Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing Guide Info WTF

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

2 times today this message popped up on my 46 inch HD Screen. Missing Guide Info: Your receiver has not received guide information from the satellite for the past 4 hours Please contact DIRECTV. This has never happend before. What is going on?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sounds like you should Please contact DIRECTV.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well I selected ok and everything went back to working fine. All of my Guide Data is there. It worked fine for a while then it popped back up on the screen again. I select ok and the message goes away and all my channels are working fine. I did a reset on the receiver that has been getting the message my other receiver in the other room has not shown the message. It's just the receiver in the den where I have been watching television.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

What dish do you have?
What are the signal strengths?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

i did a reset and it seems everything is fine now.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

I tmight be fine, but you could also have sat reception issues that are causing the guide data not to populate correctly. So it might just end up coming back again in the next day or so. Check your sat signal strengths and what dish you have and we can tell you if that is the issue or not.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Any chance you're from Mississippi or one of the other states that are under the influence of Isaac?

If your view of 119W is obscured by Isaac, that would explain why you're having guide troubles.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

2 times today this message popped up on my 46 inch HD Screen. Missing Guide Info: Your receiver has not received guide information from the satellite for the past 4 hours Please contact DIRECTV. This has never happend before. What is going on?

I had this happen on several of my receivers last week......I was wondering WTF?? when I realized there had been a REALLY nasty thunder/lightning storm the night before. Reset the only receivers I thought I was having the problem with and then they were OK...then a couple days later I saw the same issue with my upstairs DVR that I seldom actually "look" at....saw the lights on the DECA were out too...Red Button Reset cleared it all up and I was back in business.

#9 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I would run a system test on the unit if you get a code in the 40's call DIRECTV unless your in the Isaac influence than wait till that blows over.
A work around if your continuing to get this OSD is to tune to a SD channel off the 101 sat the unit will default to downloading the guide from that channel and it will help reduce the OSD appearance.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#10 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

In all probability your dish needs reaiming. That was the solution when I recently had the same problem. The tech also changed out a decade old LNB for a tiny new one. The Missing Guide Info message stopped after 12 hours.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#11 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I can give you a couple of clear possibilities if I know what type of ODU that you have.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#12 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I am in Mississippi and it probably was cloud cover from Issac

#13 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I am in Mississippi and it probably was cloud cover from Issac

Maybe but also knowing his setup should help. Because if he has a slimline 5 lnb, and the 110 or 119 is blocked by a obstruction can also cause this problem as the guide is want those channel info.

#14 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

My dish is The Slimline 5 and everything is working fine

#15 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is a great forum, but if a message saying "Please contact DirecTV" appears on my screen I think I would actually give them a call.

The CSR's don't bite...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

This is a great forum, but if a message saying "Please contact DirecTV" appears on my screen I think I would actually give them a call.

The CSR's don't bite...

Regrettably, more than a few of them suck.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Regrettably, more than a few of them suck.

When was the last time that you spoke with one? :grin:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#18 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

The CSR's don't bite...

Or if you're getting a 24 hour long feeder band dumping non-stop, mostly HEAVY rain on you, you just consider THAT is the problem...:rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

If you have a slimeline-5, then you will get the message if you are tuned to a channel on the 103 satellite and you have lost the signal from the 119 satellite. The best workaround I have found is to tune to a SD channel (I used DIY Network) before you turn off your receiver. That way, while you are not actually watching anything, your receiver is getting the guide data from the 101 satellite.

The two long term fixes are to realign the dish if that will help to get the signal from 119 or to switch the LNB to a slimeline-3, which always gets the guide data from 101. I had neighbors trees blocking my view to 119, but since I am on the East Coast and do not care about Spanish Language programming, I had no need for 119. I replaced my slimeline- with a slimeline-3 and have not had any problems since.

#20 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

This "119 guide data" situation still puzzles me.

So if you have HD and a slimline 5 dish, the receiver tries to get it's guide data from the 119 but if you have a slimline 3 it gets it from the 101?

What satellite do MY receivers get their guide data from since I get the 101, 110, and 119? (I don't have HD) :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall