Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I had OTA with Directv And it took the OTA channels and put them into the guide and they were no different then the Directv channels. You could click on them and record them just as you would any channel that was on the Sat. Is this how Dish works?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yes. For many years before DTV, see when we start using 8VSB cartridge for model 5000 and 6000.

BTW, some ppl still using old model 811 (successor of 6000 :rolleyes:) for OTA regardless if it was deactivated and discontinued.

Edited by P Smith, 02 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Interesting link. Guess it's closer than we think!

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

nothing on the dish site yet...it just says it's out of stock.

Keep checking!

**edit**
There is a manual on the website....

http://www.mydish.co...am.ashx?ID=2731

Some ppl doesn't know how to rotate a page before making PDF :(

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Some ppl doesn't know how to rotate a page before making PDF :(

The second page (which is more interesting) looks fine.
They could have rotated the first page and left the second page narrow but that would require special handling when printing.

But at the end of the day, complaining about the PDF is like complaining that one's bonus check is printed in an unpleasant font. Cash the check, be happy. We finally have public proof that OTA really is coming for the Hopper.

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

You're always say something opposite when I'm criticize the company...

It's official document, not telling any printer have setting to rotate a page according it's orientation, you're always siding with them, I know.

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

"Always" is such a lovely word ... why don't we just stick with the topic and not get into attacks that have nothing to do with OTA on the Hopper?

#48 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

The PDF pages are oriented like that so there is no special formatting required when printing on your printer. You only need to rotate it to view it if you don't want to print it. Any PDF reader will do this...

Anywhoo... This is a good thing for me since DISH doesn't carry my locals in HD yet. I don't need PTA, so it's no big loss for me either way. I will be glad to get my locals to all TV's, not just to the main TV and have to switch inputs to get to them :)

#49 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm with the crowd that thinks this is good news.

#50 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

I think it's good news, too... problem is, we know it wasn't last summer... Dish never said which summer...

We do know that there is a manual, though... :)

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#51 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

We do know that there is a manual, though... :)

We know more than that. We know there is a firmware version that supports the OTA adapter, because the manual has screen shots.

#52 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

We know more than that. We know there is a firmware version that supports the OTA adapter, because the manual has screen shots.

And what exactly version number support OTA ?

#53 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'm asking again.
I had OTA with Directv And it took the OTA channels and put them into the guide and they were no different then the Directv channels. You could click on them and record them just as you would any channel that was on the Sat. Is this how Dish works?

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm asking again.

Yes. That is how it works on DISH's other receivers and that is how it is expected to work on the Hopper.

#55 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

Always the pessimist, are we? Concentrating on what we do not know rather than on what we do.

We simply do not know what firmware version was used to make the screenshots. It may be an internal test-only version of the software. I chose my words carefully. However, we can clearly see that someone has written the code to make the OTA Tuner work, which I believe to be a significant step towards getting the OTA Tuner released. It is evidence that the tuner is no longer vaporware, but in the actual product development pipeline (and probably quite far along it, since this manual was released publicly.)

#56 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

I think vaporware is something that is not in consumers hands. :)

In the meantime... I'll just wait and smile. :)

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#57 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I do know what version number supports OTA but it is not released to the public, it is still in beta testing.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#58 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yes. That is how it works on DISH's other receivers and that is how it is expected to work on the Hopper.

Thanks

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Always the pessimist, are we? Concentrating on what we do not know rather than on what we do.

We simply do not know what firmware version was used to make the screenshots. It may be an internal test-only version of the software. I chose my words carefully. However, we can clearly see that someone has written the code to make the OTA Tuner work, which I believe to be a significant step towards getting the OTA Tuner released. It is evidence that the tuner is no longer vaporware, but in the actual product development pipeline (and probably quite far along it, since this manual was released publicly.)

Ask me and I will make same presentation/PDF for any of your weird request: say - trim recordings and remove commercial breaks from any event. :D

#60 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

As usual, when's it gonna be ready? Real Soon Now (tm/c Dish Network 2002)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...