Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

If they have an ethernet port, they support DECA!

The TVs do not support DECA. They can be adapted to DECA but that is not the same thing.

Edited by harsh, 06 January 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Vulkano is connected to the router by ethernet cable.

If you've got an Ethernet cable right there, my switch recommendation is worth trying as it will keep your TV off of the DECA cloud for all of its many functions other than RVU.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#163 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

The TVs do not support DECA. They can be adapted to DECA but that is not the same thing.

Can you point to any TV that has a coax connection for any flavor of moca?

#164 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Do you have the HR34 connected to something else too? I don't get why your not hook the HR34 up directly via hdmi all the time rather than using the Samsung as a RVU client. What am I missing?

I have three connections to the HR34:
1. Ethernet port is connected to the ethernet port on the TV
2. HDMI is connected to HDMI-1 on the TV
3. Component is connected to a Vulkano Flow

If I have RVU selected on the TV (ethernet port), I can watch a Directv live or recorded program in the living room while someone else can watch a different program on the Mac in my den and/or an iPad/iPhone or on a PC in another town via the Vulkano app.

If nobody is watching anything via the Vulkano, then I can watch TV via HDMI, but then I need to use the Directv Remote. In RVU mode, the Samsung remote does a good job of controlling the HR34.

#165 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Can you point to any TV that has a coax connection for any flavor of moca?

I cannot because such a TV isn't on the market yet. That is my point. Outboard media converters are not the way to curry favor from installers nor the public at large.

Samsung went out on a limb and included RVU client functionality yet there still doesn't appear to be an approved RVU server.

#166 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I cannot because such a TV isn't on the market yet. That is my point. Outboard media converters are not the way to curry favor from installers nor the public at large.

Samsung went out on a limb and included RVU client functionality yet there still doesn't appear to be an approved RVU server.

I don't think we will ever see a mode coax connector n tvs, and frankly, don't think we should. To many people would not understand it and think its for an antenna. Ethernet port with a small adapter in some case is a fine solution. Was kind of my point. No one really cares about a small box behind their tv they don't have to see.

#167 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ethernet port with a small adapter in some case is a fine solution. Was kind of my point. No one really cares about a small box behind their tv they don't have to see.

How about doing it with no adapter? If they include both Ethernet and Wi-fi but not MoCA, that is a strong statement.

We've seen solutions that used HomePlug and MoCA and all the while Ethernet remains the one constant.

#168 OFFLINE   c141heaven

c141heaven

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Samsung support won't provide any information on software updates but they provided the following information via their support chat today on 2012 TVs that (can?) support RVU:

"The 2012 models that support the RVU are UN**EH5300 and the series from UN**ES6100 to UN**ES8000."

This list is different from what the one in the old thread.

I just bought a UN46ES6150F .... are you saying that at some (as yet undefined) point in the future Samsung plans to update the firmware to allow it to perform the RVU functionality?

#169 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

New install on the 21 no grey screen problems yet in fact works better than expected can do mrv from a hr24 so that software problem must have been fixed too
The only thing I have found is when trying to view a recording from the 24 on the c31 made from the am21 ota channel it a black screen the program runs if you go to the 35 or the 24 its been advance if any has in ideas would appreciate hearing them.

That's a problem that's been around for awhile. If you need to view an OTA recording on the C31 then you need to record it on the HR34 and not the HR24.

Just a note that the latest software fix this I now can access ota from the client
great job DTV

#170 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

So it looks like some folks are seeing a C31 software upgrade to level 0x070E.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#171 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

0x70e and a hang... RBR on C31 required.

Sorry for bad phone picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2.JPG

#172 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I have heard from a good source at DIRECTV that the EH5300 series of Samsung Smart TV's currently are not supported for RVU. The message that is displayed about the location not being authorized is due to the model number of the TV not being in a list that is kept in the HR34 of valid TV RVU clients, if it's not in the list you'll get the message. Doesn't matter how you are connected, DECA or ethernet, or if you have an available RVU client license on your account. Nothing that you do on your end or the CSR's end can get it working at this time. If you check http://www.rvualliance.org/products you'll see the EH5300 series hasn't even been certified yet by the RVU Alliance. Hopefully it won't take that long to be corrected but based on the past speed of Samsung concerning RVU if you need it now on a EH5300 series TV I think I'd be looking for an alternative means to get DIRECTV on that set, IMHO.

Just to update this post. The person I was in contact with at DIRECTV confirms that the EH5300 series will NOT be supporting RVU, even though it's a Smart TV. I also got a response from Samsung that also now says

There are some models now and some in the future that do have this feature that is similar to the Direct TV DVR. We are sorry, but your TV does not have this function.

Guess I'm taking my UN40EH5300 back.

#173 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Can someone confirm from their experience if I buy a UN55ES7100 it will work as an RVU client with my HR34?

#174 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Can someone confirm from their experience if I buy a UN55ES7100 it will work as an RVU client with my HR34?

Don't have that model but it is listed at http://www.rvualliance.org/products as being certified back in September. I have a ES6100 series and it does work with RVU to the HR34 if that helps.

#175 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

I am having issues with my C31's and 30 sec slip. Most of the time it behaves normally. I hit 5 times in a row to skip a block of commercials. However, occasionally it's acting like the skip ahead (sorry for not recalling the proper terminology), where it jumps to the 15 tick. And since I hit it 5 times, it usually is jumping to the end of the show.

I currently have 0x70e on my C31's.

#176 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

0x70e and a hang... RBR on C31 required.

I'm still seeing these hangs about once a week.

Last one hung the HR34 as well.

#177 OFFLINE   mdpeterman

mdpeterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I just setup my first Samsung RVU TV last night. All is working great, no delays in fast forward or anything else but I do have one issue I would like to see if someone has addressed. Is there a discrete IR code to switch the Samsung TV to RVU? The TV is controlled by an automation system, and the system uses discrete IR codes to change input based on source. I have codes for HDMI 1-4, component, composite, but I have found nothing for RVU. Of course the problem is there isn't a set number of "source" presses to get to RVU since the TV may be on any number of inputs.
Thanks for your help!

#178 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

These are all problems with the RVU client on a Samsung UN40ES6100 running 01025 software.

· Paired with an HR34-700, running 0x0677 software, and selected a recording from a HR24-500 to play on the UN40ES6100. Program started to play but it looked like the frame rate was off or frames were being dropped, it had a bad stutter to the video. I exited the playback and when I went back to live TV, CNBC, the problem continued there, very noticeable in the stock ticker. Sent report 20130128-2DBC

· Paired with HR34-700, running 0x0678 software, and is connected via DECA-BB to the network. Sent report 20130130-35DC which is for the following items:

o Turned on TV and got the “This location is not authorized” message, it eventually went away though. Hadn’t seen this for awhile, but this was the first time I had the client on since a reboot of the H34.

o Started playback of a recording from the HR34 and shortly after it started there was a pause for a couple seconds.

o 30SKIP (did the keyword search for it, don’t like slip) is very slow to complete compared to a C31/C41

o After exiting the recording playback the live TV channel now has audio drops. Sent the report at this point.

o I made a short video of these occurances and put it on YouTube, viewable only via the link, , so you can see what I’m seeing if that helps.

· Was watching live TV and I wanted to go back to the beginning of the program. First hit << to get to REW 1 and then the skip back button to get to the first tick mark, once there hit it again to get to the beginning of the program. At that point video/audio stopped, tried hitting play but still paused/frozen, generated report 20130130-2B01, this was paired to HR34-700 running 0x0678 software.

#179 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

FYI, happened to try a software upgrade on my UN40ES6100 and it found level 001027 and installed it. Only played with the RVU a bit but a couple issues I've noted in the past like frame rate issues or pausing video/dropped audio, haven't happened so far.

#180 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I tried the RVU in my ES6100 and switched back to using the C31.

First of all the audio/video was going out of sync often.
Secondly I did this on my own, so I didn't get the RC70 remote.

I think for the next wall mounted TV in my home office that I'm going to buy a RVU TV and go that route. But I'll set up an install so I can get the RC70x remote. Any way other than DirecTV to get that remote? Or can I just call them and say I want to swap one of the C31s for RVU and then get a RC70 remote that way?

The lack of the discrete code for the source is also a problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...