Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've been using RVU on a 2012 Samsung set, UN40ES6100, and I agree that performance of the UI or DVR functions is MUCH slower then using a mini client box. But as far as PQ or other video/audio issues I'm not seeing what you're seeing when using either Ethernet or DECA network connection. Then there are other bugs like TVApps shrinking to the size of the CIG window or nor being able to use the Screen Fit aspect ratio but having to use 16:9 and get some cropping of the image.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,827 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have a very different experience with RVU on my 2011 Samsung Smart TV. The UI is slow, I'll grant you that but I don't have any of those other issues.

I'm wondering though, it sounds like your HR34 is physically close to your TV. Is there a reason you aren't just connecting the HR34 to the TV via HDMI?

Oh and by the way, there's zero possibility that there's a 10Gig Ethernet chip in your TV. There's no way you need Category 7 cable. Just not possible.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#243 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Just an update to my previous. After using RVU for the past week, I find it absolutely terrible. Picture quality remains horrendous, extreme lag between remote commands and actual execution, frequent freezing where playback no longer continues (have to hit Exit to get out, and you lose any buffered content), and all of the issues I mentioned above. Is anyone using RVU with acceptable performance?

Wait, can you paint a better picture for us? How far is the HR34 from the tv? And is that one deca the only thing that connects the system to your home network as well? Have you tried going directly from the deca to the tv and skipping your router first to just test?

#244 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.  I'm using RVU on a TV that is about 35-40 feet away from the HR34.  I currently have CAT5 running from the deca to my router and then out to the TV (next to the router), but I've tried running it from the DVR to the router and from the DVR to the TV as well.  The one thing I haven't done is tried swapping cables (which I probably should have done).  I'll do that tomorrow and post back.

The deca is the only thing connecting the HR34 to my network.  I had initially set up my TV over wifi, but then learned I had to do RVU over a wired connection so I disabled wifi and hooked up the ethernet.

#245 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

I say for testing, the first thing to do is take the deca and plug the cable directly into the TV and skip the router completely. So the only two things connected argh HR34 and the TV. See if that solves the issue. This will tell us if its the router causing your issue or something else...

#246 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Looks like I'll have to get back around the weekend - now that I've mounted the TV on the wall, I don't have a long enough ethernet cable...  lol.  Have some on order.

#247 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned but have you checked for firmware updates for your TV and made sure to install them?

I bought my parents two Samsung UN32F5500 that they have been using as RVU clients since late August and they haven't mentioned any of the issues you have.  I have used them on a few occasions and haven't noticed any issues either.  They are a little slower than the HR44 or C41s themselves, but they aren't any slower than my HR21 and HR22s that I have at home (other than on the initial power on, it does seem to take a little bit for them to connect to the Genie server).

That said it also sounds like you are running the RVU TV off your home ethernet network.  The last I knew DirecTV said not to do this, that you had to run RVU over the coax network and use a DECA adapter (with power supply) to connect the coax to the ethernet port on the TV.

So for your setup you should have the coax cable coming into the house and going to a splitter.  From that splitter one coax should go to the HR34/HR44.  Another coax should go from the splitter to a DECA adapter with power supply.  From that DECA adapter an ethernet cable should run directly to your Samsung TV.  This should get your RVU system up and running better. 

Once you have verified this works then you can add internet into the mix if you need access to VOD etc.  You would do this by either adding another DECA adapter with power supply and connecting it to your coax splitter, and an ethernet cable to your router/switch, or you could just connect an ethernet cable directly from your HR34/HR44 to the router/switch.

Edited by Beerstalker, 18 December 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#248 OFFLINE   Dalz

Dalz

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sorry for the delay.  I received the cables today (CAT6, shielded, UL certified) and started testing.  (Nevermind that I've been streaming 1080p HD content without issue over CAT5 and through three daisy-chained routers for years... lol)  I tried running the ethernet from the TV directly to the HR34 but it couldn't see the RVU Server or it would tell me the location is not authorized (it gave me both messages over several attempts at getting the TV to connect).  Connecting the TV to the DECA does allow the TV to see the server, however it has closed the RVU session without reason a few times and I have had to power the TV off/on to get it to reconnect.  I'm starting to think there's a problem with the TV hardware.

The picture quality is still terrible compared to my other, 8 year old Samsung that's connected directly to the HR34.  I've gone through all of the picture settings on the new TV (Digital Clean, MPEG Noise Filter, etc.) and tested every option to make sure it wasn't just overcorrecting.  Nothing fixes it.  Also, using the remote (RC71) to control RVU is still extremely buggy.  It frequently will not rewind or fast forward (making the sound you get when you give it an invalid input) even if it shows that it has plenty of buffer, and often won't accept any input while watching pre-recorded shows.  I have to exit out and restart the program before it will accept any input other than Exit.  Doing this also makes it forget where the program left off and you have to start from the beginning and fast forward to wherever you exited.

