Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#251 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

How is the HD PQ and sound quality with Samsung RVU? Is it the same as the HR-44 and HR-24?

As far as PQ/SQ I couldn't see a difference between the RVU client and a mini client attached to a UN40ES6100 for programming. Where I saw a difference was in the PQ of the menus and performance when using DVR controls.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#252 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

As far as PQ/SQ I couldn't see a difference between the RVU client and a mini client attached to a UN40ES6100 for programming. Where I saw a difference was in the PQ of the menus and performance when using DVR controls.

I guess the menus and DVR controls were slower? Would that be DTV's fault or Samsungs? Maybe the Samsung Smart TV's need that Quad Core Processor and more ram that the 2013 and 2014 models have to make the menu's and DVR controls faster. I have the 2012 55" ES 7500 with just the Dual Core Processor. Not sure how much ram it has.

Just curious does the HD DVR on all the time for the DTV RVU HDTV to work?

Edited by CraigerM, 17 April 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#253 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Nope, just connected to AC outlet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#254 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

I guess the menus and DVR controls were slower? Would that be DTV's fault or Samsungs? Maybe the Samsung Smart TV's need that Quad Core Processor and more ram that the 2013 and 2014 models have to make the menu's and DVR controls faster. I have the 2012 55" ES 7500 with just the Dual Core Processor. Not sure how much ram it has.

DVR controls were slower, plus you couldn't stack/queue skips, especially bad for skip back, took 2 to 3 seconds to do each skip back. The GU screens looked like they are rendered at 480i, just not as clear. I blame Samsung for the issues since there have been other client issues that are fixed after a TV firmware update. Maybe newer sets are better but I haven't seen a place where you could check it out in a store.

#255 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I just purchase a samsung un32eh5300 and want to set it up  a client tv but was told by tech support i have to have a wired connection between my tv and router , these are in two different rooms it there any other way. I know about genie mini i will go that route if i have to other chose.

thank you

#256 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

I just purchase a samsung un32eh5300 and want to set it up  a client tv but was told by tech support i have to have a wired connection between my tv and router , these are in two different rooms it there any other way. I know about genie mini i will go that route if i have to other chose.

thank you

Although not supported an YMMV, you can use an ethernet bridge.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#257 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

i's  amazing how Directv CS has no clue about activating/install a TV client or Directv ready TV as they call in now, I spoke to 3 CS reps and all had different answers even Sony and samsung support sites don't match what directv say.if they are going to promote this they need to get a special team who knows whats going on. the answers varied from the coax to TV should work to need a deca to need ethernet cable from TV straight to router. :bang

Edited by tonyc, 07 May 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#258 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

i's  amazing how Directv CS has no clue about activating/install a TV client or Directv ready TV as they call in now, I spoke to 3 CS reps and all had different answers even Sony and samsung support sites don't match what directv say.if they are going to promote this they need to get a special team who knows whats going on. the answers varied from the coax to TV should work to need a deca to need ethernet cable from TV straight to router. :bang

Agree.  DirecTV really needs to get on this, PRONTO

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#259 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thank you for your help but could you give me a little more info, sorry not sure what YMMV is.

#260 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

YMMV = You Mileage May Vary, meaning your success may be different than that of others.  this comes in context when I mention using an ethernet bridge.  an ethernet bridge is a device that connect via ethernet to your TV but connect wirelessly to your network.  This device will trick your TV is connected through ethernet as such let you use the RVU feature.  but since not all networks are the same, it may or may not work for you.  thus, YMMV.

Tip of the Day.  When you see acronyms being used online, you can start by searching here

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=ymmv

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#261 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

WOW what an adventure i should of just listen to you OG's here and stuck with a Genie-Mini, after speaking with several  Tech support people and getting different answers i emailed  Directv to let them know the problem and suggest they get a dictated team for Client Tv setup , Resolution team called me back said they would transfer me to someone who could help me,guess what this lady was the most clueless of them all, she thought  i wanted to activate a receiver after explaining to her what I was trying to do she tells me do you want to buy a receiver, before I lost it i asked to speak to her supervisor He assured me he could help me, he could not, I said forget it i will use a mini genie he asked me to let them send a tech out to try first. the tech came out this afternoon he did know much but he called some and figured it out. Now the kicker is after all that i did not know you could not use any directv remotes you have to use the Samsung!

its response is good but the buttons are all different  :bang  !rolling  :nono2:

#262 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Now the kicker is after all that i did not know you could not use any directv remotes you have to use the Samsung!
its response is good but the buttons are all different  :bang  !rolling  :nono2:

Unless something has changed recently, the RC71 will work if you program it with code 54000, at least worked with my 2012 model Samsung.

#263 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

It worked thank you RAD i made the same mistake and call tech support :sure:

#264 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

The tech came out today took my wireless CCK at my HR 34 and removed the coax cable from the CCK took A ethernet  came plugged it in to the HR34 and to the CCK and took the coax from the wall and connected it straight to the HR34, on the TV side there is A Deca II connected it worked.

