Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Tell the installer that you need a wireless cck for your setup and then tell him that the C31 goes in a room that you do have coax installed so that he can give you an approved setup, then when he leaves plug your Ethernet from router directly into your HR34 and take the w-cck and c31 into the room where you really want the c31 and connect it there, then you're all set! :)

That's sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

There's coax there, but the path to where the H34 will be located is something like 100 meters with at least two connections—enough of a signal loss so that Time Warner cable wouldn't work reliably between the two rooms.

You're only going to be running the DECA signal and not the full blown SWiM IF satellite signal to that room so it may work better than TWC did, although DirecTV's DECA frequencies are in cable's band, which is why they had to modify MoCA to work on their system.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#103 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

There's coax there, but the path to where the H34 will be located is something like 100 meters with at least two connections—enough of a signal loss so that Time Warner cable wouldn't work reliably between the two rooms.

How far away are the units going to actually be? Ands how far away is the remote room from your wireless router? That's a heck of a long coax run, although vos may be able to suggest amps to compensate for that if need be.

You may also jut shave to wait till after the install to order a DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit and a c31 separate and do it your self latter on. Will be interesting to see what the installer will do, please keep us posted.

#104 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

How far away are the units going to actually be? Ands how far away is the remote room from your wireless router? That's a heck of a long coax run, although vos may be able to suggest amps to compensate for that if need be.

You may also just have to wait till after the install to order a DIRECTV Wireless Broadband Internet Connection Kit and a c31 separate and do it your self latter on. Will be interesting to see what the installer will do, please keep us posted.

The rooms are on opposite sides of the house, about 100 feet apart, but the coax is routed through another building. The walls of the house are essentially one foot of solid concrete which makes unobtrusive internal routing next to impossible. The satellite feed comes through one of the walls of the room where the H34 will be located. There's one wireless router in the room where the C31 will be located. That room is connected via Cat5 to the H34 room, where there is a gigabit switch and an additional wireless AP.

I'll be sure to post what happens.

#105 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Just an FYI. Solidsignal now has a mounting bracket for the c31/41.

#106 OFFLINE   tgarons

tgarons

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

You're only going to be running the DECA signal and not the full blown SWiM IF satellite signal to that room so it may work better than TWC did, although DirecTV's DECA frequencies are in cable's band, which is why they had to modify MoCA to work on their system.

Turns out that DirecTV does work better on the cable than TWC. A standard installation worked fine. The dish had to be changed to SWM. DTV was confused because I have grandfathered beta whole home on ethernet without SWM. After that there was no problem with the long run using a wired cck to connect to my home network.

The tech didn't have a wireless cck. He said they go fast when they get them. All-in-all things went very smoothly.

#107 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Turns out that DirecTV does work better on the cable than TWC. A standard installation worked fine. The dish had to be changed to SWM. DTV was confused because I have grandfathered beta whole home on ethernet without SWM. After that there was no problem with the long run using a wired cck to connect to my home network.

The tech didn't have a wireless cck. He said they go fast when they get them. All-in-all things went very smoothly.

That's good to hear, and what I thought may happen. :) You may want to keep an eye on it though, to see if the connection becomes intermittent and/or low due to the issues you mentioned previously. You may be on the ragged edge of the "digital cliff" so to speak.:eek2:
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#108 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

We just got 3 C31's and and HR34 installed 2 days ago-- and have had lots of black screens / freezes / need to reset HR34 already...

In just 2 days, I've called DirecTV once per day over an issue and had to do 1-2 resets of the HR34 every day. Our screen goes black (not gray) from a C31. If you press guide- you can see white text on a black background- but no picture or sound. We're on a 1 year old (new) SWIM16 switch in a new house with 4 year old RG6. We still have an HR24 which works great- and prior to this upgrade we had 3 other HR's without a single issue- all on whole home (via wired ethernet).

We moved from using our own ethernet network to share playlists etc to DECA and the Cinema Connection Kit (wired, attached to ethernet) during the install 2 days ago.

When our great room C31 exhibited this black screen / no video image / no sound behavior this morning- I took a WORKING 31 from another room to the same place and swapped the two. The problem then showed up on the 2nd C31- which makes it seem like it's related to the cable there. I replaced all cables, then bypassed the receiver by connecting HDMI directly from C31 to a Sharp LC-70LE733U 70" LCD HDMI port, with no change. Red Button Resets on the C31 did not rectify the problem, neither did power cycling.

