Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#121 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

New install on the 21 no grey screen problems yet in fact works better than expected can do mrv from a hr24 so that software problem must have been fixed too
The only thing I have found is when trying to view a recording from the 24 on the c31 made from the am21 ota channel it a black screen the program runs if you go to the 35 or the 24 its been advance if any has in ideas would appreciate hearing them.

That's a problem that's been around for awhile. If you need to view an OTA recording on the C31 then you need to record it on the HR34 and not the HR24.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Now that I have had my Samsung UN50ES6500 for a few days, I have noticed a few issues with the way the Samsung remote works with the HR34 both when connected via HDMI and RVU. While neither mode works quite the way I would like, it does seem strange that the remote has more features available when connected as an RVU client than when connected directly to the HR34 via HDMI as follows:

1. UN50ES6500 connected to Directv HR34-700 via HDMI 1
a. Remote SETUP for Directv
b. Device - STB
c. WATCH TV has no function
d. Directv functions operate correctly with exception of:
1. CH LIST does not bring up Directv Guide
2. RETURN brings up Directv Menu
3. INFO and C bring up Directv Info
4. No button for Play List
d. MENU - Directv Menu
e. EXIT - Directv Exit
f. PRE-CH brings up previous Directv channel

2. UN50ES6500 Connected to Directv HR34-700 via RVU
a. Remote SETUP for Directv
b. Device - TV
c. WATCH TV returns to HR34-700 via HDMI
d. Directv functions operate correctly
1. CH LIST and RETURN bring up Directv Guide
2. INFO
3. MENU brings up TV Menu
4. B brings up Directv Menu
5. C brings up Playlist
6. D brings up Mini Guide
7. A deletes Recorded programs
8. PRE-CH does not function

Suggested mod would be for the HR34-700 to function via HDMI the same as RVU with all features available.

#123 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Interesting about the Samsung remote in that I was just looking around to see if there was a mapping somewhere of the Samsung buttons to D* functions...

Finally got around Monday to activating one of our Samsung un46es6500's as an RVU client to the HR34. Mostly want to compare it to the two C31s we already have. As many have noted, the call to get this activated is a test of patience, but it'll get done eventually.

One interesting glitch was that just after the activation when I should have been all set, I could only get a black screen on the RVU client. Eventually figured out that something (not me) had zeroed out all the Picture settings. Doing a reset on these solved the problem.

So far, the client works well, though trying to figure out what does what on the remote is still a work in progress. But basic viewing is pretty good. I even paused and fast forwarded a non-recorded (broadcast) show which I didn't think was supposed to be possible. Sweet. Can't at the moment see any reason to spend any money on more C31s.

Main thing at the moment I need to figure out with the remote is how to control which version of the Guide gets used, since by default I get the 'All Channels' version and want to change that to my custom list. Will look in to seeing if there is anything to doing a 'setup' on the remote for D* or not since I so far having done anything to the remote itself.

Considering also trying a D* remote instead, but not positive that actually works since I don't know that the TV/RVU client would understand the STB commands coming from the remote.

Finally, one interesting observation which I guess makes sense but that I hadn't thought about previously is that multiple RVU clients connect to the same channel on the same HR34 will have varying (different per client) time shift (delay) from the same channel showing on a TV connected directly to the HR34.

#124 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Should have clarified that I don't think any of my current D* remotes would work correctly on the RVU client, but I will experiment.

I'm aware of the RC70X, but have never seen one and it wasn't offered to me as part of my activation of the RVU client. All the info I've seen on them tho is reasonably old already so not sure what the current story is with a D* provided RVU remote. Perhaps I'll call them tomorrow to find out.

#125 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Ugh. So in the process of playing with the remotes, I decided to switch over the C31s to RF since IR has proven to be a little sketchy in our setup.

First one switch over no problem, but appears on the second that the 'select & mute' step sent the 'select' to the C31 and bypassed the screen with the magic 6 digit code needed to actually pair the RF from the remote to the C31.

I know from previous efforts with H-receivers this is usually the last 6 digits of the RID, but what is this on a C31? And how can I find it if the remote is inoperable?

Basically stuck with a C31 thinking it has an RF remote and a remote stuck in IR which won't control anything on the C31. Thought I'd seen this discussed here somewhere but couldn't find it, so any help would be appreciated.