#265 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

It worked thank you RAD i made the same mistake and call tech support :sure:

Keep in mind that if you want ti use the "smart" feature of your flat screen, you need to use your Samsung remote. for this very same reason, in this case a Logitech or similar remote is recommended 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#266 OFFLINE   Temoryian

Temoryian

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

Hey guys,

I just received a 2014 Samsung H6350 that is DirecTV ready.  I have an HR34 with a wireless CCK and 3 H24's.  I called Directv to have it set up after speaking with their IT support online who told me that I could only activate it by calling in.  The rep told me to take the DECA from one of the H24's that I would no longer be using and hook it up to the back of the Samsung TV.  When I do this the DECA doesn't power up.  The tech told me that she thought that it was the DECA that was buggy and that they would send me another one and that hopefully will solve the problem.  Does this sound right to you guys?  Also when I hit source on my TV it shows Directv RVU and shows the HR34 in the master bedroom.  Thanks for any pointers.  

#267 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,727 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

The rep told me to take the DECA from one of the H24's that I would no longer be using and hook it up to the back of the Samsung TV.  When I do this the DECA doesn't power up.  The tech told me that she thought that it was the DECA that was buggy and that they would send me another one and that hopefully will solve the problem.

The rep is not well informed. The H24 doesn't use a DECA adapter as DECA is built-in.

You need a CCK to convert DECA to Ethernet for the TV. It includes a DECA adapter and the necessary wall wart to power it.

The other options are to run a cable from the router or a nearby switch or roll the dice with Wi-fi.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#268 OFFLINE   Temoryian

Temoryian

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

The CCK is in the master bedroom with the HR34.  After reading more I think I just need a power supply for the DECA.  When hooked up to the back of a DirecTV receiver they power up but by themselves they need a power source right?  Maybe I have H25's I can't remember but I have a DECA.

#269 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

There should not be a DECA behind the HR24 or H25, they both have DECA built in. You do need a power supply for the DECA behind your Samsung tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#270 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hey guys,

I just received a 2014 Samsung H6350 that is DirecTV ready.  I have an HR34 with a wireless CCK and 3 H24's.  I called Directv to have it set up after speaking with their IT support online who told me that I could only activate it by calling in.  The rep told me to take the DECA from one of the H24's that I would no longer be using and hook it up to the back of the Samsung TV.  When I do this the DECA doesn't power up.  The tech told me that she thought that it was the DECA that was buggy and that they would send me another one and that hopefully will solve the problem.  Does this sound right to you guys?  Also when I hit source on my TV it shows Directv RVU and shows the HR34 in the master bedroom.  Thanks for any pointers.  

Well I hope your TV works better than mine did (UN32EH5300) after the tv comes on it took a while to connect to the RVU server(HR34)

#271 OFFLINE   cdninnyc

cdninnyc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Have a 2014 Samsung HU9000. Activated RVU 2 weeks ago (no thanks to clueless DTV rep. Actually tried to convince me the coax port on the TV would power the deca. Ya right).

Anyway, I have, since connecting, had it working ok via ethernet cable direct to router. Rest of DTV boxes are a mix of H22, 23, 24 and one H34, all connected via deca.

As of this morning, TV is now saying it is not "authorized" to RVU. (DTV Error message, not TV)

Spent an hour on the phone with DTV CS (clueless). Had DTV remove the client, reset H34/Genie, finally got the Samsung set removed. TV still says unauthorized, not able to pair via PIN. Can't find a way to reset TV to factory default, only to reset Smart Hub settings. Sending a tech out next week but there's no way whoever they send is going to know what's going on.

I know I'm likely in the 1% of 1% of DTV owners, and I'm used to fixing things myself, but I'm thinking since the TV can see the network, and can get to the Genie, that it's not a TV issues, it's a DTV issue. However, DTV is beyond clueless with this stuff which is so frustrating. The rep said multiple times that "there is not another employee working for DTV that knows any more than her" about this stuff. 1st level tech support - wouldn't transfer me to another level.

FWIW - the only reason I don't have an external box on this TV is that the TV only passes through Dolby 5.1 through optical out to my Sonos on RVU (can't do it from external box - even though other devices can (ATV/Computer etc) - sorry; off topic a bit).

One last thing - Samsung auto-updated software this morning to 1125. Could that alone have broken the RVU connection? I can't see a way to roll back to the previous firmware but I guess I could research that some more online.

#272 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

One last thing - Samsung auto-updated software this morning to 1125. Could that alone have broken the RVU connection? I can't see a way to roll back to the previous firmware but I guess I could research that some more online.

most likely as the message that you are getting means that the RVU client is not on the Genie's database

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#273 OFFLINE   cdninnyc

cdninnyc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

It's not in Dbase anymore. Dtv took it out and it updated the genie which now says no locations. Adding a location requires a pin to be entered into TV, but Samsung thinks it is already set up. (Dtv added it back in on their end)

Does anyone know how to reset the samsung rvu settings so I can reenter the pin given by genie?

I'm worried dtv is going to pass the buck and try to get me to return the tv. Not happening

#274 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

On a genie mini we hold the power button for 20 seconds. You might look in the TV menu.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#275 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

DirecTV needs to add all DirecTV ready TV's to the Genie database, otherwise you will get the "not authorized" message.  Perhaps the new software for the TV mess that up

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...