Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for posting the cheat sheet. Close to the way mine works, except for:
1. PRE-CH does not work
2. CH LIST or Return brings up Guide
3. D brings up Mini Guide

Again, the remote is a bit frustrating when i try to control the HR34 when connected via HDMI, because there are no buttons for List or Guide. I can get to List by going through Menu and D will bring up the Mini Guide.

Guess I'm still confused a bit, what remote are you trying to use to control the HR34 when connected to the TV via HDMI, it should be the DIRECTV remote?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

In my situation, the RVU TV can pretty clearly communicate with the HR34. The HR34 shows up on the source list and can be selected, followed by a "connecting" message, and then "This location is not authorized." This happens whether or not the HR34 is sitting at the PIN display screen of add a location, and I never get prompted for a PIN on the Samsung RVU TV.

Log in to your D* account online and look at your equipment list. If you don't see an entry for 'Samsung RVU TV', then you are not set up correctly. You'll just have to get a rep that can help you, or keep pushing them to get it figured out. Getting my first one set up on Monday took almost an hour on the phone, the second one today took about 5 minutes (I spent longer on hold).

The sequence that worked for me...
1. Switch TV to RVU input which brought up an 'unauthorized' screen that details the procedure
2. Go to HR34 to 'Add Client', which brings up the PIN
3. Back to the TV which had automatically switched to the PIN entry, enter PIN
4. Select 'Add New Client' on the TV, which brings a different 'unauthorized' screen with instructions to call D*
5. Hit the 'Back' button and call D*, when they tell you the client is added to your account, reselect 'Add New Client' on the TV and all should be good

There are no numbers (serial, MAC address, etc) needed to get the TV client activated.

#143 OFFLINE   johnr9e

johnr9e

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

My experience is similar to dhetzel except I have also tried connecting a Samsung eh5300 directly via a cck and the result is the same - just the "location not authorized" message and not the screens that haddock reported that also provided a procedure to activate. CSR would only try a truck roll. Out of curiosity, is the difference that dhetzel and I don't have a c31 client (i.e., 0 authorized RVU clients) while haddock already had a c31 (at least one RVU client) authorized?

#144 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Log in to your D* account online and look at your equipment list. If you don't see an entry for 'Samsung RVU TV', then you are not set up correctly. You'll just have to get a rep that can help you, or keep pushing them to get it figured out. Getting my first one set up on Monday took almost an hour on the phone, the second one today took about 5 minutes (I spent longer on hold).

The sequence that worked for me...
1. Switch TV to RVU input which brought up an 'unauthorized' screen that details the procedure
2. Go to HR34 to 'Add Client', which brings up the PIN
3. Back to the TV which had automatically switched to the PIN entry, enter PIN
4. Select 'Add New Client' on the TV, which brings a different 'unauthorized' screen with instructions to call D*
5. Hit the 'Back' button and call D*, when they tell you the client is added to your account, reselect 'Add New Client' on the TV and all should be good

There are no numbers (serial, MAC address, etc) needed to get the TV client activated.

Exactly the way I set mine up.

#145 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Guess I'm still confused a bit, what remote are you trying to use to control the HR34 when connected to the TV via HDMI, it should be the DIRECTV remote?

Sorry for the confusion. My desire is use one remote - Samsung - to control my Samsung TV, Samsung Sound Bar, Samsung Blu-ray player. Also, I will be connecting to Directv 90% of the time as an RVU source, also using the Samsung remote with the features as shown in the cheat sheet you posted.

But, I am selfish. For that 10% of the time I will be controlling the HR34 via HDMI, I still want to use the Samsung remote. Samsung does provide basic settings in this mode.

#146 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Sorry for the confusion. My desire is use one remote - Samsung - to control my Samsung TV, Samsung Sound Bar, Samsung Blu-ray player. Also, I will be connecting to Directv 90% of the time as an RVU source, also using the Samsung remote with the features as shown in the cheat sheet you posted.

But, I am selfish. For that 10% of the time I will be controlling the HR34 via HDMI, I still want to use the Samsung remote. Samsung does provide basic settings in this mode.

Aside from wanting to use the Samsung remote instead of the one from D*, what's the reason for using the TV as an RVU client instead of using it 100% of the time via the HDMI connection?

Seems you are paying extra ($6 client fee) to have the same TV connected to the HR34 twice, but I can't really see any advantage in this but am sure I'm missing something. As others have noted, if you used the HDMI connection and the D* remote all the time you _should_ be able to control all the devices you mention from that one remote.

