Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Computer & Disk Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

I just got a new computer for school (Toshiba Portege Z935-P300). It has an SSD, not mechanical drive at all. I take it I don't want to install ANY disk defragmentation software right? What about TRIM? How do I go about dealing with that? It's running Windows 7

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

I just got a new computer for school (Toshiba Portege Z935-P300). It has an SSD, not mechanical drive at all. I take it I don't want to install ANY disk defragmentation software right? What about TRIM? How do I go about dealing with that? It's running Windows 7

If you are running Windows 7 or newer, there is nothing you need to do other than make sure your system is up to date. Check the firmware for your SSD drive and bios to make sure they are up to date and ensure your storage driver is up to date.

Defrag utilities are not needed at all. Windows 7 will turn off indexing and Defrag by default when it detects a SSD drive. Windows 7 also supports TRIM natively, assuming your SSD firmware has it baked in.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'd also make sure the system and drive has the latest firmware and such.

Also, from a command prompt, enter the command fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify (the last is run together on purpose)

You should get a result of 0. That confirms that Windows is treating it as an SSD.

#4 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,894 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Take a look at System Mechanic Professional. It has a SSD Accelerator tool that optimizes your SSD for maximum performence.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...