Needless to say, I'm not happy at all with the experience so far and don't have a lot of time left if I need to return the TV...  Do you think it could be faulty hardware?  I suppose it could be either the TV or the DVR.  I'm at a loss.

#249 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Since I have not noticed anything posted, the RVU alliance site now lists all 2012 and 2013 Samsung SmartTVs as RVU compatible. I was able to activate my 2012 eh5300 that previously was not supported by DirecTV.

#250 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Since I have not noticed anything posted, the RVU alliance site now lists all 2012 and 2013 Samsung SmartTVs as RVU compatible. I was able to activate my 2012 eh5300 that previously was not supported by DirecTV.

How is the HD PQ and sound quality with Samsung RVU? Is it the same as the HR-44 and HR-24?

#251 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

How is the HD PQ and sound quality with Samsung RVU? Is it the same as the HR-44 and HR-24?

As far as PQ/SQ I couldn't see a difference between the RVU client and a mini client attached to a UN40ES6100 for programming. Where I saw a difference was in the PQ of the menus and performance when using DVR controls.

#252 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

As far as PQ/SQ I couldn't see a difference between the RVU client and a mini client attached to a UN40ES6100 for programming. Where I saw a difference was in the PQ of the menus and performance when using DVR controls.

I guess the menus and DVR controls were slower? Would that be DTV's fault or Samsungs? Maybe the Samsung Smart TV's need that Quad Core Processor and more ram that the 2013 and 2014 models have to make the menu's and DVR controls faster. I have the 2012 55" ES 7500 with just the Dual Core Processor. Not sure how much ram it has.

Just curious does the HD DVR on all the time for the DTV RVU HDTV to work?

Edited by CraigerM, 17 April 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#253 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Nope, just connected to AC outlet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#254 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

I guess the menus and DVR controls were slower? Would that be DTV's fault or Samsungs? Maybe the Samsung Smart TV's need that Quad Core Processor and more ram that the 2013 and 2014 models have to make the menu's and DVR controls faster. I have the 2012 55" ES 7500 with just the Dual Core Processor. Not sure how much ram it has.

DVR controls were slower, plus you couldn't stack/queue skips, especially bad for skip back, took 2 to 3 seconds to do each skip back. The GU screens looked like they are rendered at 480i, just not as clear. I blame Samsung for the issues since there have been other client issues that are fixed after a TV firmware update. Maybe newer sets are better but I haven't seen a place where you could check it out in a store.

#255 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I just purchase a samsung un32eh5300 and want to set it up  a client tv but was told by tech support i have to have a wired connection between my tv and router , these are in two different rooms it there any other way. I know about genie mini i will go that route if i have to other chose.

thank you

#256 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

I just purchase a samsung un32eh5300 and want to set it up  a client tv but was told by tech support i have to have a wired connection between my tv and router , these are in two different rooms it there any other way. I know about genie mini i will go that route if i have to other chose.

thank you

Although not supported an YMMV, you can use an ethernet bridge.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#257 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

i's  amazing how Directv CS has no clue about activating/install a TV client or Directv ready TV as they call in now, I spoke to 3 CS reps and all had different answers even Sony and samsung support sites don't match what directv say.if they are going to promote this they need to get a special team who knows whats going on. the answers varied from the coax to TV should work to need a deca to need ethernet cable from TV straight to router. :bang

Edited by tonyc, 07 May 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#258 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

i's  amazing how Directv CS has no clue about activating/install a TV client or Directv ready TV as they call in now, I spoke to 3 CS reps and all had different answers even Sony and samsung support sites don't match what directv say.if they are going to promote this they need to get a special team who knows whats going on. the answers varied from the coax to TV should work to need a deca to need ethernet cable from TV straight to router. :bang

Agree.  DirecTV really needs to get on this, PRONTO

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#259 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Agree.  DirecTV really needs to get on this, PRONTO

Although not supported an YMMV, you can use an ethernet bridge.

Thank you for your help but could you give me a little more info, sorry not sure what YMMV is.

#260 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

YMMV = You Mileage May Vary, meaning your success may be different than that of others.  this comes in context when I mention using an ethernet bridge.  an ethernet bridge is a device that connect via ethernet to your TV but connect wirelessly to your network.  This device will trick your TV is connected through ethernet as such let you use the RVU feature.  but since not all networks are the same, it may or may not work for you.  thus, YMMV.

Tip of the Day.  When you see acronyms being used online, you can start by searching here

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=ymmv

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall