Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

capability of the H25-700 with the Phase 3 lbn 18 x 20 dish

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

Your information is wrong.

I blame WeaKnees:

What are the requirements for using a SWM8?

There are two basic requirements: (1) you need a compatible dish, and (2) you need SWM-compatible receivers.

The only SWM-compatible dishes are the 5LNB dish (both slimline, and regular, both AT9 and AU9) and the slimline 3LNB from DIRECTV.

http://www.swm8.com/swm-faq.php

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

i picked up this LBN below as well as a SWM Power INserter....this will do the trick?

Slimline SL3S4NR2-14 LNB

Only after you perform some modifications to the LNB as carl6 mentioned above. It is NOT trivial and requires doing some math on the elevation (probably only once in your case).

http://www.dbstalk.c...light=Phase III

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#23 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

One note about using a SWM LNB, if you are trying to get HD reception:

Using a "satellite finder from Radio Shack" is tricky, since it will lock only onto the 101 Ku signal. The Ka beam width (which carries the HD signals) is much narrower than the Ku beam. You can have an excellent Ku reading and still have poor Ka. You should watch the YouTube videos on aligning a Ka/Ku dish before attempting it.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure an old style "satellite finder" will work with a SWM LNB at all.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#24 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

i picked up this LBN below as well as a SWM Power INserter....this will do the trick?

Slimline SL3S4NR2-14 LNB

DirecTV Slimline GREEN SWiM LNB SL3S4NR2-14 SL3 LNB SWiM Satellite Slim HD LNBF ( Lastest One on the Market )

Capable of receiving DIRECTV satellite signals on the Ku/Ka band (99°, 101°, and 103° Satellites).
One output carries satellite signal from Three satellites
This LNB has 1 output for the new Slimline dish from DIRECTV.

Yes, this is just fine.

When you hook this up, be sure to hook up the cable from the dish to the power inserter, cable from power inserter to the receiver, then plug in the power inserter and lastly plug in the power to the receiver.

Your receiver should automatically set up the right dish and now you just have to aim it correctly.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   stick

stick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

well after hours of pulling my hair out im pretty sure its confirmed that my Satillite finder from Radio shack does not detect the HD signal.....i get nothing....
To confirm, i have my Phase III dish with SL3 SWM LBN....going to a Power Inserter then to my HD receiver.....it doesnt pick up any signal....it it impossible to align them without a satillite finder>? should i buy one online that picks up HD signals?.....so close, but yet so far away :( any thoughts that may help me get this working?

#26 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

You can use your receiver's signal strength screen.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#27 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

You can use your receiver's signal strength screen.

This is what I would recommend. You can get signal meters that read SWM and from the Ka satellites, but they're expensive. Solid Signal has some if you REALLY want one http://www.solidsign...(SUPERBUDDY-29) http://www.solidsign...ku=610370580820

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

This is how I aligned the 3 dishes that I worked with.

Go to dishpointer.com and type in your address,
Go to the panel below, scroll way down to multi sat and choose the DirecTV 99, 101 and 103 dish.
go back up next to your address and click the go button.
Look at and write down the readings and take a look at the green line. On the right hand side of the page is a check box to check for obstructions. Click on it and see if you have any.

Set the Skew / Twist on the dish and forget it.

Set the elevation on the dish. Make sure you are using the right markers on the hardware for this alignment.

Move the dish in the azimuth / east and west movement about 10 degrees too far to the east from what the dispointer told you to set it for.

Ditch the meter.

Have someone look at the signal strengths on the screen for the 101 and relay the reading to you while you slowly rotate the dish to the west.
When you get a signal move it very slowly and stop each move to let it lock in on the signal.
When you get that as good as you can. Then adjust the elevation very slightly and go up and down ( do the dither in the video that Titan25 had you watch ).
Go back to the east and west movement and dither it.
Now check the 99c and the 103ca. They should be good also.

Remember, you are aiming at something thousands of miles away.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Have someone look at the signal strengths on the screen for the 101 and relay the reading to you while you slowly rotate the dish to the west.

Want to emphasize, go slow. It's very easy to go right past the signal point without ever seeing it if you are moving too fast.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Set the elevation on the dish. Make sure you are using the right markers on the hardware for this alignment.

One must keep in mind that the elevation for the Phase III dish must be offset for the Ka/Ku LNB. Failure to do so will lead to unimaginable frustration.

#31 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

One must keep in mind that the elevation for the Phase III dish must be offset for the Ka/Ku LNB. Failure to do so will lead to unimaginable frustration.

????
The Phase III 3-LNB dish does not have a "Ka/Ku LNB". Aiming coordinates are easily obtained from http://www.dishpointer.com.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

????
The Phase III 3-LNB dish does not have a "Ka/Ku LNB". Aiming coordinates are easily obtained from http://www.dishpointer.com.

If you look around post #12, the OP was contemplating retrofitting the dish with a SWiM LNB. If that were the case, there would be an offset in the elevation as determined by experimentation and documented in the Phase III Ka/Ku thread.

#33 OFFLINE   stick

stick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

yes, i put the SL3 LBN on the Phase III dish.....dish pointer says Elevation 37.8, Azim (Mag) 209.4 and Skew 73.3......now do i have to do calculations to get my Eleveation Offset or does Dish Pointer calculate that for you?

#34 OFFLINE   stick

stick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

when i go to the 101 signal strength meter, what trasponder number to i set it to or do i try them all?

This is how I aligned the 3 dishes that I worked with.

Go to dishpointer.com and type in your address,
Go to the panel below, scroll way down to multi sat and choose the DirecTV 99, 101 and 103 dish.
go back up next to your address and click the go button.
Look at and write down the readings and take a look at the green line. On the right hand side of the page is a check box to check for obstructions. Click on it and see if you have any.

Set the Skew / Twist on the dish and forget it.

Move the dish in the azimuth / east and west movement about 10 degrees too far to the east from what the dispointer told you to set it for.

Ditch the meter.

When you get a signal move it very slowly and stop each move to let it lock in on the signal.
When you get that as good as you can. Then adjust the elevation very slightly and go up and down ( do the dither in the video that Titan25 had you watch ).
Go back to the east and west movement and dither it.
Now check the 99c and the 103ca. They should be good also.

Remember, you are aiming at something thousands of miles away.

#35 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I used the full screen ( all transponders ) .
You should get several that are 100 or close to it when you are right on it.

#36 OFFLINE   opelap

opelap

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Have this combination for TV in my camper. Never had to "calculate" elevation.

Set it to the elevation from dishpointer or the reciever and sweep for signal. i do have to fine tune the elevation to get the best signals across all 3 satellites, but can always catch the 101 using the recommended elevation.

spam firewall