Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

What is currently the smallest screen size Samsung RVU TV?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

What is currently the smallest screen size Samsung RVU TV?

I believe it is a 32".

http://www.samsung.c.../UN32F5500AFXZA

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#283 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Still not suitable for a kitchen or workshop or bathroom suite -- places where you don't want additional counter boxes.

Edited by Drucifer, 21 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#284 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Still not suitable for a kitchen or workshop or bathroom suite -- places where you don't want additional counter boxes.

When you click on More Features and scroll down the page you get this.

DIRECTV® Ready

Samsung Smart TVs are now DIRECTV® Ready. With just one Genie™ HD DVR, you get the full DIRECTV® experience on every TV in your home*. Now you don't need extra cable boxes in each room because DIRECTV® is built right in to your Samsung TV. So you get everything you want to see and nothing you don't. Learn more.*Requires Genie™ HD DVR from DIRECTV®. Connect up to eight DIRECTV® Ready TVs to a single Genie™ HD DVR. Limit three remote viewings per Genie™ HD DVR at a time.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#285 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I recently installed a Samsung F7100 (2013 model) as an RVU client with my HR44 (already had an HR21 and HR24 and wired CCK).  F7100 is connected only with wired ethernet; no coax or DECA.  DTV customer service managed to activate it on the first try, although she had to hunt around to find the proper script, and the billing appears correct ($6 add'l receiver fee only as I already had HD, DVR, WH fees).  A more positive experience than I was expecting.  Called again trying to figure out how to control the DTV DVR functions from the Samsung remote (DTV had no clue), but found out here about RC71 + Samsung 54000 code.  That works fine, but I still need the Samsung remote for SmartTV functions (like Netflix).  Using the Samsung Bluetooth keyboard does provide those functions, but it's a bit bulky; nice for entering text, however.

One thing that I can't get to work is 3D using the RVU client.  The TV the HR44 connects to is not 3D-capable. Selecting one of the 3D channels gets a message that the TV is not 3D capable.  3D works for Netflix.  It's probably not much more than a novelty, but it seems like it should work.  Does 3D work for anyone else on an RVU client?  What about when using a C41?

Another thing is that it takes about 40 seconds to connect to the HR44 when it powers up.  I get "Connecting to RVU server" for about 20 seconds, then "Check network connections", then another "Connecting...", then the picture appears.  Is this what others experience?

After it connects, everything seems to work fine.  No dropouts, pixelation, freezes, etc.  

yes that was my experience took way to long to connect i end up just using a mini client.

#286 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

yes that was my experience took way to long to connect i end up just using a mini client.

I am wondering if this is the typical experience for people using RVU? I am looking at getting a samsung TV for the living room just to have the RVU ability and lessen the clutter, etc. But if it is taking everyone a long time to connect when you turn the set on, that would change my mind considerably.

Thanks

#287 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

My experience has been if just turning the set on it can take about 10 to 15 seconds extra for the RVU client to connect.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#288 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

And just to be clear/contrast the experience, a mini client doesn't have this delay?

#289 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

And just to be clear/contrast the experience, a mini client doesn't have this delay?

nope. The client takes about three seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#290 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

With Hr44 maybe

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#291 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

With Hr44 maybe

Sent from my Galaxy S5

most of the time it takes longer for the tv to come on or they both come on at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#292 OFFLINE   jc719

jc719

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

After a few weeks with my F7100 RVU client, I've noticed a couple more annoyances.  Samsung TV is running 1200 firmware and HR44 is 870. 

1. When I have a DTV menu displayed (like Guide or Playlist) where the program image is in the corner, the backlight for the whole display varies dramatically depending on the small window content.  In particular, if the program is black, the backlight for the whole screen dims dramatically; when there is "normal" program content, the back light is high and the guide contrast is washed out.  I can't find any setting that affects this.  It's as if the backlight brightness is determined from the program content, then later in the signal path the program image is scaled down and the Guide/Playlist content overlaid.  This seems like a F7100 problem.

