Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free movie offer is lame

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

How is any one going to bitch about something being free??? No matter how difficult or tedious it is to get your money back or a credit. Just unreal. Stop complaining. If you don't like what you have to do to get the credit then just move on. Some of you just love to complain about every little thing. Get a freaking life.

Maybe we'd just like to feel like people and not circus animals? If you want to throw us a freebie now and then - then do it. We dont need to jump through the hoop or balance a ball on our nose to get it. I think that is all people are complaining about.

That said, there comes a time that "no matter how difficult or tedious" becomes more costly than the $5-$10 you might save.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Maybe we'd just like to feel like people and not circus animals? If you want to throw us a freebie now and then - then do it. We dont need to jump through the hoop or balance a ball on our nose to get it. I think that is all people are complaining about.

That said, there comes a time that "no matter how difficult or tedious" becomes more costly than the $5-$10 you might save.

I fill one out every month or two, it takes all of 45 seconds and that includes putting the address and stamp on the envelope. For me it's a welcome freebie, yes I know I pay for the envelope and stamp but it's still worth it.

If it made me feel like less of a person or a circus animal I just wouldn't do it but I already own stamps and envelopes so it's not a big deal.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#23 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

I would love for DIRECTV to send me coupons for free PPV/On Demand movies so I could join the circus act!!! ;)

#24 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Check at the bottom of your online statement, sometimes it says when they will do it.

#25 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

I fill one out every month or two, it takes all of 45 seconds and that includes putting the address and stamp on the envelope. For me it's a welcome freebie, yes I know I pay for the envelope and stamp but it's still worth it.

If it made me feel like less of a person or a circus animal I just wouldn't do it but I already own stamps and envelopes so it's not a big deal.

Yup, I hear ya. I was just playing devil's advocate.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Scott, I looked back at several months of my e-statements and couldn't find anything about free movies except for my 8/2/12 statement. That one promoted a $5.99 credit for an on demand movie, but referred me to directv.com/entertainment for details, and of course, there was nothing there relating to a free movie. :P

I'll keep my eyes open for more promos though...

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

How is any one going to bitch about something being free??? No matter how difficult or tedious it is to get your money back or a credit. Just unreal. Stop complaining. If you don't like what you have to do to get the credit then just move on. Some of you just love to complain about every little thing. Get a freaking life.

Come on. How much of your time is 4 bucks worth. I never go to a mailbox so tht in itself is extra work. Keeping the papers available is extra work. Then you send it in and hope and pray it gets there and processed. If you aren't just playing a lottery, then you have to monitor your bill to see which ones show up so that means extra monitoring of our bill and keeping records for each coupon sent in.

That is not free. I see my time being used and extra record keeping rather than just a "your next movie is free" and the system taking cre of it. Just like Amazon dies with credits or Redbox does automatically when they run a 2 for 1 weekend.

The system directv follows is he rebate system which is set up generally figuring people will buy based on the promise but not follow through at some point. It is an insult to the customer and is not free.

Imagine getting a coupon at the grocery store for a sale on canned corn but the coupon is not honored at the checkout. You have to buy the corn then mail the coupon to Del Monte. It is the same.

I and many more will not buy at all rather than play that game.

So it is dumb business as they would sell more impulse movies if easy.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Come on. How much of your time is 4 bucks worth. I never go to a mailbox so tht in itself is extra work. Keeping the papers available is extra work. Then you send it in and hope and pray it gets there and processed. If you aren't just playing a lottery, then you have to monitor your bill to see which ones show up so that means extra monitoring of our bill and keeping records for each coupon sent in.

That is not free. I see my time being used and extra record keeping rather than just a "your next movie is free" and the system taking cre of it. Just like Amazon dies with credits or Redbox does automatically when they run a 2 for 1 weekend.

The system directv follows is he rebate system which is set up generally figuring people will buy based on the promise but not follow through at some point. It is an insult to the customer and is not free.

Imagine getting a coupon at the grocery store for a sale on canned corn but the coupon is not honored at the checkout. You have to buy the corn then mail the coupon to Del Monte. It is the same.

I and many more will not buy at all rather than play that game.

So it is dumb business as they would sell more impulse movies if easy.

Good points Tony. It just seems to me it would be a nice gesture by DTV to just offer you a credit for a movie and then set a time limit before the offer expired. They could make it for a week or even for a weekend. It would be similar to the offers they make that let you watch premium services that you don't have. This generally lasts for 3 or 4 days. There's no billing involved and no hassle for the customer. The rebate system is just unnecessary and inconvenient. Furthermore, I don't see how charging 5 bucks for a movie can be sustained much longer anyway when you consider that for 3 more dollars per month with Netflix you can watch as many movies as you want.

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

It would be nice if it were automatic, but I know companies love mailin rebates. Bought a TV once that had a free delivery, after mailin rebate. Couldn't get the fee waived from the start, but they offered me a "$100" Monster cable. That opened my eyes on several fronts.

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

It would be nice if it were automatic, but I know companies love mailin rebates. Bought a TV once that had a free delivery, after mailin rebate. Couldn't get the fee waived from the start, but they offered me a "$100" Monster cable. That opened my eyes on several fronts.

And they love them because there is a low return rate. They actually cost more to process than an automated system. That in itself tells you why they love them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#31 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Scott, I looked back at several months of my e-statements and couldn't find anything about free movies except for my 8/2/12 statement. That one promoted a $5.99 credit for an on demand movie, but referred me to directv.com/entertainment for details, and of course, there was nothing there relating to a free movie. :P

I'll keep my eyes open for more promos though...

The way it works, at least for me is you watch a movie within the time period listed and then a rebate form shows up on the mail. Keep an eye for it because the envelope it comes in is a little different than the other DIRECTV mailings.

Sometimes there are offers on the DIRECTV website too. You will also be paying for the movie before you get the rebate and then the credit will be on the next statement.

Personally $5.99 for a movie is worth the convenience and to top it off I don't have another monthly fee like Netflix, some months we don't watch any movies so it's probably cheaper to pay as we watch the PPV's.

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

The way it works, at least for me is you watch a movie within the time period listed and then a rebate form shows up on the mail. Keep an eye for it because the envelope it comes in is a little different than the other DIRECTV mailings.

Sometimes there are offers on the DIRECTV website too. You will also be paying for the movie before you get the rebate and then the credit will be on the next statement.

Personally $5.99 for a movie is worth the convenience and to top it off I don't have another monthly fee like Netflix, some months we don't watch any movies so it's probably cheaper to pay as we watch the PPV's.

That's even worse than I thought. That is playing the lottery.

#33 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

That's even worse than I thought. That is playing the lottery.

How? It works every time.

#34 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

How? It works every time.

Until it doesn't.

You don't even know if you are getting a coupon when you order. That is a lottery.

#35 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Until it doesn't.

You don't even know if you are getting a coupon when you order. That is a lottery.

Ok, so you won't use it. I guess that leaves more for everyone else.

#36 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Scott. I ordered the $5.99 movie (Lorax) on 8/31 and watched it the same day, the last day of the offer, so I'll check the mail for the postcard/envelope...

Thanks!

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Ok, so you won't use it. I guess that leaves more for everyone else.

That's not the point. Directv would sell more if they made it easier.

#38 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

does DirecTV incudes an SASE (Self Address Stamp Envelope) or does one have to pay for the mailing of the coupon. Then that would make the movie not completely free! :rotfl:

What's funny is that they don't even put the return address for the rebate on the coupon!
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#39 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

What's funny is that they don't even put the return address for the rebate on the coupon!

It has always been on every rebate form that they have ever sent me.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#40 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

It has always been on every rebate form that they have ever sent me.

I've had to call them several times to get the address.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

Protected By... spam firewall...And...