Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Saving short clips of DVR recordings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnasmith

johnasmith

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I recorded the entire GOP convention then it occurred to me how nice it would be to be able to save just the speeches I liked. That would be a great feature for a DVR, to allow video clips to be saved.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I agree ... it would be very nice if we could edit programs to produce multiple sourced recordings ... but I can just see the lawyers licking their lips. :facelick:

We might have to wait a while.:(
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

It's not terrible expensive to get a video capture card for a PC. You could take the output of the DVR (e.g. RCA to TV2) and capture the video on a PC. Then you can edit to your heart's content.

On the other hand, it would be great to set a start and stop point in a recording and edit it. A few years ago I recorded a PG-13 off Cinemax. The DVR had its usual -3 munite padding on the start time. Imagine the shock when I played the movie and the previous show was a Skinemax special! I wish I could have edited that!

#4 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Yes this is one of the features I really miss from my TiVo. With TiVo you could get an access key for your PC that allowed you to download the content from the TiVo to your PC and edit it. You could even burn it to a DVD afterwards. As I remember it worked with a version of Creative's video editing software.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's not terrible expensive to get a video capture card for a PC. You could take the output of the DVR (e.g. RCA to TV2) and capture the video on a PC. Then you can edit to your heart's content.

On the other hand, it would be great to set a start and stop point in a recording and edit it. A few years ago I recorded a PG-13 off Cinemax. The DVR had its usual -3 munite padding on the start time. Imagine the shock when I played the movie and the previous show was a Skinemax special! I wish I could have edited that!

I can understand your shock. :lol:

With my PC being upstairs in my office and the DVR downstairs connected to the TV in the Living Room, your suggestion - as good as it is - lacks a certain ... convenience. ;)

In the old days, I could do editing and titleing right there with the VCR and some video gear.

Maybe the "old days" weren't so kludgy after all. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   global_nomad

global_nomad

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

I like watching live tv on my ipad app then I can pause and take a screenshot of funny things.

#7 OFFLINE   zinger1457

zinger1457

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

One of the features that the DirecTV receivers have that I wish Dish had is the ability to set bookmarks in your recordings. Not exactly what your looking for but you can set multiple bookmarks in a recording and just skip from one bookmark to the next.

#8 OFFLINE   mcutler

mcutler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Why not just record the parts you want to a DVD?

#9 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

I use the component out to an Hauppauge HD PVR & record on a Mac mini using EyeTV 3. I can then edit the recordings & export them in any of several formats for view or saving.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...