Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,302 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Where would I find the latest list of working or certified Samsung RVU TVs? I need to make a recommendation to my brother before they get DirecTV installed.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Right now only the 2011 "D" series Smart TVs are certified. All the 2012 "ES" series Smart TVs are expected to be certified but they aren't yet.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

All the 2012 "ES" series Smart TVs are expected to be certified but they aren't yet.

I thought it was supposed to be all 2012 SmartTVs, not just the "ES" series, at least according to Samsung's original press release. Have they now decided they aren't going to support RVU on their plasmas or on the EH5300 series SmartTVs?
  • Richard L Bray likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#24 OFFLINE   Rocky

Rocky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Can the samsung RVU tv work in whole home setup without the HR34

#25 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

The Samsung RVU TV can work like any other TV with DirecTV if you hook a receiver directly up to it's inputs (for example hook an HR23 up over HDMI to the HDMI 1 input).

However, if you are asking can it watch recordings from any of the HD-DVRs like an HR23 in another room without hooking some other DirecTV receiver up to it directly the answer is no. RVU clients can only watch content from an RVU server using RVU, and the only RVU server at this time is the HR34.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#26 ONLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I want to make sure I understanding this right.
If I had a 34 and a 24 and a 31 the 24 can see the recordings on the 34.
the 34 can see the recording on the 24.
the 31 can only see the 34 now but a software update that is coming will make it see the 24 and 34.
Thanks

#27 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

the 31 can only see the 34 now but a software update that is coming will make it see the 24 and 34.
Thanks

That is correct.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#28 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thanks

That is correct.

Will a similar software update make the Samsung TV RVUs able to see both the 34 & 24 also?

#29 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Will a similar software update make the Samsung TV RVUs able to see both the 34 & 24 also?

I don't know as I have no experience with the Samsung TVs. Perhaps someone who owns one could answer your question.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#30 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Your question is kinda of loaded LOL Can the TV be used with out HR34 Yes its like any other Flat Screen. It just has the RVU tuner in it for Home Network TV which only Directv has but other companies have signed up to do the same so down the road who ever else uses the RVU technology u will be able to do so with that TV.

http://www.rvuallian...rg/the_alliance

Think of the HR34 has a home Modem/Router and the RVU is a computer wanting to log on. Once the MAC address is asigned Directv will activate the HR34 to send to it, of coarse for a monthly fee just like paying for the internet every month.

#31 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Not sure the fact that RVUs/C31s can't access playlists on a DVR other than the HR34 is as big an issue as some may think? Given the HR34 has five tuners, one would have to be recording an incredible amount of content, with huge numbers of conflicts, for it ever to become an issue. I have this setup exactly, with 3 RVUs. You simply have to be disciplined in doing all recorded TV on the HR34, then it's available to all TVs, incl RVUs, at all times.

#32 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Not sure the fact that RVUs/C31s can't access playlists on a DVR other than the HR34 is as big an issue as some may think?

We've been told the RVU clients will be able to view content recorded on other HR2X's that are on the WHDVR network with the HR34.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#33 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

So what's the story with RVU capability for Samsung "ES" series Smart TVs? They keep saying "soon" but they have been saying that for months, and now the 8000 ES models aren't even the latest. They now have the 9000 series out, also "promising" RVU capability but not yet delivering. This is an embarrassment for Samsung, the RVU Alliance, and DirecTV. Anyone know where the problem lies, Samsung, the RVU Alliance, or both?
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#34 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

I don't know where the problem lies, but I have asked the same questions, at a high level, and I am told over and over again that the certification is coming.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the issue is making sure the 2012 TVs perform at a level comparable to the Genie Client.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#35 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I just installed a new Samsung UN65ES8000. It was awesome to see RVU working from the start and not needing to order a new DirecTV receiver. It works great when paired to the HR34 but requires a hard-wired ethernet connection to the network. This seems strange given that the ethernet port is only 10/100. The TV has built in 802.11n wireless and it can beat those speeds.

Note on activation: be patient with DirecTV staff. The CSR I talked to had never activated a RVU before. Go to network status and have the MAC address handy when you call.

As was stated in other posts, RVU clients are limited to the HR34 recordings even though whole-home recordings are visible from the TV connected to the HR34 directly. I have a C31 in another room and it works identically to the Samsung RVU client. However, Samsung RVU DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D! A bit of a bummer. The C31 does support 3D.

The Samsung remote is not a full featured DirecTV remote so I am looking for other options. For this reason and the lack of 3D I may abandon the Samsung RVU client in favor of another C31, or just go back to a HR24 or another HR34. Plus not being able to run video through my audio receiver is annoying due to the loss of on-screen menus/volume display from my Denon.

Another annoyance is the fact that when using the RVU client built into the Samsung you access it by way of TV input. I have always liked using the TV basically as a display and never touching the volume or inputs. Now you're forced to interact with the TV. Wives will not like that. This (almost) makes me want to use the TV as the source hub. But who does that?

Edited by cubuff, 17 October 2012 - 04:16 PM.
Use Return Audio Channel on HDMI cable instead of separate TOSLINK.

#36 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

cubuff,

What software version is your es8000 running? Samsung released updates for all of the 2012 smart tvs on Monday the 15th, but the release notes do not mention RVU. (In particular, Samsung released v. 1022.2 for the EH5300 and the ES 6100-7100 and v. 1040.8 for the ES7500-8000). Your post is the only suggestion that RVU has been enabled for any 2012 smart tv.

Regarding your lack of volume display, if you turn on HDMI-Control (Anynet on the samsung) on the TV and your Denon, you should be able to control volume of the Denon receiver via the TV remote and have the TVs on-screen display for volume (at least it works that way on my Sony TV + Denon main setup with HDMI control on).

Edited by johnr9e, 17 October 2012 - 06:15 PM.
clarification

#37 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Interesting, the release notes for the latest firmware update for the ES8000 models says nothing about RVU....but it has been added! How is it possible that a major function like RVU gets added with a firmware update and that fact is not included in the release notes??? Oh well, at least it is there. Will test later this week or over the weekend.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#38 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Quick question for anyone using RVU on a Samsung TV. Does everything come over the Ethernet connection or do I need a coax sat feed going to the TV?
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#39 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

The Samsung remote is not a full featured DirecTV remote so I am looking for other options.

Can you use a DirecTV remote with the RVU TVs? I am actually a big fan of the RC64R remotes (and their variants, plus my wife hates change)
So do you have to use the Samsung remote or can you use the "old fashioned" remotes?

Thanks
Juanus

#40 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

cubuff,

What software version is your es8000 running? Samsung released updates for all of the 2012 smart tvs on Monday the 15th, but the release notes do not mention RVU. (In particular, Samsung released v. 1022.2 for the EH5300 and the ES 6100-7100 and v. 1040.8 for the ES7500-8000). Your post is the only suggestion that RVU has been enabled for any 2012 smart tv.

Regarding your lack of volume display, if you turn on HDMI-Control (Anynet on the samsung) on the TV and your Denon, you should be able to control volume of the Denon receiver via the TV remote and have the TVs on-screen display for volume (at least it works that way on my Sony TV + Denon main setup with HDMI control on).

I'll have to verify the software version. The TV was delivered on Tuesday (October 16th) and as soon as it powered up it started downloading updated firmware. Maybe I can get some screen shots up for you tonight.

Thanks for the HDMI-C suggestion. The return audio channel and receiver control work as you stated with Samsung Anynet + Denon 3313CI. This RVU thing is definitely more workable with that setup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...