Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

its a panasonic SAXR55 AVR, and panasonic TC-P42U2 if anyone wants to try and duplicate the issue. Its strange would not let you volume lock to AVR, only tv.

Quite simply a firmware bug? wont be the first or last im sure, but thanks for the re-assurance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   swspjcd

swspjcd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I have one room that I would like to put a tv in. There is only ethernet (cat5e throughout the house) to this room. All of my devices (ethernet and networked coaxed), can correctly talk to each other. Are there any options for putting a tv in this room so it can talk to my HR34? I'm a little confused about whether I have to have coax in this room or not, especially if everything is accessible through the ethernet network.
Thanks for your help.

#83 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yes there is. You should be able to use a DECA/cck with a power inserter to inject and convert your ethernet signal to coax (MoCA) for use by the c31.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#84 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

In case anyone cares, DirecTV charges $6.00/mo for the RVU functionality built into the Samsung or for the C31. I don't know how I feel about that since the HR34 is doing all the heavy lifting. It seems like paying $8.00/mo for the HR34 + $3.00 for Whole-Home DVR should be enough. Oh well, fees, fees, fees.

The fees have nothing to do with the cost of the device you're leasing or where the "heavy lifting" is happening. It has to do with you having another outlet capable of watching a different, independently selected channel. Technically cable has these fees too but they're practically unenforceable. It's a programming fee, not hardware fee.

I just installed a new Samsung UN65ES8000. It was awesome to see RVU working from the start and not needing to order a new DirecTV receiver. It works great when paired to the HR34 but requires a hard-wired ethernet connection to the network. This seems strange given that the ethernet port is only 10/100. The TV has built in 802.11n wireless and it can beat those speeds.

Note on activation: be patient with DirecTV staff. The CSR I talked to had never activated a RVU before. Go to network status and have the MAC address handy when you call.

As was stated in other posts, RVU clients are limited to the HR34 recordings even though whole-home recordings are visible from the TV connected to the HR34 directly. I have a C31 in another room and it works identically to the Samsung RVU client. However, Samsung RVU DOES NOT SUPPORT 3D! A bit of a bummer. The C31 does support 3D.

The Samsung remote is not a full featured DirecTV remote so I am looking for other options. For this reason and the lack of 3D I may abandon the Samsung RVU client in favor of another C31, or just go back to a HR24 or another HR34. Plus not being able to run video through my audio receiver is annoying due to the loss of on-screen menus/volume display from my Denon.

Another annoyance is the fact that when using the RVU client built into the Samsung you access it by way of TV input. I have always liked using the TV basically as a display and never touching the volume or inputs. Now you're forced to interact with the TV. Wives will not like that. This (almost) makes me want to use the TV as the source hub. But who does that?

I would guess that requiring ethernet over wifi is due to the fact that ethernet is much more reliable, even if it's "slower". Wifi is susceptible to packet loss, etc. due to interference. If you were trying to troubleshoot that over the phone for a customer who is not technically savvy, you'd probably want to shoot yourself. Plus, no configuration needed with ethernet and if there's no ethernet jack, just send the customer a DECA for the TV.

AS far as the no 3D support and it not being as elegant as having a C31, I think the ultimate goal here is probably to get this technology into smaller TVs, and eventually into all TVs. This is meant for TVs in the bedroom, kids' rooms, etc. Not necessarily for your living room TV. Plus, it's new. I'm sure over time support for various things will improve.

#85 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

there was always great speculation as to whether or not direct would charge a fee for their rvu clients, since before the "lease" fee it an access card fee and it was my hope that one day when directv had a multiroom distribution system such as the C31 clinets and Samsung tvs, that they would say ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

There are many fees that are unnecessary. Since I am giving up a tuner to the C31, and people with 3 boxes are giving up 3 tuners for C31s, It kinda takes away from the flare of the Genie box. Coupled with $18 in box fees I could see how this would be undesirable.

I have 1 C31, and not sure if I will add a second or not at some point. I like the technology but I would prefer to be shaving those $6 fees off my account as you ARE giving up something with a C31 vs. H series box.

Just food for thought. People says the $6 fees are directv gravy, Of course they are. But at some point directv should think about how to put some of the excess back in the gravy boat.

A $3 fee would be appropriate if they consider anything. Lets be honest, The genie system isn't perfect and they are still working out bugs and such. So perhaps it should be called the Guinea system instead until such stability is reached.

#86 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would guess that requiring ethernet over wifi is due to the fact that ethernet is much more reliable, even if it's "slower". Wifi is susceptible to packet loss, etc. due to interference.

Wi-fi is also prone to contention by all devices for a single unidirectional path (as is MoCA/DECA). Switched Ethernet typically avoids these issues with predictable bidirectional performance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#87 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

cbuff said:
It works great when paired to the HR34 but requires a hard-wired ethernet connection to the network. This seems strange given that the ethernet port is only 10/100. The TV has built in 802.11n wireless and it can beat those speeds.

. You're comparing apples to oranges here. 801.11n/g/ac/b are RF wireless standards for Internet and 10/100/1000 (ethernet/fast ethernet/gigabit ethernet) are data speeds. Only the new 802.11ac wireless standard is capable of gigabit speeds (the 1000 in 10/100/1000) over wireless. Wired Ethernet is always better AND faster!

Edited by harperhometheater, 07 December 2012 - 12:32 AM.

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#88 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

there was always great speculation as to whether or not direct would charge a fee for their rvu clients, since before the "lease" fee it an access card fee and it was my hope that one day when directv had a multiroom distribution system such as the C31 clinets and Samsung tvs, that they would say ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

There are many fees that are unnecessary. Since I am giving up a tuner to the C31, and people with 3 boxes are giving up 3 tuners for C31s, It kinda takes away from the flare of the Genie box. Coupled with $18 in box fees I could see how this would be undesirable.

I have 1 C31, and not sure if I will add a second or not at some point. I like the technology but I would prefer to be shaving those $6 fees off my account as you ARE giving up something with a C31 vs. H series box.

Just food for thought. People says the $6 fees are directv gravy, Of course they are. But at some point directv should think about how to put some of the excess back in the gravy boat.

A $3 fee would be appropriate if they consider anything. Lets be honest, The genie system isn't perfect and they are still working out bugs and such. So perhaps it should be called the Guinea system instead until such stability is reached.

A business will always charge the maximum that they can get in the open market. DirecTV will never willingly lower prices or fees, that discussion just never happens. Maybe if they see sales drop off, but that's not happening. And, another point, if they cut the fees, I would expect the quality to drop. The improvement and development of new systems has to be funded.

#89 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Any way to get the video synced up between the HR34 and the C31? I am currently using my HR34 to drive my projector in my "Man Cave" and have the C31 driving the display behind my bar in the same room. When they are both on the same channel the video on the C31 is about 2-3 seconds behind the HR34. Since I am using the sound from the HR34 for the entire room the video being out of sync on the bar TV is very annoying.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#90 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Any way to get the video synced up between the HR34 and the C31? I am currently using my HR34 to drive my projector in my "Man Cave" and have the C31 driving the display behind my bar in the same room. When they are both on the same channel the video on the C31 is about 2-3 seconds behind the HR34. Since I am using the sound from the HR34 for the entire room the video being out of sync on the bar TV is very annoying.

The only thing you can do is hit pause and play just right to get the HR34 to be a little behind live like the c31. Clients are always viewing a buffered stream, where as the HR34 has a true live feed so its always slightly further ahead unless you pause it just right.

#91 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

The only thing you can do is hit pause and play just right to get the HR34 to be a little behind live like the c31. Clients are always viewing a buffered stream, where as the HR34 has a true live feed so its always slightly further ahead unless you pause it just right.

I was guessing that was the problem. This might force me to go with an H25 for the bar. Having the same program on the projection screen and behind the bar is the normal mode of operation for sporting events so this is a real issue for me. Too bad, the size and built-in RF capability made the C31 "almost" the perfect solution for this application but the video sync issue makes it not workable.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#92 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I am getting an H34 and C31 installed tomorrow. I would like to place the RVU client in a location that is inaccessible by reliable coax, but is on my home network with 100 Mbit wired and 802.11n connectivity. Is it possible to connect the C31 on my existing home network?

#93 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yes but you'll need a cck to pull the Ethernet signal off your network and turn it into a DECA (MoCA) coax signal for the C31.
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#94 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yes but you'll need a cck to pull the Ethernet signal off your network and turn it into a DECA (MoCA) coax signal for the C31.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is the DirecTV installer guy likely to have one of those?

#95 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

DIRECTV will not install what was just suggested. It's not an approved or supported method. You will need to do that on your own.

#96 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am getting an H34 and C31 installed tomorrow. I would like to place the RVU client in a location that is inaccessible by reliable coax, but is on my home network with 100 Mbit wired and 802.11n connectivity. Is it possible to connect the C31 on my existing home network?

I'm going to guess that the DIRECTV installer won't be doing what you want, they're trained to use only the coax network to connect C31's not ethernet or wireless.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#97 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

B the way, what do you mean in excessive by reliable coax? Is there coax there now?

#98 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Tell the installer that you need a wireless cck for your setup and then tell him that the C31 goes in a room that you do have coax installed so that he can give you an approved setup, then when he leaves plug your Ethernet from router directly into your HR34 and take the w-cck and c31 into the room where you really want the c31 and connect it there, then you're all set! :)
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#99 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

B the way, what do you mean in excessive by reliable coax? Is there coax there now?

There's coax there, but the path to where the H34 will be located is something like 100 meters with at least two connections—enough of a signal loss so that Time Warner cable wouldn't work reliably between the two rooms.

#100 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

He should have them, but I don't know that it would be a DirecTV approved setup, so I'm not sure he will be willing to do it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall