Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#351 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:15 AM

Is there someone actually using RVU? I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks for any and all answers

I have a 2012 Samsung ES6500 that's connected via RVU.  I needed RVU because it's mounted on a wall in the kitchen, there's nowhere for a receiver and aesthetics was more important than functionality.  Every time I turn on the TV, it takes about 30-60 seconds for the TV to connect to the RVU server, and using menus, etc. is very slow.  DVR functions are almost unusable.  It's serviceable if you're just using it as a TV the way we used to -- just live TV or watching recorded content without fast-forwarding or rewinding.  We basically never use the TV in the kitchen and I'm thinking of just putting a chromecast or roku stick in and slinging from another receiver (I have two sling boxes -- which would save me the additional outlet fee, but I would have to mirror what's on the other receiver).  I'm wondering if RVU works better on newer TVs or ones with more processing power.  I have a 2012 ES 7500 in my bedroom which is the same year but supposedly has a "dual core CPU."  I bought it thinking that i would use RVU on it, but with my experience with the kitchen TV, I never hooked RVU up on the bedroom TV since I actually use the bedroom TV (and the performance limitations would really bug me) and I have it on a dresser, so there's plenty of space for a receiver or genie client (I use the genie client).  If there's info that RVU is much better on the ES7500 than it is on the ES6500 I would switch to free up an HDMI input on my TV and to reduce clutter.  But the performance on the ES6500 has been underwhelming to say the least.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#352 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

Wouldn't an H25 or a Genie client (mini) placed behind the screen and using RF, don't you get the best of both worlds? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#353 OFFLINE   daniloni

daniloni

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Wouldn't an H25 or a Genie client (mini) placed behind the screen and using RF, don't you get the best of both worlds?

We wanted the TV totally flush against the wall. As I said, it is hardly ever used (and when it is, more for smart tv than for live/recorded TV), so the aesthetic by far was the primary concern. Even the inch added by the mini receiver would make it not worth it for the amount of use it gets.

#354 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

In my limited experience yes, the faster the processor in the TV the faster/better the RVU perfromancey appears to be.  I don't think they are quite as good as the C31/C41 yet though.  My only experience is with the older 2012 & 2013 Samsung sets though.  Not sure if the Sony/Toshiba/LG TVs are any better than Samsungs, or how the 2014 and 2015 sets perform.

My parents have two Samsung UN32F5500 TVs in their master and guest bedroom and they work just fine in those locations since they aren't used as often, and trick play isn't as big of a deal.  For TVs used more often then you probably want to stick with the Genie or mini client.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#355 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for all of the replys. Since my TV has the quad core CPU, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but with the not so positive reviews so far, I will wait till I have some time to really play with it.

My initial idea was to 1) reduce clutter and 2) re purpose the coax line that is by the TV for something else. I might have to figure something else out now.

The Genie mini wouldn't be so bad if it didn't need to have a power source.

#356 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,244 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

My initial idea was to 1) reduce clutter and 2) re purpose the coax line that is by the TV for something else.

The most unobtrusive setup that wouldn't involve the coax would be an RVU Ready TV connected with CAT5.

To repurpose the coax DIRECTV style with a non-RVU TV, you would need a C41W with its mini-brick in conjunction with a DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge (and a mini-brick) elsewhere in the home.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...