and the OTA module.

#276 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

:flaimingStill pissed....:flaiming

October 1996

#277 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

??? about what?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#278 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

About no software update.

#279 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

==DISH SUGGESTION BOX==

OPTION ONE:
I would think the DIRT members or the Dish Firmware deployment team could run a report of every customer that purchased it in the last week and then add them to tonights update list or at least tell us what the top secret force an update now key code is.
For DirecTV to force an update you rebooting then pushed 0 2 4 6 8 at the first screen. I would think dish would have some kind of emergency code like this in case the firmware software got corrupted. Other wise we could be looking at Dec 1st to get it with maybe even more delays from the holiday weekend.

OPTION TWO: for the firmware update code add the PID string for IF USB OTA Hardware installed and then in tonights 1am upgrade everyone with it plugged in gets the update. We could all then help test it.

Example (add something in here):
PID=08E0h 11/12/12 23:02:44
DownloadID:40NA
Upgrading parts of new FW with filters:
S229:'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S228','AYA7'-'AYA7'
S229:'1[A-D0-2]1[A-B0-1]'&'S040'-'S0ZZ','S223'-'S229','AYA7'-'AYA7'
New FW:'S229'&'S229'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs and SN:
'1...'&'NA[CFJ].': {XiP813} R0000000001-R4000000000

Edited by scottchez, 19 November 2012 - 12:37 PM.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#280 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Got OTA module, installed it, works like a charm with a $20 indoor antenna!

Question: there is a group of channels, including GolTV (I never knew it was broadcasted over the air), that show on the guide but have a dark scrren if you select them. They have maximum (100) strength signal, so I know it's not a signal issue.
What are those?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...