Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

My channels were lost again last night. At this point my OTA module is unusable.

My OTA channels are going black nightly too. A reset fixes it (temporarily) but that's not so easy to do in the evening when shows are recording. :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

My OTA channels are going black nightly too. A reset fixes it (temporarily) but that's not so easy to do in the evening when shows are recording. :(

Same thing here.....all locals are gone!
Dish Network Customer since 12/1996
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

#303 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Same thing here.....all locals are gone!

As are mine.

#304 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I guess I'm lucky. I only had the black screen issue once.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#305 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

I guess I'm lucky. I only had the black screen issue once.

Same here except the only problem I've had was one night when they were all pixalating real bad, other than that no problems.

#306 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

My OTA channels were fine during the day yesterday and last evening as I posted above they all went to black screen. They are all OK today after the nightly reboot. I haven't tried "pull the plug" hard reboot but I will.

#307 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Today I went to an OTA channel it said could not get signal or signal lost.
All OTA were then all black
I went to setup and it said the normal 90% signal
I rebooted and it fixed.
2nd hopper had no issues. It has no Joeys
Bad hopper has one Joey and a sling adapter.
We need DIRT to open or update the ticket on this issue as it seems to be spreading.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#308 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

My OTA channels were fine during the day yesterday and last evening as I posted above they all went to black screen. They are all OK today after the nightly reboot. I haven't tried "pull the plug" hard reboot but I will.

I pulled the plug and of course they came back only to go back to the black screen issue later in the day. The hard reset also brought back by EHD. We'll see if its still there in the morning.

#309 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

My EHD had not given me any trouble until I added OTA. Now I get the same problem. Dropped EHD and black OTA consistently. Do I blame S230 or The addition of OTA which occurred at the same time? I have noticed that people who are complaining about one problem also have the other.
The hopper manual states only one USB device can be used at a time so why three USB ports? Perhaps a later software revision allows more than one USB device and the manual was not revised accordingly.
I will not record from OTA because I do not want to record black.

#310 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like a big fly in the soup...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#311 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I pulled the plug and of course they came back only to go back to the black screen issue later in the day. The hard reset also brought back by EHD. We'll see if its still there in the morning.

The EHD is missing in action again and OTA is working correctly for now.

#312 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have noticed that people who are complaining about one problem also have the other.
The hopper manual states only one USB device can be used at a time so why three USB ports? Perhaps a later software revision allows more than one USB device and the manual was not revised accordingly.

I'm starting to wonder if there might be something in common like the brand of EHD. Perhaps those with the problem could mention the HD brand and size.

Also, if it were me, I would try powering off the EHD when not actually using it to see if, even tho the USB cable to the drive is connected, it might not affect the OTA reception.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#313 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I figured out how to reproduce on demand.
The issue is if the signal drops to zero due to multi pathing too many times the software for OTA driver crashes requiring a reboot. It has to drop about 5 times. To reproduce unplug the ant cable for just 2 seconds then plug it back in ,repeat until crash. Reboot fixes every time. My strong signal stations do not cause this as there is no multi path issue.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#314 OFFLINE   jack byron

jack byron

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

My EHD had not given me any trouble until I added OTA. Now I get the same problem. Dropped EHD and black OTA consistently. Do I blame S230 or The addition of OTA which occurred at the same time? I have noticed that people who are complaining about one problem also have the other.

#315 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

:flaimingStill pissed....:flaiming

Well, I went on vacation for a week, and was happy:) to come home and find that I finally got the software update to enable the OTA tuner.

I was not happy:(, but also not surprised, to find that the guide info for my local FOX is still missing. KAAS Salina, KS mirrors KSAS, Wichita. Worked for years then stopped.

I didn't know this adapter would tune analog stations but it is. We have a weak (LP) ABC translator here that it is receiving. The guide info is there even for that station!

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + HBO + Showtime + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
TV: Samsung UN55D6400 55" LED 3D HDTV
A/V: Yamaha RX-A2000 Home Theater Receiver
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#316 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I figured out how to reproduce on demand.
The issue is if the signal drops to zero due to multi pathing too many times the software for OTA driver crashes requiring a reboot. It has to drop about 5 times. To reproduce unplug the ant cable for just 2 seconds then plug it back in ,repeat until crash. Reboot fixes every time. My strong signal stations do not cause this as there is no multi path issue.

I guess that explains why some people experience the black screen more than others. I only had it once, personally.

Edited by 3HaloODST, 02 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#317 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

There's a thread about the OTA black screen issue over on Sat Guys. The advice seems to be to make sure your OTA tuner is flat. Then delete all OTA channels and save, then rescan the OTA channels and save again. Any OTA timers will have to be recreated.

I too had my EHD drop off a couple times since I added the OTA module. I only followed the above instructions yesterday but am hopeful that it will help.

#318 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I debated starting a new thread on this, but I wonder if I'm the only one seeing this behavior:

I have a Dish Slingbox Adapter and an OTA module. I see three issues so far with this setup.

1) I cannot set up recordings remotely for OTA channels - they do not show up in the guide - using dishonline or the Android app.

2) I cannot playback an OTA recording using the Sling adapter, either while they are recording or after playback is complete.

3) You cannot manually add channels if a scan does not see them (feature unavailable) and you cannot keep channels that the most recent scan did not see, even if you've had them in the past (such as with a rotor-mounted antenna.)

Other than that, I'm loving the OTA adapter. Even with a temporary antenna mount which is in a horrible position, I'm getting all but one of my local channels reliably. When the weather warms up, I'll be moving it to a better location and adding a rotor, which will give me a serious boost.

I have not seen the black channel problem except for channels that a current scan does not receive. Tuning to another OTA channel works fine. I've done at least 10 channel scans so far.

#319 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

With the vip722k and Sling Adapter, you could see the contents of a connected external hard drive. That ability has disappeared with the Hopper.

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + HBO + Showtime + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
TV: Samsung UN55D6400 55" LED 3D HDTV
A/V: Yamaha RX-A2000 Home Theater Receiver
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#320 OFFLINE   byli5

byli5

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Just got DISH Hopper + Joey and just got OTA module. Getting local channels but no guide info. Can you tell me what the next step is?

spam firewall