Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

perhaps better OTA antenna will cure the issue ? or signal booster ?

On my 722 I had the OTA would give an error signal lost. I guess the H does not give an error it just wipes out all OTA channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

On my 722 I had the OTA would give an error signal lost. I guess the H does not give an error it just wipes out all OTA channels.

Not necessarily. I have gotten the signal lost message without losing all the OTA channels. Weak channels play a part in this issue.

#363 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Just ordered my OTA adapter. Couple of questions about points brought up earlier.

#1..Is it still true that you cannot manually enter a new OTA channel? If so, how do you scan channels if they are in multiple antenna directions?

#2..Do the OTA channels work at all with Sling?
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#364 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Just ordered my OTA adapter. Couple of questions about points brought up earlier.

#1..Is it still true that you cannot manually enter a new OTA channel? If so, how do you scan channels if they are in multiple antenna directions?

#2..Do the OTA channels work at all with Sling?

#1. This is a problem if you have a rotor and need to scan different directions. When you rescan currently, it wipes out all the stored channels. They do have a button to add a station, but it says something like feature coming soon.

#2. I think so. I have my sling adapter unplugged currently, but I can check later if noone beats me to it.

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#365 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Yes, and it is on the 722 as well. But on the 722 you could tell it what time you would like it to perform the updates. With the Hopper, it starts asking at about 1am (for me) and if I decline it asks again a bit later. This repeats, presumably until it gets the reboot it wants.

I was trying to archive a long program off to the DVD recorder late one night after going to bed, but (even after declining the first system maintenance prompt) it rebooted right during the middle of the recording.

This needs to be addressed. Once you say not to reboot, that should be it for that night. And bring back the option to tell it when to do the "updates". Not everyone has the same schedule!

It's even easier than that. The machine knows when recordings are scheduled. It can pick any time it likes that has a 1 hr free window (probably really only need the half hour, but why take chances?)

It should also not being trying to reboot while tv output is on.

It has all the info it needs to stay out of your way... that it doesn't use it is a sign of lazy programmers.

#366 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

#1. This is a problem if you have a rotor and need to scan different directions. When you rescan currently, it wipes out all the stored channels. They do have a button to add a station, but it says something like feature coming soon.

#2. I think so. I have my sling adapter unplugged currently, but I can check later if noone beats me to it.

Well, I was wrong. I could not see my OTA channels through the Sling adapter. One can also not see programs transferred to EHDs - which was possible on the vip722.

Of course, if you record something from an OTA channel, that recording is available on the Sling (unless you move it to an EHD). It is probably even available while it is still recording.

October 1996

#367 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's even easier than that. The machine knows when recordings are scheduled. It can pick any time it likes that has a 1 hr free window (probably really only need the half hour, but why take chances?)

It should also not being trying to reboot while tv output is on.

It has all the info it needs to stay out of your way... that it doesn't use it is a sign of lazy programmers.

All good points.

It still makes no sense why they took the perfectly good option of letting the user decide what time of the day to perform these updates.

October 1996

#368 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I don't recall seeing this before, but last night I watched Thursday's American Idol recorded OTA and it had AutoHop available. Still on S234.

#369 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I can now happily confirm that on a Hopper w/sling (S303), the OTA adapter does in fact work with sling. :) I can watch OTA channels on my Iphone client. The only glitch is that OTA channels without guide information do not show up at all in the sling guide. They can be tuned to manually, however.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

Protected By... spam firewall...And...