Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Quick question for anyone using RVU on a Samsung TV. Does everything come over the Ethernet connection or do I need a coax sat feed going to the TV?

For the Samsung TV with RVU, all you need is a hard-wired Ethernet connection and a DirecTV HR34 on the same network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Can you use a DirecTV remote with the RVU TVs? I am actually a big fan of the RC64R remotes (and their variants, plus my wife hates change)
So do you have to use the Samsung remote or can you use the "old fashioned" remotes?

Thanks
Juanus

The Samsung doesn't see any of my directv remotes so right now I am stuck with the TV remote. Hopefully there are IR codes available for more functionality or from one of the universal remotes like the Harmony. This Samsung remote is for the birds. Why would you dedicate a button to something called "Family Story"? Ugh...

I did read somewhere that there is a remote from directv called the RC70 that will work. Haven't been able to get my hands on one, yet...

#43 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

In case anyone cares, DirecTV charges $6.00/mo for the RVU functionality built into the Samsung or for the C31. I don't know how I feel about that since the HR34 is doing all the heavy lifting. It seems like paying $8.00/mo for the HR34 + $3.00 for Whole-Home DVR should be enough. Oh well, fees, fees, fees.

Here is how DirecTV sees the Samsung TV and the C31 from their website:

Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

No joy on my EH53000. My HR34 did not pop up on the source menu of my EH5300 with the latest firmware.

Since there was no release note or announcement for the es8000 firmware,I wonder if someone at Samsung forgot to comment out #define RVU when they built that firmware release.

#45 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

...Samsung RVU DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D! ...

Well that makes the RVU a non-starter for me. Why in the world would it not support 3D? That is just crazy. Guess I'll just wait on trying the RVU until it is actually useful. In order to be useful, for me at least, it needs to be able to see and playback all recordings on all my newtworked DVR's not just the HR34, and needs to support 3D playback.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Well that makes the RVU a non-starter for me. Why in the world would it not support 3D? That is just crazy. Guess I'll just wait on trying the RVU until it is actually useful. In order to be useful, for me at least, it needs to be able to see and playback all recordings on all my newtworked DVR's not just the HR34, and needs to support 3D playback.

Just to be clear, the DIRECTV C31 RVU clients DO support 3D, looks like Samsung's RVU client in their TV's don't.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just to be clear, the DIRECTV C31 RVU clients DO support 3D, looks like Samsung's RVU client in their TV's don't.

Thanks for clarifying that. :up:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Pictures of RVU operating on a Samsung UN65ES8000F:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Question for those using the Samsung 8000 series RVU client (not the C31). Since you need to use the TV remote, how do you bring up the guide? I don't see a guide button on the TV remote.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#50 OFFLINE   bmmarly

bmmarly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

On the assumption that it's the same as the 2011 D series RVUs, guide is on the "CH LIST" button.

#51 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Awesome news about the 8000 series! Any chance they're ever going to include RVU in a Smart Samsung Blu Ray player? I also stumbled upon a website that talked about a new "XBox 720" and "PS4" including RVU, anyone hear details about that?
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#52 OFFLINE   chellyaz

chellyaz

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Just upload the latest drivers for my newer 2012 plasma, and RVU option was in the source list. Are the E7000 series now RVU capable?

#53 OFFLINE   BoyBye

BoyBye

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

You can always access a current list of RVU certified devices on the RVU Alliance web-site, under products.

#54 OFFLINE   chellyaz

chellyaz

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Much to my surprise, My Samsung PN51E7000 RVU client works very well. Using the stock Samsung remote. The Samsung RVU seems to be as responsive as the C-31 that I also have on this same network, for comparison. The C-31 talks to the HR34 via Coax, and the Samsung RVU talks via hard wired ethernet, to the HR34 connected using broadband DECA (not sure this is required). Both DECA and TV are connected to the same Netgear 1G switch.

With the E7000 having dual cores, I was wondering if it would support a decent RVU client in software. While I've only been using it for an hour or so, it seems more than usable.

PQ is very good on HD channels. Watching Matrix Revolutions now, and its really really good. Scene where all the bots are about to break into the "chamber" and I'm getting no jitter/judder/frame studded. No loss, resolution is HD, no problems. Excellent.

Bringing up the Guide, the banners are almost instantaneous, and the channel information is about 0.5 seconds later. Screen up and down is very fast.

Changing channels is slow, with the banners coming up quickly, but the first frame takes about 3-6 seconds to appear, and then it appears to take another second for the stream to finish buffering, and the stream to actually begin.

I haven't run into any problems, in the first 1.5 hours. I will provide another report after using it for a while. Biggest test will be NFL Sunday ticket, and ease of use there.

#55 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Good news, and nice report.

:welcome_s to the forum, as well.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#56 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Any thoughts on why someone like Samsung's not including RVU in some of their "Smart" Blu-ray players, when they seem to be invested in doing so with their HDTVs? Maybe a monetary thing with DirecTV?
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Any thoughts on why someone like Samsung's not including RVU in some of their "Smart" Blu-ray players, when they seem to be invested in doing so with their HDTVs? Maybe a monetary thing with DirecTV?

I think its all software driven right now and that they are probably mostly capable for all their new devices. But with only one server, and it still changing some, and considering they don't even have it quite right on their tvs yet, I expect they wouldn't see the point in messing with those other units till they get it right on their tvs. Heck, it may be the exact same software, and they just want it working right on a couple tvs first, before they start deploying it to more products. We can hope anyway.

#58 OFFLINE   cubuff

cubuff

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

FYI - My C31 now lists DVR items from all DVRs (HR24 + HR34) using whole-home. The Samsung RVU client also shows all DVRs..

Edited by cubuff, 01 November 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

FYI - My C31 now lists DVR items from all DVRs (HR24 + HR34) using whole-home. The Samsung RVU client also shows all DVRs..

Did that happen with the newest software?

#60 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Did that happen with the newest software?

Yes, the latest software added that function.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall