Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just got DISH Hopper + Joey and just got OTA module. Getting local channels but no guide info. Can you tell me what the next step is?

Wait. It'll have the data that's available within 15 minutes to 24 hours.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   byli5

byli5

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wait. It'll have the data that's available within 15 minutes to 24 hours.

Actually it has been about 26 hours. I can be patient if that's what's required. Thanks

#323 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Actually it has been about 26 hours. I can be patient if that's what's required. Thanks

If it's just showing the call signs for the channels then chances are the guide data isn't available.

#324 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

If none of the local channels are giving EPG waiting the day (or two) for the receiver to get it's brains together (as most of us have had to do when getting a Hopper - even before OTA) is not a bad idea. If some of the locals have EPG and others do not (other than channels added in a just completed scan) you may want to check to see what EPG DISH carries for locals.

I have a list of all the local channel EPGs on my website:
http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

Look for your market and any channels you may receive from an adjacent market. If the channel/subchannel is not listed on that page, DISH does not provide EPG for that channel/subchannel.

DISH uses a hidden indicator "TSID" that is transmitted on local stations to match an over the air received feed with the EPG data transmitted via DISH. The call letters are irrelevant for the match. If the station is transmitting a different TSID or is not transmitting a valid TSID there will be no match and EPG will not show for that OTA channel. The TSIDs as DISH knows them are shown on my page.

DISH does not use the EPG that is transmitted over the air by the station. They get their guide data from Tribune Media and match it to the channels. Sometimes DISH sends the wrong EPG data for an OTA channel. Getting them to admit that and fix it is non-trivial.

#325 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Good information. Judging by your post, chances are Dish will never have the guide data for my local ABC. The ABC which is pushed down the satellite feed is one that is about 65 miles away. ABC mirrors that station on a different channel here and the mirror is only about 6 miles away. It really sucks. Especially with this initial software version that doesn't even allow you to record stations without guide data. Not to mention the lack of manual timers.

On the older receivers, channels without guide data would just show up as "Digital Service." On Hopper, channels without guide data show up with just their call signs. Just to clarify on my previous post.

#326 OFFLINE   byli5

byli5

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm amzed that you were able to aggregate all the signal data. I see why you are a super moderator. I checked and my channels for Roanoke, VA do have TSID data and so I am hopeful that I can eventually get it right but I am not sure what to do next. The satellite installer left me his cell #. Do you think he could fix it? What about the DIRT folks I see referenced here and there?

#327 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

The DISH Executive Office folks were unable to fix the EPG in my market. I doubt that DIRT or a local installer would have any more ability. The executive office people refused to acknowledge that the data was transmitted via satellite and that DISH satellite receivers matched satellite transmitted data to channels. And (at least at that time) their ability to send things on to a tech for repair was one way. They claimed that they would not get notified by the tech on progress of the repair and could not follow up on previous requests. (At least that is what I was told.) The executive office wanted to blame my receivers ... so I suppose replacing every OTA enabled receiver in my market would have fixed their broken data feed. :rolleyes:

#328 OFFLINE   viperentrap

viperentrap

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hi all,
Despite seeing the black out issues here, I decided to order the OTA along with the Hopper (finally joining the HD world - just recently donated the CRTs - they just would not die). Not too clear what Scott meant about "multi pathing too many times" causing the driver to crash - if that is true then I guess it means s/w update.

I noticed some messages about only 1 USB device can be used. I wonder if its because the hopper cant power too many devices. Anyone using a EHD with its own power supply? If so do you experience blackouts?

#329 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I noticed some messages about only 1 USB device can be used. I wonder if its because the hopper cant power too many devices. Anyone using a EHD with its own power supply? If so do you experience blackouts?

Dish only supports self-powered EHDs... so if anyone tries a USB-powered EHD it is a use-at-your-own-risk situation.

There are multiple ports... I have to think one could use the Sling Adapter and the OTA adapter at the same time, otherwise that would be a problem. I would also think you are meant to be able to use EHDs at the same time as well... though at some point you'll probably need a USB-hub to connect everything at the same time, especially if you go for the multiple USB drives that can be seen at the same time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#330 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I am using an OTA, EHD and Sling adapter all at the same time through the available USB ports on the Hopper without issues.

#331 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I am using an OTA, EHD and Sling adapter all at the same time through the available USB ports on the Hopper without issues.

+1

My issues settled down after I stopped trying to tune in weak OTA channels.

#332 OFFLINE   william Bray

william Bray

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have reviewed this thread since the OTA was released and haven't seen this discussed by anyone with the OTA enabled (except for speculation before the OTA was released0. If I only receive local channels OTA will I be able to record all the network programming for the week as advertized for the Hopper? Thanks.

#333 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have reviewed this thread since the OTA was released and haven't seen this discussed by anyone with the OTA enabled (except for speculation before the OTA was released0. If I only receive local channels OTA will I be able to record all the network programming for the week as advertized for the Hopper? Thanks.

PTAT only uses the satellite fed channels. You can set normal timers for the OTA channel content, but PTAT will only record from the satellite versions.

#334 OFFLINE   william Bray

william Bray

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Thanks. That's what I figured.

#335 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

The OTA adapter has a single tuner in it. Each Hopper can support only one OTA adapter. If you had 2 Hoppers, each with an OTA adapter, you'd be able to record half the network programming for the week. That is all.

#336 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Is there still a shortage of the tuners?
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#337 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

If you're asking if there's an adequate # to meets ones recording needs then:
Only if you think 3 sat tuners and one OTA tuner per hopper is not enough.
Everyone's needs are different.

If you're asking about the availability of the OTA tuners from Dish, then why not give them a quick call.

#338 OFFLINE   GB1

GB1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

As of yesterday the Ota Tuners were backordered.

#339 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

As of yesterday the Ota Tuners were backordered.

Thanks. Any ideas when they will be available again?
No point in switching from my current setup until then...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#340 OFFLINE   GB1

GB1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I didnt ask when they would be available. Im going from a 722 with 1 OTA tuner to a Hopper/Joey tomorrow. I thought I would see if the 3 tuners worked with my family before I added the OTA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...