Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Missing Guide Info WTF

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

This "119 guide data" situation still puzzles me.

So if you have HD and a slimline 5 dish, the receiver tries to get it's guide data from the 119 but if you have a slimline 3 it gets it from the 101?

What satellite do MY receivers get their guide data from since I get the 101, 110, and 119? (I don't have HD) :confused:

With non-SWM HD, the receiver gets guide data from either 101 or 119, depending which HD satellite you are tuned to, as it changes back and forth due to the stack plan.
SWM always gets it from 101
Non-HD gets it from 101 if tuned to a national channel or 119 if tuned to a local or 119 channel I believe.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

This is a great forum, but if a message saying "Please contact DirecTV" appears on my screen I think I would actually give them a call.

Most people here would not, at least until they had tried to grok the situation with the help of the vast experience represented here. [including several non-subs of DirecTV.]

I, for one, pride myself for solving technical problems without calling the Mfg. or provider unless necessary.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

With non-SWM HD, the receiver gets guide data from either 101 or 119, depending which HD satellite you are tuned to, as it changes back and forth due to the stack plan.
SWM always gets it from 101
Non-HD gets it from 101 if tuned to a national channel or 119 if tuned to a local or 119 channel I believe.

Makes sense since the guide data is obviously transmitted both on the 101 and the 119. (Otherwise, how would folks with 18" single LNB dish get guide data?)

I wonder why they don't transmit the guide data on the HD satellites? What if someone records LOTS of HD shows and both of their DVR's tuners are tuned to the HD satellites for many hours? No guide data update? :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Makes sense since the guide data is obviously transmitted both on the 101 and the 119. (Otherwise, how would folks with 18" single LNB dish get guide data?)

I wonder why they don't transmit the guide data on the HD satellites? What if someone records LOTS of HD shows and both of their DVR's tuners are tuned to the HD satellites for many hours? No guide data update? :confused:

I believe all HD receivers have a third tuner for guide data only.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,309 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I believe all HD receivers have a third tuner for guide data only.

Essentially. It doesn't count as a third tuner for end user applications, not sure it's really a third tuner like the normal ones.

#26 OFFLINE   Lowry666

Lowry666

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Can anyone tell me which transponders on which sats have the guide info? I seem to be having the same problem as the original poster, and maybe my dish in need of a tuneup.

Thanks,
Lowry

#27 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Most people here would not, at least until they had tried to grok the situation with the help of the vast experience represented here. [including several non-subs of DirecTV.]

I, for one, pride myself for solving technical problems without calling the Mfg. or provider unless necessary.

I bet you don't stop to ask for driving directions either. ;) :lol:

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Can anyone tell me which transponders on which sats have the guide info?

The transponder information isn't particularly useful as you cannot reasonably peak to a particular transponder.

Which slots have the guide data depends on your LNB configuration. Do you know specifically which LNB setup you have (single, Phase III, Ka/Ku 3, Ka/Ku 5)?

If you have a whole slot (or evens or odds) that are giving you poor CONUS signals, that's where you probably need to be concerned.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...