Direct Tech support said to reset (RBR) the HR34, which eliminated the black screen problem. Minutes later, the same C31 froze when editing the channel list- but a RBR resolved that. Still, I do regret spending over $500 only to have traded a reliable set of 4 HD DVRs with a very flaky "solution". I do hope we won't be living with the need to reset often.

#109 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I've had the same C31 issues that many other folks seem to be having where the units show menus, guides, etc. but do not display any video. I've posted in multiple threads about the problems that I've been having and looking for a solution there. It was suggested by another member that we document our problems here, so here I am.

I seem to have to reboot my HR34 unit at least once a day or else my C31s will do the above. An RBR of the C31 does nothing to fix the problem. I have the problem on both of my C31 devices and the problem exists for me with an older Vizio TV as well as a Panasonic manufactured in 2012. In all cases when the C31 unit acts up, a RBR of the HR34 will fix the problem but only for a day or so.

I've tried numerous things to resolve the problem to no avail. In a nutshell:

- I've tried various network changes on my home router as well as disconnecting my Genie from the home network entirely.
- Changing the power savings settings to off.
- Trying different resolutions.
- Trying native resolution in both on and off configurations.

Nothing seems to work for very long. I've been having the problem since the end of October and was only a new DirecTV customer for a few weeks prior to that. So, for a little over six weeks now I've been having to reboot my HR34 on a daily basis to ensure that my Genie system works OK.

I've made several calls to DirecTV on this issue and only in my latest calls have they seemed to acknowledge that there is, in fact, a problem and that they're working on fixing it. They had me submit a diagnostics report to them from my HR34, but that was several weeks ago.

I hope that they know what the issue is caused by and can fix the problem via a software update. As of right now, we don't have any information as to what the problem is or when we can expect some kind of fix.

In just 2 days, I've called DirecTV once per day over an issue and had to do 1-2 resets of the HR34 every day. Our screen goes black (not gray) from a C31.

FYI, the color of the background when this happens varies depending on what you set your background color to. Folks that have it set to black will see black. Others will see dark grey or just grey if it's set to those colors.

#110 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Do either of you have upnp turned on on your router? If so, turn it off, or disconnect the system from your hom network and see if that helps.

Also, what firmware is all your equipment on right now? If you can't find the client info screen in the menus, press and hold select for 12 seconds and when you let it go, you will have a screen that will tell you.

#111 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

If possible maybe try turning off all the other devices attached to your network, or at least the PC's, and see what that does. Back in the early days of testing RVU clients there was an issue where an app on a PC was causing the clients to not connect to the server, maybe there's another app that's causing problems?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#112 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

thanks for the suggestions- the C21 that's dead every morning is reporting 0x70A, Fri 11/9/2012. Having an Apple Airport Extreme (with a new *improved* and crippled airport utility- I don't have access to the network setting you suggested)- so I just unplugged the ethernet to the CCK. We'll find out tomorrow... thank you!

#113 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Do either of you have upnp turned on on your router? If so, turn it off, or disconnect the system from your hom network and see if that helps.

If possible maybe try turning off all the other devices attached to your network, or at least the PC's, and see what that does. Back in the early days of testing RVU clients there was an issue where an app on a PC was causing the clients to not connect to the server, maybe there's another app that's causing problems?

I did disable uPNP on my router which did serve to shorten the length of time from when the C31 was powered on until it showed a picture. But it didn't really do anything to solve the grey/black screen problem.

The change in start up behavior did ultimately lead me to disconnecting the HR34 from the home network entirely, just to make sure that it wasn't something on my home IP network causing a problem. Unfortunately, both of my C31 devices will still black/grey screen even when they're entirely disconnected from the network and carrying only their private 169.254.x.x addresses. So whatever is causing the problem, it still happens when completely disconnected from the Internet and home ethernet network.

Also, what firmware is all your equipment on right now? If you can't find the client info screen in the menus, press and hold select for 12 seconds and when you let it go, you will have a screen that will tell you.

Last I checked, I was running 0x70A. But I honestly haven't checked in a while and am not at home at the moment to do so. I'll check tonight and report back.

#114 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I did disable uPNP on my router which did serve to shorten the length of time from when the C31 was powered on until it showed a picture. But it didn't really do anything to solve the grey/black screen problem.

The change in start up behavior did ultimately lead me to disconnecting the HR34 from the home network entirely, just to make sure that it wasn't something on my home IP network causing a problem. Unfortunately, both of my C31 devices will still black/grey screen even when they're entirely disconnected from the network and carrying only their private 169.254.x.x addresses. So whatever is causing the problem, it still happens when completely disconnected from the Internet and home ethernet network.

Last I checked, I was running 0x70A. But I honestly haven't checked in a while and am not at home at the moment to do so. I'll check tonight and report back.

Grey screen? Do you mean when you turn the unit on it has a grey screen for a while? That's a firmware issue, although I think it may be a HR34 issue rather than a c31 issue. The upnp has to do with speed and units dropping off the network, or freezing, from what I can tell, but I'm not completely sure. It just seems to affect some people and not others, probably dependent on the router.

And 70a is the latest.

#115 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Grey screen? Do you mean when you turn the unit on it has a grey screen for a while? That's a firmware issue, although I think it may be a HR34 issue rather than a c31 issue. The upnp has to do with speed and units dropping off the network, or freezing, from what I can tell, but I'm not completely sure. It just seems to affect some people and not others, probably dependent on the router.

And 70a is the latest.

Sorry for not clarifying. I say "grey screen" to mean my C31 clients will show a blank grey (or black, if my background colors are defined as black) screen when powered up and never display any video - live or recorded.

When the C31s are in this state, I can see a list of recordings, see the guide, view the menus, etc. But the C31 will never display any video.

DBSTalk user c6duffman also has this same problem (it looks like he has black defined as his background colors instead of grey/dark grey) and took a screen shot of what it looks like when this happens. It can be seen here.

#116 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sorry for not clarifying. I say "grey screen" to mean my C31 clients will show a blank grey (or black, if my background colors are defined as black) screen when powered up and never display any video - live or recorded.

When the C31s are in this state, I can see a list of recordings, see the guide, view the menus, etc. But the C31 will never display any video.

DBSTalk user c6duffman also has this same problem (it looks like he has black defined as his background colors instead of grey/dark grey) and took a screen shot of what it looks like when this happens. It can be seen here.

Ah. I really think that's a HR34 issue, unfortunately. I'll bet your display settings for bars for non Hi Definition programs is set to grey?

#117 OFFLINE   Drinyth

Drinyth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ah. I really think that's a HR34 issue, unfortunately. I'll bet your display settings for bars for non Hi Definition programs is set to grey?

Yes, they are. I couldn't remember what the setting was exactly (and am not home to give you the exact wording), but it's the one that lets you pick between black, grey, or dark grey.

It very well might be a HR34 issue as a reboot of the HR34 does clear up the problem with the C31s. But when the C31 units are acting up like this, the HR34 continues to operate just fine. I can record and watch shows on that just fine from the HR34. Hence it's hard to say if this post properly belongs here or on the HR34 thread?

#118 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yes, they are. I couldn't remember what the setting was exactly (and am not home to give you the exact wording), but it's the one that lets you pick between black, grey, or dark grey.

It very well might be a HR34 issue as a reboot of the HR34 does clear up the problem with the C31s. But when the C31 units are acting up like this, the HR34 continues to operate just fine. I can record and watch shows on that just fine from the HR34. Hence it's hard to say if this post properly belongs here or on the HR34 thread?

Oh it's an HR34 issue, but posting it here makes the most sense, because the issue is related to the client. The c31 GUI is created by the HR34, hence why its the source of the issue.

#119 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

My Samsung UN50ES6500 was delivered yesterday, so I thought I would give RVU a try. Turned on the TV with only ethernet connected to my router. Showed RVU was available. Added client on HR34 and entered PIN on TV. Called DTV to activate. Spent 1/2 hour on phone, because it was her first time doing this. She ordered a DECA, but I don't think I will need it, since it works perfect with just ethernet.

Samsung remote works well with all DTV functions available. What makes this nice for me is I have Vulkano hooked up to the HR34. Now I can change channels when I watching TV on the computer or iPad wihout upsetting my wife.

Also, I have all three HDMI inputs available on the TV for Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, etc.

Read a lot about RVU, but in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be this easy to set up or work this well.

#120 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

New install on the 21 no grey screen problems yet in fact works better than expected can do mrv from a hr24 so that software problem must have been fixed too
The only thing I have found is when trying to view a recording from the 24 on the c31 made from the am21 ota channel it a black screen the program runs if you go to the 35 or the 24 its been advance if any has in ideas would appreciate hearing them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...