Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   aquatic

aquatic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

Been reading up.... and just to confirm.. 

I have a MOCA setup, WH, all connected up and working flawlessly--internet connections, etc.   HR44, with one C41W Wireless client set up.   

Bought a Sammy H5500 (2014 model) with Built in RVU.   Got past the PIN Code thing, and it's talking to the Genie--it'll let me "Replace" the C41W, but can't add a new one--need to call in and get another connection authorized (so they can bill me another $6).   Talked with CSR (who again, had little to no clue, but was willing to try things) and was about ready to try do it and their system went down.    So... will probably try again this afternoon.  

Questions:    

Do I seriously need a BB DECA with power and wires and crud to make this work?  It already talks nicely (it appears) to the Genie/HR44, but needs the additional authorization granted.     

Seems as though (reading in here) that an ethernet connection from my home network would work, (that's how I got to where I was with the "Call DTV" thing), so why would a DECA be required?   

IF DTV "requires"  it to be on the MOCA network for performance/speed/bandwidth reasons, Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get the TV to connect to the wireless bridge that my C41W connects to?   It's close, good signal, etc.   They've passworded it, and the bridge isn't set up like a router--press a button to connect kinda thing.   THAT is my preference and I haven't seen anything specific on DTV site or Sammy site that says that's not possible.   

Oh yeah.. the $49 truck roll..  I laughed.   $49 to MAYBE have to put in a DECA (Blech) and make a 2 minute call to activate a new "license" so the Genie will drive the RVU... come on.   

I'll follow up later today/tomorrow with any solution/fix I can get.    

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

Questions:    

Do I seriously need a BB DECA with power and wires and crud to make this work?  It already talks nicely (it appears) to the Genie/HR44, but needs the additional authorization granted.    This is the only approved method.  There is a test on the HR44 that may prevent you from activating the RVU TV, part it seems that you got passed that somehow

Seems as though (reading in here) that an ethernet connection from my home network would work, (that's how I got to where I was with the "Call DTV" thing), so why would a DECA be required?   As I said above, is the only approved method. You can of course connect with ethernet, but any issues with it, and yo are on your own to trouble shoot.  If a tech is required,they must install DECA as they are not there to trouble your own network 

IF DTV "requires"  it to be on the MOCA network for performance/speed/bandwidth reasons, Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get the TV to connect to the wireless bridge that my C41W connects to?   As you are aware, the Wireless Video Bridge uses a "proprietary" network, and RVU TV only works on ethernet right now

It's close, good signal, etc.   They've passworded it, and the bridge isn't set up like a router--press a button to connect kinda thing.   THAT is my preference and I haven't seen anything specific on DTV site or Sammy site that says that's not possible.   Well is confined, is not possible 

Oh yeah.. the $49 truck roll..  I laughed.   $49 to MAYBE have to put in a DECA (Blech) and make a 2 minute call to activate a new "license" so the Genie will drive the RVU... come on.   

I'll follow up later today/tomorrow with any solution/fix I can get.    

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#303 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Questions:    

Do I seriously need a BB DECA with power and wires and crud to make this work?  It already talks nicely (it appears) to the Genie/HR44, but needs the additional authorization granted.    This is the only approved method.  There is a test on the HR44 that may prevent you from activating the RVU TV, part it seems that you got passed that somehow

Seems as though (reading in here) that an ethernet connection from my home network would work, (that's how I got to where I was with the "Call DTV" thing), so why would a DECA be required?   As I said above, is the only approved method. You can of course connect with ethernet, but any issues with it, and yo are on your own to trouble shoot.  If a tech is required,they must install DECA as they are not there to trouble your own network   

I thought wireless to the Genie was on the approved list! No? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#304 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

I thought wireless to the Genie was on the approved list! No? 

Wireless to the Genie and to the Genie mine wireless, yes, wireless to RVU TV, NO

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#305 OFFLINE   aquatic

aquatic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

Another call and a CSR who knew what to do.   A few "tries" later, up came the signal on the TV... There's a minor trick that easily glossed over--when you tune in the Genie and get the 4 digit PIN, you have to LEAVE THE GENIE at that point....  then you'll get the prompt to enter the code and continue.    

I called and the CSR knew what to do.    He said that the supported method was DECA,  and it appears that matches with Samsung's firmware---I tired to bump the TV over to wireless connection and RVU, but it errored out and said I needed a WIRED connection.  so I hooked the wire back up and proceeded.   Works great.  Picture is good, sound ,etc.    5500 needs some PQ adjusting tho...  