2.  Sometimes, but not always, the first line of any "list"-type display (Guide, Playlist, Search Results, Settings/Info, etc.) isn't drawn correctly.  The top half (or more) of the top line text/icons (like HD or the "start from the beginning arrow" isn't drawn). 

Anyone else see either of these problems?

#293 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm so behind the times, I just heard about this feature today in the breakroom.  So, if I go buy a Samsung TV and hang it, I can connect to the Genie via the internal WiFi in the TV?  Is it that simple once you get it recognized by the Genie?

#294 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm so behind the times, I just heard about this feature today in the breakroom.  So, if I go buy a Samsung TV and hang it, I can connect to the Genie via the internal WiFi in the TV?  Is it that simple once you get it recognized by the Genie?

No, not that simple. DIRECTV doesn't allow you to use the TV's built in WiFi to connect to a Genie, in fact the TV will issue an error message if you try to. DIRECTV wants you to use a coax run from their network to a DECA-BB adapter and then use that to connect to the TV. If you really want a wireless connection you might want to check into the C41W wireless mini client that uses a wireless video bridge supplied by DIRECTV for a wireless connection. The C41W is small enough that you might be able hide it behind the TV so you don't see it.

• fsquid likes this

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#295 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thank you.  I am hoping to put a TV outside where I don't have a COAX run of any kind, just an outlet.  Sounds like the Genie Mini still is the best bet.

#296 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

you can also connect the RVU TV with ethernet cable cable  instead of the coax.  It seems tho that the Genie must be connected using a DECA BB adapter in order to use the RVU TV, or at least for the initial set up 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#297 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

you can also connect the RVU TV with ethernet cable cable  instead of the coax.  It seems tho that the Genie must be connected using a DECA BB adapter in order to use the RVU TV, or at least for the initial set up 

After successful initial setup, is there any reason why wireless bridge, connected to the Samsung via Ethernet wouldn't work?  I'd really like the ability to have a TV in an upstairs guest room, that doesn't currently have coax or Ethernet running to it.  I'd only want to activate this TV once (maybe twice) a year, when my sister's family comes to visit and I need to use the upstairs bedrooms.

Since owning a wireless mini appears to be virtually impossible, It seems that the only wireless option that can be activated and deactivated at will may be a jerry-rigged RVU setup.

#298 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,498 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

After successful initial setup, is there any reason why wireless bridge, connected to the Samsung via Ethernet wouldn't work?  I'd really like the ability to have a TV in an upstairs guest room, that doesn't currently have coax or Ethernet running to it.  I'd only want to activate this TV once (maybe twice) a year, when my sister's family comes to visit and I need to use the upstairs bedrooms.

Since owning a wireless mini appears to be virtually impossible, It seems that the only wireless option that can be activated and deactivated at will may be a jerry-rigged RVU setup.

As long as your wireless bridge supports the video bandwidth.  Some G units don't.  I've had success with 5GHz N band.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#299 OFFLINE   fluser

fluser

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

I have my BB deca plugged in and have everything ready and when I enter my pin in on my Samaung TV it says that only 2 clients are allowed (my other 2 mini clients) and call to activate.  When I called the CS rep told me that I had to have a mini client, for $50 and a truck call, it would not work without it.  I insisted that it would, and she proceeded to try and impress me with how long she had worked at D*.  I hung up and called back. Now they insist that a truck has to roll to get it installed.  At least they are coming by for free. Can't they just add a client?  Everything works as far as I can tell, except for adding it on their end. 

#300 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

I have my BB deca plugged in and have everything ready and when I enter my pin in on my Samaung TV it says that only 2 clients are allowed (my other 2 mini clients) and call to activate.  When I called the CS rep told me that I had to have a mini client, for $50 and a truck call, it would not work without it.  I insisted that it would, and she proceeded to try and impress me with how long she had worked at D*.  I hung up and called back. Now they insist that a truck has to roll to get it installed.  At least they are coming by for free. Can't they just add a client?  Everything works as far as I can tell, except for adding it on their end. 

Yes, they can just add a client.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...