Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#221 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have an UN32EH5300 and when I select the RVU option, I only get the "location not authorized" prompt. Never get a chance to enter the PIN. Do I need to do anything special to access the PIN entering stage?

Current setup:

HR44

C41x2

TV hardwired (gigabit)

I saw some discussion of this "location not authorized" prompt in this thread, but I did not see a solution.

Thanks

That means that the model TV isn't supported by DIRECTV as a RVU client. I also don't see it listed at http://www.rvualliance.com/products as being certified. I ran into that also with a different model "SmartTV" which isn't that smart when it comes to RVU. So it's either get a new model TV that supports RVU or I recommend just getting another C41 client from DIRECTV for that set, sorry.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

That means that the model TV isn't supported by DIRECTV as a RVU client. I also don't see it listed at http://www.rvualliance.com/products as being certified. I ran into that also with a different model "SmartTV" which isn't that smart when it comes to RVU. So it's either get a new model TV that supports RVU or I recommend just getting another C41 client from DIRECTV for that set, sorry.

Thanks.

I have a C41 for it, so this was really just my curiosity since I saw it there. Can't leave well enough alone, I guess.

#223 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

That means that the model TV isn't supported by DIRECTV as a RVU client.

Somebody needs to tell Samsung:

http://www.samsung.c...H5300FXZA-specs

(seventh item listed under the Features heading)

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#224 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

And DIRECTV and Samsung said all their 2012 model Smart TV's would be able to use RVU and that turned out to also be incorrect.

#225 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,636 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Sure they all can..... just need a C31 or 41!   :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#226 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have a friend who has a Samsung ES6500 hooked up via RVU and he has freezing with audio dropouts. It's also very slow when changing channels. Latest firmware is installed

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#227 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Finally had my parent's install done 8/24/2013.  Installer showed up with HR44 and three C41s.  Install went well and sent him on the way.  Then I called in and added two additional RVU clients (Samsung UN32F5500 TVs).  I bought DECA adapters off Amazon and installed them myself rather than paying DirecTV $50 each for them.  The CSR on the phone had a bit of trouble because he had never done an RVU client activation for a customer only for install techs.  Eventually after putting me on hold a few times we were able to get it all figured out and up and running.  So my parent's now have the HR44 in the living room and C41s in the kitchen, salon, and family room, and RVU TVs in two of the bedrooms (five clients total).

Everything works great, and I was able to verify my assumption that if you try to turn on a fourth or fifth RVU client while three are already being used you will get a error screen telling you that you have to turn off one of the other clients (it even lists the names of the clients active I believe).  I had taken a picture of the screen to post here, but accidentally deleted it.  The RVU TVs seemed to respond pretty quick for the most part.  When you first turn them on it does take a little bit longer for them to start up, but then they run pretty smooth.  Channel changes take a bit longer than the C41 clients too, but not anything horrible.  Overall I think my parents will be very happy with them.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#228 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

If you haven't done it I'd get RC71 remotes for those RVU TV's, unless something changed on this years remotes the Samsung didn't have the skip fwd/REW keys on them.

#229 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

I already had them and set them up, thanks for recommending it though.

I did use the Samsung remote included with the TV for a few minutes and everything seemed to work pretty straight forward with DirecTV that I tried.  I don't remember trying any trick play stuff or anything though.  I planned on using the RC71 as the primary remote anyway though so my parent's have the same remote on most TVs in the house (the living room and family room with have Harmony 650s).

Edited by Beerstalker, 28 August 2013 - 08:33 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#230 OFFLINE   sfenton

sfenton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Finally had my parent's install done 8/24/2013.  Installer showed up with HR44 and three C41s.  Install went well and sent him on the way.  Then I called in and added two additional RVU clients (Samsung UN32F5500 TVs).  I bought DECA adapters off Amazon and installed them myself rather than paying DirecTV $50 each for them.  The CSR on the phone had a bit of trouble because he had never done an RVU client activation for a customer only for install techs.  Eventually after putting me on hold a few times we were able to get it all figured out and up and running.  So my parent's now have the HR44 in the living room and C41s in the kitchen, salon, and family room, and RVU TVs in two of the bedrooms (five clients total).

Everything works great, and I was able to verify my assumption that if you try to turn on a fourth or fifth RVU client while three are already being used you will get a error screen telling you that you have to turn off one of the other clients (it even lists the names of the clients active I believe).  I had taken a picture of the screen to post here, but accidentally deleted it.  The RVU TVs seemed to respond pretty quick for the most part.  When you first turn them on it does take a little bit longer for them to start up, but then they run pretty smooth.  Channel changes take a bit longer than the C41 clients too, but not anything horrible.  Overall I think my parents will be very happy with them.

I just called to try and activate my UN32F5500 and the CSR would not do it because it is not on the list.