So, I have a DECA on the way, and have to hook up the coax in the room the new TV is going in with it when it comes in and done.   As I'm hiding it in the wall, shouldn't be an issue to extend the Cat5 into the wall  and run it up to the TV.    

No info about upgrades to be able to go wireless... so the advertising is a BIT misleading... there's going to be AT LEAST power and either coax or Cat5/6 going up the wall or needing to be pulled.      

On the remote front... the Sammy remote can do it all!    List, Guide, quick hop over to the smarTV features,  it's just NOT a DTV remote so the learning curve is a little different.    didn't even need to program it.   "it just works" to steal a phrase.     

I have no issues with the current performance, but will def check it out with the DECA, especially with the smart features, etc.   

#306 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

All rvu requires is ethernet from sam network as genie have rep replace receiver ID with samsung smart tv mac address. Now be patient as most reps do not know how to do that ...but that is the solution. Good luck. Took three over 90 minutes or back and forth calling till I hot one that was clued in. i have same tv in guest bedroom. Un32h5500&lt;br /&gt;<br />
<br />
Directv remote that does it all is 6 dollars on ebay use Sammy code for rvu and set.

Edited by nc88keyz, 18 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#307 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for posting the solution, but did you seek one here in the forum rather than spend over an hour on the phone with CSRs? 

#308 OFFLINE   aquatic

aquatic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for posting the solution, but did you seek one here in the forum rather than spend over an hour on the phone with CSRs? 

Dunno if this is for me or NC88.    the first guy I talked to had no clue.   Today's call took a total of maybe 15 minutes, with some of that being just BS chat.... he put me on hold while he "activated"  my RvU...   apparently that took a couple of times, but when it took in his system, it was clear on my end.    

He DID say that occasionally they have issues and the Truck roll techs have some things they can jack into the Genie and/or TV and "talk" with the systems to straighten it out.    That's a last ditch thing tho.      My DECA ($0.00) is on the way overnight as well.    Very nice!   

#309 OFFLINE   aquatic

aquatic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

okay.. ,so the Tv is actually a gift for my son to hang on this bedroom...  I have it set up however, as I posted.   I got a NetGear http://tinyurl.com/mb8vd98   wireless bridge and hooked it up in place of the hardwired network connection.    ''

Works great  so far, but I am about 8 walls ,etc from the access point.   I plan to test it more of course.     I have a mount from MonoPrice and
DTV actually sent me a Deca connection, which is my ace in the hold if things don't work right.    

I have NOT put the wireless bridge through the motions, etc....  but from far away it's working and allowing RVU connection.    IT's hard to switch  back and forth as  the Genie will typically ask for an Access PIN ( 4 digits )  

#310 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

Sounds like you are well on your way! Is there a question in there? 

Either way, good luck and happy holidays! 

#311 OFFLINE   aquatic

aquatic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks.. no, no question, just an update to my earlier question.  It would seem that RVUs do work, and can be connected directly to a Ethernet (at leasst on Sammies) and work correctly, OR connected to a Wireless Video Bridge and work as well.   I STILL think (without any research however, so I'm guessing) that it could perhaps have been connected as a client to the DTV bridge I have for the C41W client... but hey...  It got done without a truck roll and minimal work.   

#312 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

I STILL think (without any research however, so I'm guessing) that it could perhaps have been connected as a client to the DTV bridge I have for the C41W client...

Your guess is not correct.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#313 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

okay.. ,so the Tv is actually a gift for my son to hang on this bedroom...  I have it set up however, as I posted.   I got a NetGear http://tinyurl.com/mb8vd98   wireless bridge and hooked it up in place of the hardwired network connection.    ''

Works great  so far, but I am about 8 walls ,etc from the access point.   I plan to test it more of course.     I have a mount from MonoPrice and
DTV actually sent me a Deca connection, which is my ace in the hold if things don't work right.    

I have NOT put the wireless bridge through the motions, etc....  but from far away it's working and allowing RVU connection.    IT's hard to switch  back and forth as  the Genie will typically ask for an Access PIN ( 4 digits )  

I've been using the Netgear N300 adapter for years without too much issue, first with an HR34 now an HR44 and 2012 Samsung UN40ES6100.  It'll work fine if you don't mind fixing it yourself if it breaks.  

FF/RW is sluggish but I've learned to live with it as it's a bedroom TV that's not used a ton anyway.  That might be typical of RVU in general I don't know.

Other issue I see is sometimes the sound drops out briefly a bunch of times in a row maybe 10 seconds apart after FF'ing but I just pause for a few seconds and hit Play again it goes away.

Edited by xzi, 27 December 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#314 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,175 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:03 AM

Can someone save me a little time here and explain something to me?

I have a Samsung PN64D8000FFXZA.

Directv has it listed on my account and it appears they are charging me $6 a month for it.

I don't use it for anything but a tv.

Did I make a $72 a year mistake when I bought this tv?

#315 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,177 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

Can someone save me a little time here and explain something to me?

I have a Samsung PN64D8000FFXZA.

Directv has it listed on my account and it appears they are charging me $6 a month for it.

I don't use it for anything but a tv.

Did I make a $72 a year mistake when I bought this tv?

If you're using it as a TV watching DIRECTV using RVU then that fee is valid. If all you do us watch TV via an antenna/OTA connection then call DIRECTV and tell them to remove that RVU client from your account.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#316 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

Or if it has a STB of the DIRECTV® flavor, you are being charged twice for the same outlet. As RAD says, it looks like an RVU fee. Did you ever set it up as such? 

#317 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

I am watching tv through a Genie on it.

I bought it because it has 4 HDMI inputs.

I cannot receive anything here OTA.

But I am already paying $6 for the Genie.

I do not use the Plasma's tuner is I guess what I am saying here. I does not work in this area.

If you're using it as a TV watching DIRECTV using RVU then that fee is valid. If all you do us watch TV via an antenna/OTA connection then call DIRECTV and tell them to remove that RVU client from your account.

#318 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:42 PM

Is this a 4k TV?  If so, then the charges are correct.  It must be set up as an RVU TV for the 4k and as a regular HDMI.  Unfortunately, you are charged for both methods.

#319 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

Is this a 4k TV?  If so, then the charges are correct.  It must be set up as an RVU TV for the 4k and as a regular HDMI.  Unfortunately, you are charged for both methods.

Is this happening with you? Is this true of any RVU set up? If you use only RVU and have no other Tvs or clients, I can see that, but not with multiple outlets. 

#320 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

It does not need to be 4K in order to be used as an RVU.  Only 2014 Samsung Smart TVs can be used to receive 4K via the RVU connection.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#321 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Is this happening with you? Is this true of any RVU set up? If you use only RVU and have no other Tvs or clients, I can see that, but not with multiple outlets. 

If you are a new sub, you pay for the Genie outlet plus the RVU outlet.  If you have three TVs, 2 being served by receivers and one RVU, you pay 3 outlets fees.  If you are an older sub, one fee gets credited back to your account.  IOW, if an RVU TV gets connected to the Genie and gets added to your account, you pay "double" fees regardless that is concerted to the Genie

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#322 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

If you are a new sub, you pay for the Genie outlet plus the RVU outlet.  If you have three TVs, 2 being served by receivers and one RVU, you pay 3 outlets fees.  If you are an older sub, one fee gets credited back to your account.

IOW, if an RVU TV gets connected to the Genie and gets added to your account, you pay "double" fees regardless that is concerted to the Genie

I'm following up to the last sentence. 

#323 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

If you are a new sub, you pay for the Genie outlet plus the RVU outlet.  If you have three TVs, 2 being served by receivers and one RVU, you pay 3 outlets fees.  If you are an older sub, one fee gets credited back to your account.  IOW, if an RVU TV gets connected to the Genie and gets added to your account, you pay "double" fees regardless that is concerted to the Genie

So I am screwed.

I bought a 64' plasma 3D tv that had the 4 HDMI inputs I wanted and Samsung called it a Smart Tv.

I have no idea what that means.

The box included a remote with a million buttons and Moby Dick size user manual.

I trained my RC65 remote to turn it on and off and change the inputs.

And threw the rest in a drawer to find if I ever sell it.

And now this means I have been paying a receiver fee for the Genie and another receiver fee for the tv because they can "Smart Tv"?

Is it over the HDMI? Or the ethernet?

I can't unhook the HDMI but I just plugged the ethernet in for initial setup and downloads from Samsung.

I don't need that plugged in unless I make a service call I suppose.

Can I unhook it and cancel the tv on my account?

#324 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

If you're not using your TV as an RVU TV then you don't need to pay extra for it.

Call DirecTV had get the problem taken care of.

#325 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

Suggestion -CAll D* and at the prompt Say Cancel Service (NOT Because) you want to  - it will get you to the correct CSR Group -that can explain the charge or Resolve the issue for you in a more timley manner

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...