Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Quick question for those who have ordered a C31 from someone other than DirecTV (like Solid Signal). Is there a special number to call at DirecTV to activate the C31? Trying to avoid a "what's a C31" conversation with the CSR's.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#62 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Samsung released v. 1023 yesterday, which adds RVU support for the EH5300 and remaining 2012 ES models. I haven't tried to activate it yet.

Has anyone found a way to get replay/slip keys on the Samsung RVU tv's (harmony DB, JP1, RC65X code set, hex codes) other than the fabled RC70?

#63 OFFLINE   lzhj9k

lzhj9k

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Quick question for those who have ordered a C31 from someone other than DirecTV (like Solid Signal). Is there a special number to call at DirecTV to activate the C31? Trying to avoid a "what's a C31" conversation with the CSR's.

I activated 3 C31 clients about two weeks ago

I started with the front line CSR's and was transfered to the HR-34 Group every time and they were able to activate them.

You will need to provide the Serial Number and the MAC Address which are on the end of the box or the bottom of the C31 Client. What throws them off is if you purchase thru a retailer, the order is not in their system and they have to manually enter the data.

This was a few weeks ago, so things may have changed from what they were back then.

Mike

HR-34  HR-23  H25  2-C31 Clients and 1 C41 Client

#64 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Oh, well, so much for RVU. The TV is hardwired to the same gigabit hub as the CCK and communicates fine with the HR34, but the CSR wouldn't activate without an installer coming out for $50. Since I was forced to pay for an installer to come out two months ago to screw the coax onto my HR34 in place of the prior HR20 (existing MRV setup), I wasn't enthused with taking a day off work to pay someone $50 to call-in my MAC address (for the privilege of paying $6 more a month as the TV currently is connected to my H24 from a low use location where I frankly don't really need a box). I considered doing it anyway if the RC70 was guaranteed to be included in the install, but the CSR could not find any information on an RVU remote.

I'll wait for the reviews on the EH/ES series version of RVU and/or a customer install option.

Edited by johnr9e, 02 November 2012 - 07:18 PM.
typo

#65 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

So far, I like the C31, but don't yet have the Samsung RVU to compare it to.

We have experienced a few white screens as things seem to lag a bit after either turning the C31 on initially, or occassiona slowness when changing channels. But overall pretty nice so far.

As a phyiscal device, its nice and small which is great, and at the moment is just resting on top of the wall mount that my TV hangs from. With RF on the remote, it works like a charm. The only negative I can see to it physically is that the power adapter is half the size of the C31 itself. Seems like they could have made the C31 a smidge bigger and put the brick/transformer inside and just had a plain cord. Oh well.

One other interesting thought I had based on the install. Had thought if I get more C31s I'd just order them online (SolidSignal, etc). However, getting them directly through D* may be preferred if they just charge for the C31 and don't charge for the install/tech visit part. This seems to ensure you also get an RF remote to use with the C31. At least that's what happened in my case.

#66 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

FYI - My C31 now lists DVR items from all DVRs (HR24 + HR34) using whole-home. The Samsung RVU client also shows all DVRs..

Just installed a C31 today that I purchased from Solid Signal. It seems to work but the playlist is only showing things on my HR34. Is there something I need to do to get the SW updated so it sees the items from my other DVR?
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#67 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

I had to reboot my HR24 to get it to show in the c31 playlist through the HR34.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#68 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I have rebooted all my rcvrs and I still only see items from my HR34 on my C31. On my HR34 I see the combined playlist but on the C31 only items from my HR34.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#69 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

mjwagner, have you gotten the update to version 0x0628 on your HR21 yet? Press and hold {INFO} to see a screen with the version number. If you haven't gotten that, there's your problem.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#70 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

mjwagner, have you gotten the update to version 0x0628 on your HR21 yet? Press and hold {INFO} to see a screen with the version number. If you haven't gotten that, there's your problem.

My HR21 still has 05D2 and it looks like that is what is still in the stream. Guess I'll just have to wait. Thanks!
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#71 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Just a quick follow-up. My HR21 rcvd the 0x0628 update last night and I am glad to report that my C31 now shows all recordings from both my HR34 and HR21 in its play list. So far I am very happy with the C31 and will probably replace my H21-100 with one soon just to gain the ability to pause live TV.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#72 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Just got a C31 connected it polled new software just a few minutes after activation.

Confirm Bug?

Go to remote/advanced/ Volume Lock/ Select.

I can select the TV, but not the AV Reciever. (Panasonic SAXR55 if anyone cares)

The second time I go to volume lock it trips the video display off, Its not rebooting the box.

Only way to restore video is to power off box and then back on, OR, power off tv and power back on. Panasonic 1080p vierra plasma tv over HDMI.

Any thoughts? I can repeat this behavior the second attemp to Volume Lock setting just about every time?

If any info pointing to this I wasnt successful in search.

Overall very happy with the box. Would like to volume lock to the AVR though instead of tv volume.

I havent been following this stuff enough to know if this was a known issue.

Also: Can I not control this box over WIFI. from iuphone / ipad / droid?

In info its not showing a valid IP address , only local link. 169.xx

Perhaps this is not an feature option of the C31,

FOr what its worth I do not use the gateway to the HR34, just have ethernet plugged into the box. Have 5 other DVRS on the network. I went to network settings and it says you cannot access from this location (C-31)

Thanks for any help.

#73 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Do you have to get the dtv installer to connect this to a system or can i do it myself?
Thanks

#74 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just got a C31 connected it polled new software just a few minutes after activation.

Confirm Bug?

Go to remote/advanced/ Volume Lock/ Select.

I can select the TV, but not the AV Reciever. (Panasonic SAXR55 if anyone cares)

The second time I go to volume lock it trips the video display off, Its not rebooting the box.

Only way to restore video is to power off box and then back on, OR, power off tv and power back on. Panasonic 1080p vierra plasma tv over HDMI.

Any thoughts? I can repeat this behavior the second attemp to Volume Lock setting just about every time?

If any info pointing to this I wasnt successful in search.

Overall very happy with the box. Would like to volume lock to the AVR though instead of tv volume.

I havent been following this stuff enough to know if this was a known issue.

Also: Can I not control this box over WIFI. from iuphone / ipad / droid?

In info its not showing a valid IP address , only local link. 169.xx

Perhaps this is not an feature option of the C31,

FOr what its worth I do not use the gateway to the HR34, just have ethernet plugged into the box. Have 5 other DVRS on the network. I went to network settings and it says you cannot access from this location (C-31)

Thanks for any help.

Follow the link for tips and tricks in my sig to the sheet on how to program remotes. It should help you get your volume locked to the avr.

I have been told that the c31 will be able to be controlled by the iPad app at some point, but its not available yet. The c31and HR34 all have two ip addresses. One is a regular IP address, the other is a link local ip addresses they use between just the two evidently. You can usually see them both in the more info screen.

Are you saying you use Ethernet for your networking of all the DVRs you have except the c31, or do you have everything using deca and just that you bridge the Internet to the deca cloud via the Ethernet port on the HR34 only?

Can you take a picture of what it says you can not access. It's unclear what your talking about there.

#75 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Do you have to get the dtv installer to connect this to a system or can i do it myself?
Thanks

It connects just like any other receiver, only it doesn't count as a tuner on a swim, so really its even easier because there is no math needed to figure out if it will fit. :)

Then its just a matter of getting it activated.

#76 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Can i connect it to my cable in the room that is connected to the swm or to my internet network cable?

#77 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Can i connect it to my cable in the room that is connected to the swm or to my internet network cable?

No. It only connects via coax. Not an Ethernet cable.

#78 OFFLINE   wease

wease

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

So if i connect the cable to the coax line from my swm switch it will work.
Thanks

#79 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Follow the link for tips and tricks in my sig to the sheet on how to program remotes. It should help you get your volume locked to the avr.

I have been told that the c31 will be able to be controlled by the iPad app at some point, but its not available yet. The c31and HR34 all have two ip addresses. One is a regular IP address, the other is a link local ip addresses they use between just the two evidently. You can usually see them both in the more info screen.

Are you saying you use Ethernet for your networking of all the DVRs you have except the c31, or do you have everything using deca and just that you bridge the Internet to the deca cloud via the Ethernet port on the HR34 only?

Can you take a picture of what it says you can not access. It's unclear what your talking about there.

The C31 should not lock up when attempting to use the programming instructions for volume lock. Definately shouldnt reset the video output which is what it is doing, Its not rebooting the box. Very odd. I did in fact get it programmed manually using internet guides to manually programming the remote.

Without getting very technical, this is how my set up is:
Ethernet to HR34 from regular gigabit switch.
HR24 - straight coaxial since you dont need the deca
HR21 - deca
HR21 - deca
HR20 - deca
C31 - straight coaxial of course, since there is not ethernet jack

Thats all, and of course cannot poll the C31 for wifi control from apps, pc, etc. I undertand this isnt available at this time. Thanks for the clarification.

I ended up locking up the C31, where it didnt respond in RF or IR, just did a reset on box, and programmed remotes manually.

Programmed a primary and backup for

RF
panasonic tv
panasonic avr
volume lock to avr
programmed input button as well.

I didnt bother trying to program using two way from the c31 to the R65RX, something apparently is locking up the box on volume lock option, like i said the symtoms are as follows:

Visit program remote / advance/volume lock
1st time CANNOT SELECT AVR, Only TV
2nd time screen goes black ( about 2 seconds after selecting volume lock once again) power is still on the box.
One way to fix is to either a. reboot box, or turn off tv and then turn back on.
I do not route C31 through hdmi avr. it goes straight to TV.

Anyways its able to be reproduced. Not sure what else to think of it.

#80 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

The C31 should not lock up when attempting to use the programming instructions for volume lock. Definately shouldnt reset the video output which is what it is doing, Its not rebooting the box. Very odd. I did in fact get it programmed manually using internet guides to manually programming the remote.

Without getting very technical, this is how my set up is:
Ethernet to HR34 from regular gigabit switch.
HR24 - straight coaxial since you dont need the deca
HR21 - deca
HR21 - deca
HR20 - deca
C31 - straight coaxial of course, since there is not ethernet jack

Thats all, and of course cannot poll the C31 for wifi control from apps, pc, etc. I undertand this isnt available at this time. Thanks for the clarification.

I ended up locking up the C31, where it didnt respond in RF or IR, just did a reset on box, and programmed remotes manually.

Programmed a primary and backup for

RF
panasonic tv
panasonic avr
volume lock to avr
programmed input button as well.

I didnt bother trying to program using two way from the c31 to the R65RX, something apparently is locking up the box on volume lock option, like i said the symtoms are as follows:

Visit program remote / advance/volume lock
1st time CANNOT SELECT AVR, Only TV
2nd time screen goes black ( about 2 seconds after selecting volume lock once again) power is still on the box.
One way to fix is to either a. reboot box, or turn off tv and then turn back on.
I do not route C31 through hdmi avr. it goes straight to TV.

Anyways its able to be reproduced. Not sure what else to think of it.

Quite simply, I think you found a bug... ;)

spam firewall