Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

How does overscan apply in the context of high definition video?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

How does overscan apply in the context of high definition video?

Really? It's an undesirable effect of certain software/hardware combos. Doesn't mean the rest of the picture is or is not HD.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#203 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Why would running at something other than 1:1 be desirable?

I can't imagine that the scaling hardware is set up to be widely adjustable in terms of taking a source and lopping off a fraction of a percent.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#204 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Doesn't matter what you think. Many 1080p TVs come with a default overscan to avoid the occasional artifacts showing on the edge of the screen. You then have to reset the TV to the 1:1 setting. I've noticed that Broadcasters are showing fewer and fewer artifacts in recent months. It's been a while since I have seen any. 

#205 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

It's been a while since I have seen any.

Is that because programmers are using more overscan or delivering fewer artifacts?

I'm still not convinced that overscan should necessarily be a good thing; especially with a decided dominance of fixed matrix displays.

#206 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Is that because programmers are using more overscan or delivering fewer artifacts?

I'm still not convinced that overscan should necessarily be a good thing; especially with a decided dominance of fixed matrix displays.

You missed my point - an explanation of fact. I don't use overscan and have observed a disappearance of artifacts. TVs that are shipped with default overscan can be set to 1:1. I had nothing to do with, nor do I agree with the manufacturer's decisions. TV programmers do not set overscan on TVs. The artifacts that I referred to are a remnant of using the overscan area to send sound and other information signals outside of the "old fashioned" viewing area, dating from analog TV days.

#207 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Has anyone been having the issue where you fast forward and it pops up the screen asking if I want to keep or delete the recording? It does that every 2 to 3 times I fast forward. The only way to get rid of it (and get to playing back) is to exit out and select the recoding from the playlist again. My TV is running the latest software release but it seems to have only made the RVU experience worse ( which is hard to do).

#208 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Has anyone been having the issue where you fast forward and it pops up the screen asking if I want to keep or delete the recording? It does that every 2 to 3 times I fast forward. The only way to get rid of it (and get to playing back) is to exit out and select the recoding from the playlist again. My TV is running the latest software release but it seems to have only made the RVU experience worse ( which is hard to do).

Since I don't use the TV's RVU client much can't really answer that, but that bug has been noted by folks running the DIRECTV mini client (C31/C41) and hopefully will be fixed by a future software release to the Genie.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#209 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Since I don't use the TV's RVU client much can't really answer that, but that bug has been noted by folks running the DIRECTV mini client (C31/C41) and hopefully will be fixed by a future software release to the Genie.

You would think they would have addressed this by now if they have known about it. Its certainly not a good impression to give customers. Seems like with Genie and whole-home DirecTV over-complicated things and can't get everything to just work. Fix one thing something else breaks. 

#210 OFFLINE   Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Has anyone tried the RVU functionality with a Samsung UN32F5500?

Samsung says on their website that the F5500 series is RVU capable. But RVU alliance and DirecTV website don't list the F5500. 

RVU Alliance and DirecTV instead list a F5100 series, that I can't find at www.samsung.com/us. 

I e-mailed DirecTV support about this and they said the F5500 was NOT qualified and that I can find a F5100 by Googling it. So I Googled "Samsung F5100 LED" and found that the F5100 has been released in the Southwest Asia market (India) only. I didn't know DirecTV provided service in India. 

Interested in using RVU on a new bedroom TV, but don't want to pay extra for the F6300 that everyone agrees is RVU capable. 

Edited by Hey_Hey, 30 May 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#211 OFFLINE   MrRoarke

MrRoarke

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I just hooked up a UN32F5500 last night and it works just fine.  Ethernet direct into the back of the TV off of my router.  Haven't had a chance to try out any recorded shows, just live TV. 

#212 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I just hooked up a UN32F5500 last night and it works just fine.  Ethernet direct into the back of the TV off of my router.  Haven't had a chance to try out any recorded shows, just live TV. 

Will be interesting to hear using the DVR controls, like SKIP/SLIP, perform on this years models since last years IMHO stinks.

#213 OFFLINE   Poleposition

Poleposition

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

I have RVU running in kitchen on a new Samsung UN40F6400AF.  Works great.  No issues other that the fact that I have no access to the playlist and rew/ffwd and other options with this new smart remote.  Basically no dvr functionality.  Just live tv and full directive guide.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 HR24 500's

1 HR34 700

1 H24

1 RVU
Whole home
Samsung UN65C8000XF 

Samsung UN55F8000

Samsung UN40F6300

2 Samsung UN39FH5000

2 Samsung UN32F5500

Samsung UN46FH5000
Samsung BD-D6700 3D Bluray

3 Samsung Cablevision HD boxes (backup)

Optimum Online Boost Ultra High Speed internet

Mac routers and Mac computers 
Yamaha RX-V1800
Boston Acoustics
Velodyne Subs

DirecTV customer since 1998

#214 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

I have RVU running in kitchen on a new Samsung UN40F6400AF.  Works great.  No issues other that the fact that I have no access to the playlist and rew/ffwd and other options with this new smart remote.  Basically no dvr functionality.  Just live tv and full directive guide.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Order the RC71 remote control, program it with code 54000 and you'll have all the DIRECTV functions available.

#215 OFFLINE   Poleposition

Poleposition

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thx RAD.  So no use of the Samsung remote huh?  Looks cool but seems very non-user friendly.  Also have the bluetooth keyboard so i guess I'd have the best of both worlds.

Thx man

3 HR24 500's

1 HR34 700

1 H24

1 RVU
Whole home
Samsung UN65C8000XF 

Samsung UN55F8000

Samsung UN40F6300

2 Samsung UN39FH5000

2 Samsung UN32F5500

Samsung UN46FH5000
Samsung BD-D6700 3D Bluray

3 Samsung Cablevision HD boxes (backup)

Optimum Online Boost Ultra High Speed internet

Mac routers and Mac computers 
Yamaha RX-V1800
Boston Acoustics
Velodyne Subs

DirecTV customer since 1998

#216 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thx RAD.  So no use of the Samsung remote huh?  Looks cool but seems very non-user friendly.  Also have the bluetooth keyboard so i guess I'd have the best of both worlds.

Thx man

Not familiar with that remote, but the one I have for my 2012 model doesn't have all the keys that map to DIRECTV functions, like skip fwd/REW. There is a PDF that I attached somewhere out here that showed some of the keys and what they map to on that remote.

#217 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

An iPad is a pretty nifty interface as well....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#218 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thx man

Not familiar with that remote, but the one I have for my 2012 model doesn't have all the keys that map to DIRECTV functions, like skip fwd/REW. There is a PDF that I attached somewhere out here that showed some of the keys and what they map to on that remote.

Here's a link to a cheat sheet that I had come across, don't know how much it will help with your remote, http://forums.solids... RVU remote.pdf

#219 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I was having trouble connecting to my NAS thru the smart tv feature. It would connect fine, start playing the video then fail 5 minutes in. Error message was that the NAS disconnected. This was with the stock install using BB deca to the HR 34 and TV. Yesterday I switched out the BB deca to the TV and ran Ethernet to it from the router. Still have BB deca to the receiver. Works much better now. RVU is faster too i think, and I don't get a pause 10-15 seconds in to the show when I change channels. I don't think that MOCA is fast/stable enough.

#220 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have an UN32EH5300 and when I select the RVU option, I only get the "location not authorized" prompt. Never get a chance to enter the PIN. Do I need to do anything special to access the PIN entering stage?

Current setup:

HR44

C41x2

TV hardwired (gigabit)

I saw some discussion of this "location not authorized" prompt in this thread, but I did not see a solution.

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...