It is listed on the RVU alliance page but not on the Directv page.

Did you have any issues about the model number when you called?

#231 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

No, he never even asked for the model number.  He originally asked for the serial number, but then realized he didn't need that and never asked for it on the second TV we activated.

Sounds like the CSR you were dealing with doesn't know the correct way to do it.  Call back and try again.  Make sure to at least talk to the Access Card department (or whatever it is called) just like  you would to find out about buying a used receiver, etc.

-by Jack Handy

#232 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

I can not set the cities I want in the weather TV app. When I select edit cities the frame for entering the city name shrinks to the size of the PIG and goes to the upper left hand corner of the screen. This is with a Samsung UN40ES6100 running the latest Samsung firmware and paired with a HR34.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#233 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Never had this happen before - and I apologize for not skimming comments to look for prev posts:

Watching a program dvr'd a few days earlier, a static banner advert for BEST BUY popped up in the lower lh corner. After i realized it wasn't going away on its own, I switched my Harmony to control of the Samsung "SMART" 6100 alone and pressed EXIT and the advert disappeared.

NO controls for D* did anything.

Wha?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#234 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Watching a program dvr'd a few days earlier, a static banner advert for BEST BUY popped up in the lower lh corner. After i realized it wasn't going away on its own, I switched my Harmony to control of the Samsung "SMART" 6100 alone and pressed EXIT and the advert disappeared.

NO controls for D* did anything.

-----------------------------------

GOTCHA!  

Went into the Smart Hub and after looking through several of the many apps I never use - I wandered into SyncPlus.  Turns out that has living inside it something called Yahoo Interactive.  By default this is turned on!  And it looks like the source of that Best Buy advert - since one of the features is Best Buy goodies it says.  

Anyway, inside the settings was a toggle for turning Yahoo Interactive ON or OFF.  OFF it now is and I'll watch for an recurrence of the sneaky advert.

#235 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Anyone happen to know if the new Samsung Smart Media Player may support RVU? It'd be pretty sweet to have all those apps, cablecard and directv all in one box! :D

http://www.samsung.c...rom_mobile=true

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#236 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Anyone happen to know if the new Samsung Smart Media Player may support RVU? It'd be pretty sweet to have all those apps, cablecard and directv all in one box! :D

http://www.samsung.c...rom_mobile=true

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Nope.  it does not have RVU, although since it supports DLNA, the capability is there.

http://www.rvualliance.com/products

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#237 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Has anyone had any problems with picture quality using RVU?  I'm running a Genie HR34 and using a Samsung F6300 as an RVU client.  The quality on my primary tv is fine, but watching through RVU is horrible.  The image is very pixelated - feels like watching a youtube video at 480 resolution, and the response with the DirecTv remote is extremely slow and buggy.  Often fast forwarding or rewinding will cause pre-recorded shows to freeze and I have to exit out and restart it from the List view.  The Samsung manual actually says it requires CAT7 cable (10GB), but there are very few vendors that even carry them.  I found a few on Amazon, but the prices are very high for ethernet cable.  (Monoprice doesn't even carry them.)  Could this really be the problem?  I'm using CAT5 and CAT6 on the network - was going to try swapping out the CAT5 but thought I'd check here and see what I really need.

Thanks!

#238 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Has anyone had any problems with picture quality using RVU?  I'm running a Genie HR34 and using a Samsung F6300 as an RVU client.  The quality on my primary tv is fine, but watching through RVU is horrible.  The image is very pixelated - feels like watching a youtube video at 480 resolution, and the response with the DirecTv remote is extremely slow and buggy.  Often fast forwarding or rewinding will cause pre-recorded shows to freeze and I have to exit out and restart it from the List view.  The Samsung manual actually says it requires CAT7 cable (10GB), but there are very few vendors that even carry them.  I found a few on Amazon, but the prices are very high for ethernet cable.  (Monoprice doesn't even carry them.)  Could this really be the problem?  I'm using CAT5 and CAT6 on the network - was going to try swapping out the CAT5 but thought I'd check here and see what I really need.

Thanks!

The cable is not the problem.  how is your HR34 connected to your network?

Welcome to DBSTalk!!!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#239 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks - and thanks for the quick response!  They installed a splitter and a deca converter  (there was some confusion about whether it was necessary or not since I only have one client) but I've tried it both through the deca and straight from the ethernet port on the DVR.  The line runs into my router and out to my TV.

*bump*  Hoping someone has run into this before?

Edited by Dalz, 06 December 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#240 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just an update to my previous.  After using RVU for the past week, I find it absolutely terrible.  Picture quality remains horrendous, extreme lag between remote commands and actual execution, frequent freezing where playback no longer continues (have to hit Exit to get out, and you lose any buffered content), and all of the issues I mentioned above.  Is anyone using RVU with acceptable performance?

spam firewall