In my situation, the RVU TV can pretty clearly communicate with the HR34. The HR34 shows up on the source list and can be selected, followed by a "connecting" message, and then "This location is not authorized." This happens whether or not the HR34 is sitting at the PIN display screen of add a location, and I never get prompted for a PIN on the Samsung RVU TV.
Log in to your D* account online and look at your equipment list. If you don't see an entry for 'Samsung RVU TV', then you are not set up correctly. You'll just have to get a rep that can help you, or keep pushing them to get it figured out. Getting my first one set up on Monday took almost an hour on the phone, the second one today took about 5 minutes (I spent longer on hold).
The sequence that worked for me...
1. Switch TV to RVU input which brought up an 'unauthorized' screen that details the procedure
2. Go to HR34 to 'Add Client', which brings up the PIN
3. Back to the TV which had automatically switched to the PIN entry, enter PIN
4. Select 'Add New Client' on the TV, which brings a different 'unauthorized' screen with instructions to call D*
5. Hit the 'Back' button and call D*, when they tell you the client is added to your account, reselect 'Add New Client' on the TV and all should be good
There are no numbers (serial, MAC address, etc) needed to get the TV client activated.