#126 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Ugh. So in the process of playing with the remotes, I decided to switch over the C31s to RF since IR has proven to be a little sketchy in our setup.

First one switch over no problem, but appears on the second that the 'select & mute' step sent the 'select' to the C31 and bypassed the screen with the magic 6 digit code needed to actually pair the RF from the remote to the C31.

I know from previous efforts with H-receivers this is usually the last 6 digits of the RID, but what is this on a C31? And how can I find it if the remote is inoperable?

Basically stuck with a C31 thinking it has an RF remote and a remote stuck in IR which won't control anything on the C31. Thought I'd seen this discussed here somewhere but couldn't find it, so any help would be appreciated.

Reboot the C31 and when it gets to the Running Self Test screen press select. That will get you into the diagnostic screen and you'll see the RID number you need there.

#127 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Reboot the C31 and when it gets to the Running Self Test screen press select. That will get you into the diagnostic screen and you'll see the RID number you need there.

Thanks. That did the trick.

Not been my morning though as just after I programmed the remote, I switched the C31 off, then back on. When it came up I got the gray screen (but with no other graphics). Checked the HR34 and it was locked up f(no signal directly to TV, not responding to its remote, etc). First time since I've had it that has happened. Resetting the HR34 fixed this at least.

Earlier, I had my first black screen similar to what has been widely discussed here where you get menus and other graphics but no picture. Oddly, that was actually on the Samsung RVU client and not on either of my C31s. At the time, one of the C31s was running and working just fine. Restarting the Samsung didnt help, but resetting the Hr34 cleared that up too.

#128 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Not sure I understand Directv and Samsung logic with how RVU is intended to be used on RVU capable TVs.

My understanding after chatting with pretty knowledgeable CSRs is that the Samsung remote has most of the most used Directv functions (Guide, Play List, Menu) when the TV is an RVU (Deca/Ethernet)client (Controls Directtv thru the TV), but just basic functions (Channel Up/Down, no Guide or Playlist) when the TV is connected to the HR34 via HDMI.

This is because as a client, the thought is that the TV would be in another room away from the HR34, so needs the Directv features available on the remote, but if connected directly to the HR34, one would probably use the Directv Remote.

In RVU mode, 3D and PIP are not available.

Why would I buy a TV that has 3D, PIP, and RVU if I didn't want all of those features available?

My setup is I have the Samsung TV UN50ES6500 right next to my HR34 and Router. The TV is connected to HR34 via HDMI and is also an RVU client connected to the router.

A Vulkano Flow sits on top of the HR34 connected by Component. I can be in my den watching programs on my PC or iPad via the Vulkano App while my wife is watching another channel on the Samsung in the Living Room or I could be doing the same while on travel.

But, if my wife wants to watch 3D, she would have to change over to HDMI and use the Directv Remote for Play List and Guide and the Samsung Remote for most other features including AnyNet to control the Sound Bar and Blu-ray Player.

Hopefully, someday 3D and PIP will be available on the TV when used as an RVU client. I am not sure if 3D works on a C31. Also, I would like to see the same functions on the remote.

#129 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Not sure I understand Directv and Samsung logic with how RVU is intended to be used on RVU capable TVs.

My understanding after chatting with pretty knowledgeable CSRs is that the Samsung remote has most of the most used Directv functions (Guide, Play List, Menu) when the TV is an RVU (Deca/Ethernet)client (Controls Directtv thru the TV), but just basic functions (Channel Up/Down, no Guide or Playlist) when the TV is connected to the HR34 via HDMI.

This is because as a client, the thought is that the TV would be in another room away from the HR34, so needs the Directv features available on the remote, but if connected directly to the HR34, one would probably use the Directv Remote.

In RVU mode, 3D and PIP are not available.

Why would I buy a TV that has 3D, PIP, and RVU if I didn't want all of those features available?

My setup is I have the Samsung TV UN50ES6500 right next to my HR34 and Router. The TV is connected to HR34 via HDMI and is also an RVU client connected to the router.

A Vulkano Flow sits on top of the HR34 connected by Component. I can be in my den watching programs on my PC or iPad via the Vulkano App while my wife is watching another channel on the Samsung in the Living Room or I could be doing the same while on travel.

But, if my wife wants to watch 3D, she would have to change over to HDMI and use the Directv Remote for Play List and Guide and the Samsung Remote for most other features including AnyNet to control the Sound Bar and Blu-ray Player.

Hopefully, someday 3D and PIP will be available on the TV when used as an RVU client. I am not sure if 3D works on a C31. Also, I would like to see the same functions on the remote.

First the easy answer, 3D does work with a C31.

For PIP that has been published that it only works on the TV directly, even says that on the DIRECTV web site for the Genie.

Not sure what your issue is about the remote when using thr HR34 when connected to the TV via HDMI. When in that mode you need to use the DIRECTV remote for functions not the Samsung remote. You can program the remote to control the TV and two other devices such as your Blu-Ray player and an AVR.

When using the RVU client DIRECTV originally was to provide a RC71 remote that would have the DIRECTV functions on it but looks like that plan has changed and they just want you to use the Samsung remote. I've seen a cheat sheet which showed which DIRECTV functions matched up to what buttons on the remote but I can't find it now.

#130 OFFLINE   dhetzel

dhetzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi there,

I have new UN32EH5300F, and it does show RVU from the HR34 in source, but when selected, after it says connecting to RVU, says "This location is not authorized."

I called Directv, but can't seem to find a rep who can figure out how to add it, so I was wondering if you know who you might have worked with. My connection is hardwired ethernet, and it's clear that the TV can see the HR34, but they want to send me a DECA etc etc.

Does the MAC address or something for the TV need to be used when the add the location as authorized to talk to the HR34?

Regards,

Dorn Hetzel
Hogansville, GA

My Samsung UN50ES6500 was delivered yesterday, so I thought I would give RVU a try. Turned on the TV with only ethernet connected to my router. Showed RVU was available. Added client on HR34 and entered PIN on TV. Called DTV to activate. Spent 1/2 hour on phone, because it was her first time doing this. She ordered a DECA, but I don't think I will need it, since it works perfect with just ethernet.

Samsung remote works well with all DTV functions available. What makes this nice for me is I have Vulkano hooked up to the HR34. Now I can change channels when I watching TV on the computer or iPad wihout upsetting my wife.

Also, I have all three HDMI inputs available on the TV for Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, etc.

Read a lot about RVU, but in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be this easy to set up or work this well.

#131 OFFLINE   dhetzel

dhetzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

What do you use for serial number if the client is an RVU TV connected over ethernet instead of a C31 over coax (I guess MAC is self evident, but I spent a couple of hours on the phone with directv today and among other things they couldn't figure out how to input mac or whatever for the samsung tv client)

I activated 3 C31 clients about two weeks ago

I started with the front line CSR's and was transfered to the HR-34 Group every time and they were able to activate them.

You will need to provide the Serial Number and the MAC Address which are on the end of the box or the bottom of the C31 Client. What throws them off is if you purchase thru a retailer, the order is not in their system and they have to manually enter the data.

This was a few weeks ago, so things may have changed from what they were back then.

#132 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Here's a cheat sheet that I found that maps DIRECTV remote keys against a Samsung 2011 model remote control for RVU functions.

Attached Files

#133 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hi there,

I have new UN32EH5300F, and it does show RVU from the HR34 in source, but when selected, after it says connecting to RVU, says "This location is not authorized."

I called Directv, but can't seem to find a rep who can figure out how to add it, so I was wondering if you know who you might have worked with. My connection is hardwired ethernet, and it's clear that the TV can see the HR34, but they want to send me a DECA etc etc.

Does the MAC address or something for the TV need to be used when the add the location as authorized to talk to the HR34?

Regards,

Dorn Hetzel
Hogansville, GA

The CSR who activated my RVU read from a script. Action on my part was to add a client on the HR34, get a PIN and enter it on the RVU side. It all went pretty routine.

My connection is hard wired just like yours. You don't need a DECA. In fact, it won't work, because it wouldn't be powered. The CSR I spoke with today said I would need a broadband adapted, but if RVU is working over ethernet, nothing else is necessary.

#134 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

My connection is hard wired just like yours. You don't need a DECA. In fact, it won't work, because it wouldn't be powered. The CSR I spoke with today said I would need a broadband adapted, but if RVU is working over ethernet, nothing else is necessary.

That seems to be hit or miss with most CSR's requiring a truck roll to install a DECA-BB for a Samsung client at $49, but sometimes you can get them to waive the $49 charge.

#135 OFFLINE   dhetzel

dhetzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

The CSR who activated my RVU read from a script. Action on my part was to add a client on the HR34, get a PIN and enter it on the RVU side. It all went pretty routine.

In my situation, the RVU TV can pretty clearly communicate with the HR34. The HR34 shows up on the source list and can be selected, followed by a "connecting" message, and then "This location is not authorized." This happens whether or not the HR34 is sitting at the PIN display screen of add a location, and I never get prompted for a PIN on the Samsung RVU TV.

Spoke with a parade of folks at directv who were all convinced my problem was the lack of a DECA, etc. Do they need to "add" my Samsung (and perhaps it's MAC address?) somewhere before this will all work?

[My current setup is an HR34 and a C31 on one dish, connected by coax, and then an HR24 in an outbuilding, with a separate dish, connected to the HR34 by ethernet ONLY. The HR24 can play stuff from the HR34 fine, and the reverse, and as of a recent update, the C31 can see and play stuff from the HR24. My home LAN spans a number of switches in a number of buildings, and I really want to leave the Samsung TV on that LAN since it has access to a number of media servers there]

Edited by dhetzel, 29 December 2012 - 08:57 AM.
fix typo

#136 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

In my situation, the RVU TV can pretty clearly communicate with the HR34. The HR34 shows up on the source list and can be selected, followed by a "connecting" message, and then "This location is not authorized." This happens whether or not the HR34 is sitting at the PIN display screen of add a location, and I never get prompted for a PIN on the Samsung RVU TV.

Spoke with a parade of folks at directv who were all convinced my problem was the lack of a DECA, etc. Do they need to "add" my Samsung (and perhaps it's MAC address?) somewhere before this will all work?

[My current setup is an HR34 and a C31 on one dish, connected by coax, and then an HR24 in an outbuilding, with a separate dish, connected to the HR34 by ethernet ONLY. The HR24 can play stuff from the HR34 fine, and the reverse, and as of a recent update, the C31 can see and play stuff from the HR24. My home LAN spans a number of switches in a number of buildings, and I really want to leave the Samsung TV on that LAN since it has access to a number of media servers there]

Please see the PM I send you about your problem.

#137 OFFLINE   dhetzel

dhetzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

RAD,

Yes, thank you, I got your message. Apparently I haven't posted enough to send you a PM back because I got an error message to that effect when I tried.

I would guess, if the problem is "recognition" of the particular device type by the HR34 (and therefore not a networking problem), that the DECA they insisted on sending me is not going to help...

Apparently, when I re-signed-up with DirecTV a few months ago, they added some sort of "premium support" to my account without mentioning it. So after some time on the phone with the regular support folks, they decided to send me to the "premium" folks who they claimed would know so much more about how to fix my problem. OMG, what a joke, the "premium" folks were way, way, way thicker than the regular support folks, and just completely useless! (Mental note to get on the phone with them today and get that cr*p removed from my account)

I posted one more general description of my problem in the hope that perhaps someone somewhere has found a workaround. Meanwhile I am trying to figure out a kludge of my own :)

Regards,

-Dorn

Edited by dhetzel, 29 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.
fix word repeat and sentence mess

#138 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Dhetzel, no installing a DECA won't solve the problem, but it will make the connection 'supported' since they don't support a direct Ethernet connection. At the moment the only work around is to get a C31 or some other STB to connect to the TV, sorry.

#139 OFFLINE   dhetzel

dhetzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

I don't want to pay for a C31 that will hopefully soon be redundant, so I am going to go with slaving it to another box using and HDMI splitter and extender and use the Android DirecTV Remote+ app for control. Not a perfect solution but will hopefully get me by until the HR34 can agree to be friends with the 5300 :)

#140 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Here's a cheat sheet that I found that maps DIRECTV remote keys against a Samsung 2011 model remote control for RVU functions.

Thanks for posting the cheat sheet. Close to the way mine works, except for:
1. PRE-CH does not work
2. CH LIST or Return brings up Guide
3. D brings up Mini Guide

Again, the remote is a bit frustrating when i try to control the HR34 when connected via HDMI, because there are no buttons for List or Guide. I can get to List by going through Menu and D will bring up the Mini Guide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...