#147 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Aside from wanting to use the Samsung remote instead of the one from D*, what's the reason for using the TV as an RVU client instead of using it 100% of the time via the HDMI connection?

Seems you are paying extra ($6 client fee) to have the same TV connected to the HR34 twice, but I can't really see any advantage in this but am sure I'm missing something. As others have noted, if you used the HDMI connection and the D* remote all the time you _should_ be able to control all the devices you mention from that one remote.

I have a Vulkano Flow connected to the HR34 via component. If I am at a computer or iPad in another room or on travel, I can watch programs on the HR34 while my wife watches TV on the Samsung via RVU. My youngest son can also watch programs while away at college. Before getting Genie and Whole Home, I had a HR20 and HR23 sitting on top of each other in the living room set up this way with another receiver in a bedroom. In that setup I had a Harmony One, which I never really cared for. For me, the Samsung remote with its Anynet feature is almost ideal. Finally, the HR34 is in a cabinet, so I can control it without using a blaster. I also got rid of Roku and an HDMI switch. I would rather include Directv on my Samsung Remote than trying to control all the Samsung features on a Directv remote.

#148 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have a Vulkano Flow connected to the HR34 via component. If I am at a computer or iPad in another room or on travel, I can watch programs on the HR34 while my wife watches TV on the Samsung via RVU. My youngest son can also watch programs while away at college. Before getting Genie and Whole Home, I had a HR20 and HR23 sitting on top of each other in the living room set up this way with another receiver in a bedroom. In that setup I had a Harmony One, which I never really cared for. For me, the Samsung remote with its Anynet feature is almost ideal. Finally, the HR34 is in a cabinet, so I can control it without using a blaster. I also got rid of Roku and an HDMI switch. I would rather include Directv on my Samsung Remote than trying to control all the Samsung features on a Directv remote.

Got it. So the Vulkano is really the main 'display' for the HR34, and the Samsung is just a RVU client as you'd expect. The fact that you have the HDMI cable in place is somewhat incidental.

Not sure how you can get what you want given how limited the Samsung remote actually is. I'm not thrilled with it either, but can live with them since my RVU TVs are in bedrooms so not getting constant use like the C31s with D* remotes. Unless Samsung puts out a better remote or you again go the Harmony (or similar route) I think you're stuck. Even though the D* remote could control your devices, it doesn't fit your scenario.

#149 OFFLINE   haddock

haddock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

My experience is similar to dhetzel except I have also tried connecting a Samsung eh5300 directly via a cck and the result is the same - just the "location not authorized" message and not the screens that haddock reported that also provided a procedure to activate. CSR would only try a truck roll. Out of curiosity, is the difference that dhetzel and I don't have a c31 client (i.e., 0 authorized RVU clients) while haddock already had a c31 (at least one RVU client) authorized?

I'm not sure the existing client matters too much, since others on here have just the HR34 and Samsung RVU clients with no C31s.

Getting my C31s activated was actually more painful than getting the first TV activated, and that first TV took a good hour on the phone to get sorted out even though I already had the C31s active. Not sure why the call for the 2nd TV went so smoothly/quickly but was glad for it.

From experience as well, I don't see how a truck roll will help anything as the tech will be pretty limited in what he could do. At most, he'd validate the connections then be on the same phone waiting for D* to activate the client on your account.

My TVs are es6500s, so perhaps it could be something on the eh?

If it were me, I'd call D* and persist until they activated the TV client on my account. Once done, if I still couldn't actually connect the TV to the HR35 I'd call Samsung.

#150 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have heard from a good source at DIRECTV that the EH5300 series of Samsung Smart TV's currently are not supported for RVU. The message that is displayed about the location not being authorized is due to the model number of the TV not being in a list that is kept in the HR34 of valid TV RVU clients, if it's not in the list you'll get the message. Doesn't matter how you are connected, DECA or ethernet, or if you have an available RVU client license on your account. Nothing that you do on your end or the CSR's end can get it working at this time. If you check http://www.rvualliance.org/products you'll see the EH5300 series hasn't even been certified yet by the RVU Alliance. Hopefully it won't take that long to be corrected but based on the past speed of Samsung concerning RVU if you need it now on a EH5300 series TV I think I'd be looking for an alternative means to get DIRECTV on that set, IMHO.

Attached Thumbnails

• RVU Authorization.JPG

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#151 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

You may have also noticed that the HR34/Genie doesn't appear on the list either.

It is puzzling that they've certified several clients but they have yet to certify a server.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#152 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I haven't been all that satisfied with the way my Samsung UN50ES6500 has been working as an RVU client connected by ethernet to my router. Although live tv works fine, I seem to get quite a few skips on recorded programs. Also, FF and 30 second skip has been buggy. Also, buggy when trying to control from my iPad.

This morning I connected the ethernet port on the TV directly to the ethernet port on the HR34. The difference was like night and day. Recordings no longer have any skips. FF and 30 second skip works fine. Controlling from my iPad is as fast and responsive as controlling directly from a remote.

So far, I haven't seen where I have created any new problems with thee rest of the system.

#153 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

This morning I connected the ethernet port on the TV directly to the ethernet port on the HR34. The difference was like night and day. Recordings no longer have any skips. FF and 30 second skip works fine. Controlling from my iPad is as fast and responsive as controlling directly from a remote.

So far, I haven't seen where I have created any new problems with thee rest of the system.

If everything works fine without the router, it seems obvious that the router is the problem. Consider connecting everything to a standalone Ethernet switch (hubs are eeeevillllle) to take the router out of the path when it doesn't need to be involved.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#154 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Good move. I'd guess that 97.43% of clients are connected via DECA, which also removes the router from the equation.

What is the rest of your setup?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#155 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Good move. I'd guess that 97.43% of clients are connected via DECA, which also removes the router from the equation.

What is the rest of your setup?

Router is still part of the equation, since the Broadband adapter is connected to it. Otherwise, I have a pretty basic setup:

4 Way SWM Splitter (Master Bedroom Closet)
Mod# MSPLIT4R1-02

Input:
Slimline - 3S Satellite Dish

Output 1 to:
Power Inserter
Mod# PI21R1-03

Output 2 to:
HR23-700 (Bedroom) via DECA DCA 2SR0-01

Output 3 to:
DECA Broadband Adapter (Living Room) connected to ASUS RT-N66U Router
Mod# DECA BB1MR0-01

Output 4 to:
HR34-700 (Living Room)

HR34 connected to Samsung UN50ES6500 RVU client via ethernet
HR34 connected to Vulkano Flow via Component

Samsung Soundbar HW-450 connected to Samsung UN50ES6500 via HDMI-1 (AnyNet)
Samsung DVD Player BD-5900 connected to Soundbad via HDMI (AnyNet)

#156 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

If you've got three devices (TV, HR34, Vulkano) in very close proximity, it seems like you've due for a small switch. This should allow a relatively direct connection between the TV and the HR34 while not cutting the TV out of Internet access. How is the Vulkano connected to your LAN?

#157 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

If only the RVU clients other than the C31 supported DECA...

#158 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

If they have an ethernet port, they support DECA!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#159 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

If you've got three devices (TV, HR34, Vulkano) in very close proximity, it seems like you've due for a small switch. This should allow a relatively direct connection between the TV and the HR34 while not cutting the TV out of Internet access. How is the Vulkano connected to your LAN?

The TV is connected directly to the HR 34 by ethernet cable and has internet access. The Vulkano is connected to the router by ethernet cable.

The only time I use an HDMI cable between the TV and the HR34 is when I want to watch 3D or make some setup changes. Samsung RVU doesn't support 3D, PIP, or certain setup features related to the remote control, network, or Multi Room.

For me, maybe not others, this setup works because I have eliminated the need for Harmony One Remote, Infrared Blaster, ROKU, HDMI Switch, etc. There is a great iPhone/iPad remote app for the TV called myTifi. Also, the Directv TV iPad app controls the TV when it is used as an RVU client.

I also have a PC connected to the TV via HDMI, but don't use it much.

#160 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

The TV is connected directly to the HR 34 by ethernet cable and has internet access. The Vulkano is connected to the router by ethernet cable.

The only time I use an HDMI cable between the TV and the HR34 is when I want to watch 3D or make some setup changes. Samsung RVU doesn't support 3D, PIP, or certain setup features related to the remote control, network, or Multi Room.

For me, maybe not others, this setup works because I have eliminated the need for Harmony One Remote, Infrared Blaster, ROKU, HDMI Switch, etc. There is a great iPhone/iPad remote app for the TV called myTifi. Also, the Directv TV iPad app controls the TV when it is used as an RVU client.

I also have a PC connected to the TV via HDMI, but don't use it much.

Do you have the HR34 connected to something else too? I don't get why your not hook the HR34 up directly via hdmi all the time rather than using the Samsung as a RVU client. What am I missing?

spam firewall