Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA for Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

It's just [well known] one of dirty PR methods to bring down your opponent when you have nothing to say factually.
I'm skipping his buffonades and escapades as a miniscule noise of moscitos around CPU inside of a computer ... hehe

It's definitely best not to feed the trolls. :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

It's just [well known] one of dirty PR methods to bring down your opponent when you have nothing to say factually.

Is that not what YOU are doing with your consistent insults of DISH engineers?
Just dirty statements insulting people you don't know about work you don't know much about?

From your hacking (not signal theft, just old school hacking) you told us months ago which tuner the Hopper would support. Can you tell us which firmware version first could actively use a USB tuner? Or can I add that to the list of things you don't know?

#123 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Is that not what YOU are doing with your consistent insults of DISH engineers?
Just dirty statements insulting people you don't know about work you don't know much about?

From your hacking (not signal theft, just old school hacking) you told us months ago which tuner the Hopper would support. Can you tell us which firmware version first could actively use a USB tuner? Or can I add that to the list of things you don't know?

See, Reaper, here another [now more subtle] PR trick: skew from technical standpoint of discussion ["Can you tell us which firmware version first could actively use a USB tuner?"] to create negative perception of the opponent - add some negativity to the person: "From your hacking".

Anyway, my personal definition of these SW coder who still making same buggy product for a few generation of devices is supporting by a literal myriad of posts here and there...

#124 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

So you cannot tell us the software version?

Hacking isn't a bad thing ... theft is, which is why I specifically excluded theft when I complimented you on your work. But the ability to peek under the hood and inside the firmware that is freely available via satellite isn't a crime. Don't take a compliment as an insult. I wish the term hacker was not used for thieves. It can be a noble pursuit.

That being said, I look forward to DISH releasing their product.

#125 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yes. When the OTA USB tuner will be in my hands, I'll answer to other questions.

For now I'll not get deeper then to say: these SW ppl has no honor nor integrity as engineers when they're making not just SW coding, but when they're fabricating evaluations by VP requests. Follow to totally disgusting corporate 'ethics'.

#126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Whoa, your response is a little over the top Stewart. It's just one guy's opinion. He wasn't even making an assertion, he stated: "Perhaps..." There is such a thing as freedom of speech after all.

P Smith is saying maybe all the smart people left... and the only ones left are stupid.

I'm betting that doesn't win him any friends with any current Dish/Echostar employees. It may be his opinion, but it doesn't seem to have any basis in reality.

I'm skipping his buffonades and escapades as a miniscule noise of moscitos around CPU inside of a computer ... hehe

I'm sorry, but what?

You're actually saying that I and others aren't providing facts and you are?

Please... I ask you for your proof of the things you have said.

Where is the proof that the smart engineers left?
Where is the proof that OTA on the Hopper causes problems with PTAT?

You said I and others are arguing without providing facts... so, where are your facts?

I would love to see them... because I know they don't exist, otherwise you would have posted them.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#127 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I could post names of these good SW developers who left the company, but I'm have no permission from then to do that here.

As to facts, see how many bugs posting here ...

#128 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

I could post names of these good SW developers who left the company, but I'm have no permission from then to do that here.

As to facts, see how many bugs posting here ...

If you can't post names, why even bring it up?

I could start lots of threads with "I know a secret but I can't tell you" and nobody would ever know if I actually have a secret or proof or not... what would be the point in that?

I haven't seen anyone posting bugs about the OTA adapter and PTAT since it hasn't been released yet.

There's also nothing in any bugs I have seen posted that lead me to believe any of the things said about OTA and PTAT having "conflicts" is even remotely true.

And since you said you don't have one... and it isn't released yet... on what grounds are you going to assert you know it isn't coming out and conflicts with PTAT because the programmers don't know how to do it?

I never declared anything as fact... I've expressed doubt at the absolute fact some seem to be saying about things that haven't come out yet.

#129 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm not siding with fan-boys, just connecting dots and bringing my own opinion(s) ...
BTW, if you would be a participant of Linux development forums, you would find some names from estar and other side company who has been there but not anymore.
Some of them well known guys and some of them has a word about that time. I wouldn't say it was a pleasant word ...
Also, to clarify some other inquisitions - in professional circle some process has a name: reverse engineering; I don't need someone's guess to say many companies doing such work very intensively.

#130 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

There are not conflict issues

#131 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

There are not conflict issues

Well, said A, say B: what's the problem if promised 'summer' passed away, but we can see only a manual on dish site but the device ?

#132 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Well, said A, say B: what's the problem if promised 'summer' passed away, but we can see only a manual on dish site but the device ?

I think that means it hasn't been released yet... so people shouldn't go around asserting what it can and cannot do when you don't know what you are talking about.

#133 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I think that means it hasn't been released yet... so people shouldn't go around asserting what it can and cannot do when you don't know what you are talking about.

Hey, Mod. Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ;)
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#134 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Star Trek is on Tonight on METV. DIsh does not carry it on the Sat so we must have the OTA USB over the air tuner to get the local channels.
Also there is My Network TV, local Weather channels, PBS Create, PBS Kids, PBS in HD, CW in HD ect.

I wonder how many hopper customers dont know they are missing a lot of local channels. I mention this so when they come to this site they can be educated and can make an informed choice on if they care about OTA. Also in case Dish reads these posts they will know some people still want the OTA tuner and they should put more man hours on it and get it done.

My new hope is they release the USB tuner by Thanks Giving.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#135 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Friendly moderator direction... Please watch the name-calling. Regardless of your opinion or position in any discussion, name-calling is not allowed. Please discuss the topic without attacking each other.

Thanks!

#136 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I too am waiting for info, but I hope they take something away from how DirecTV implemented OTA on the HR-34. If Dish doesn't stream OTA to the Joey's then it's worthless to me. I don't really care about PTAT as much as I do about available tuners and ability to record multiple locations. I wish Dish would hurry with this because I do prefer their line up to DirecTV now that AMC is back. I'm basically waiting out the Dish OTA solution.
BAN the FCC!

#137 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

...of course it streams OTA to the Joeys, THE OTA IS ANOTHER TUNER. Just like the other 3 tuners the Joey can already access.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#138 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

...of course it streams OTA to the Joeys, THE OTA IS ANOTHER TUNER. Just like the other 3 tuners the Joey can already access.

Never really gave it much thought but I hope you are right!

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#139 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

I hope we are simply waiting on something simple like FCC approval or some kind of cert like that. You know those funny cert numbers we see on electronics that they don't interfer with othe radio devices. This is a new device and in some cases the main box is connected to the phone line or Internet.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#140 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm not siding with fan-boys, just connecting dots and bringing my own opinion(s) ...

Regrettably, your opinions seem to look a lot like statements of fact.

I understand that you have trouble putting words together in coherent English sentences, but you need to read what you write and make sure it represents what you intended to express and with the appropriate level of authority.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall