Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Conference Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

It seems to me that if DTV/NFL can figure out how to black out channel 715 in the Tampa market they could also figure out how to not have the Tampa/Carolina game shown on the NFL Game Mix Channel that would be broadcast to the Tampa Market but still leave the game on for the rest of the NFL Game Mix market.

With the current technology the only way they could do that is to have 2 Game Mix channels, one for TB (No TB/CAR), and one for everyone else (includes TB/CAR). I just don't think Directv sees any advantage to doing that, even if we would enjoy it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

It seems to me that if DTV/NFL can figure out how to black out channel 715 in the Tampa market they could also figure out how to not have the Tampa/Carolina game shown on the NFL Game Mix Channel that would be broadcast to the Tampa Market but still leave the game on for the rest of the NFL Game Mix market.

No. They can't. The mix channel is just a regular channel with up to 8 games on it. They cannot black out a piece of it anymore than they can blackout the espn ticker on espn. The technology does not exist.

Besides, often there are enough games to go on the channel anyway.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   crawfordtexas

crawfordtexas

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

thanks!

#24 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Two things:

1. Previous years format (landscape/team names AND logos) was better (both my opinion AND all of the other DTV/ST subs in my cul-de-sac).

2. Win/Loss record not updated in Wk2, oversight?

#25 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Two things:

1. Previous years format (landscape/team names AND logos) was better (both my opinion AND all of the other DTV/ST subs in my cul-de-sac).

2. Win/Loss record not updated in Wk2, oversight?

As you guessed - I have created some automated software to crank out the schedules each week. There is some significant coding time invested in changing formats and layouts - not to mention the bugs and errors I create along the way. So if you will forgive me, I am going to hang in for a while yet and see what the overall feedback is. Last year, the requests/suggestions were to use larger team logos and not to waste geography on the sheet duplicating information.

The schedule has been an evolution:
2007 through 2010 the format was City + Moniker + Icon
for 2011 the format was Moniker + Icon
for 2012 the format was simply Icon

There is no 'right' answer. I would simply like to please the greatest number of folks. And I would be proud to properly represent your cul-de-sac. (Hopefully, you are using the Adobe ability to fill in your local CBS, FOX and NBC station numbers.)

And for question 2: As you also guessed -- yeah, the dummy forget to plug in the Win/Loss info. There is a new, fresh schedule with W/L now.

Thanks very much for the feedback and input!

#26 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Big reason why the city/moniker rather than simply the 'logo' is that a lot of folks (including two of my neighbors) can't easily identify the logo being color-blind and/or vision impaired (half, like me, are retired).

Something to think about when you're designing things.

#27 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yet another error...

I have the Carolina Panthers listed as 1-0 win/loss. However, since they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week, they are actually 0-1.

Sorry
:(

Edited by gct, 12 September 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Wow Los Angeles gets stuck with 0-2 Raiders instead of 2-0 Atlanta @ 2-0 San Diego.
Glad I have the ticket. And thanks gct for inserting the moniker names. Chart prints out very nice looking.
Actually the chart has 706 as fox game but guide has 714. The maps are not up yet. Stay tuned.

Edited by kikkenit2, 18 September 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Wow Los Angeles gets stuck with 0-2 Raiders instead of 2-0 Atlanta @ 2-0 San Diego.
Glad I have the ticket. And thanks gct for inserting the moniker names. Chart prints out very nice looking.
Actually the chart has 706 as fox game but guide has 714. The maps are not up yet. Stay tuned.

Something is awry. I just checked titantv.com (a key resource for me) and they show FOX-LA Chl 11 carrying the 49ers/Vikings as the Sunday late game. Problem is, the 49ers/Vikings game is a Sunday early game. The DIRECTV schedule and the NFL schedule concur with the schedule I have posted.

Perhaps a change of time is in the works? And yes, I have had many cases where the DIRECTV website schedule and the DIRECTV Channel Guide did not agree.

It will be interesting to see what the TV Distribution Maps show when they are posted tomorrow night.

#30 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Well, things are still a bit mucked for the Los Angeles schedule. The TV Distribution Maps show the CBS early game as Jaguars @ Colts. But TitanTV shows that CBS early game as Chiefs @ Saints.

It seems the networks do some last minute jockeying and leave the rest of the scheduling folks lost in the dust.

Wish I could say that the Guide is the most reliable source -- but noooo.

:)

#31 OFFLINE   scirica

scirica

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

(Hopefully, you are using the Adobe ability to fill in your local CBS, FOX and NBC station numbers.)

Definitely first thing I thought of when I saw this format. Put my local in the box while on my screen so I know what's National and what's Directv ST. Very nice!

#32 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

The league's blackout rules are causing issues with the late games again. Steelers-Raiders blacked out as it is supposed to be on my local CBS station, but my local CBS station is showing an overtime game (that wasn't even the original game on my CBS station).

Somebody is asleep at the switch, or they've decided they don't care.

With today's technology and the way Directv can now insert local commercials into national channels, are blackouts really necessary anymore?

In fact, Directv could insert local commercials into every NFL Sunday Ticket game (the same local commercials that would air in the game I "could" be watching if I didn't have Sunday Ticket).

#33 OFFLINE   ttubbiola

ttubbiola

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

What I can't figure out is why the hell the San Diego game is blacked out in Orange County. We are NOT in any way part of the same metro area.

#34 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

What I can't figure out is why the hell the San Diego game is blacked out in Orange County. We are NOT in any way part of the same metro area.

i cant watch anything right now

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#35 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

The league's blackout rules are causing issues with the late games again. Steelers-Raiders blacked out as it is supposed to be on my local CBS station, but my local CBS station is showing an overtime game (that wasn't even the original game on my CBS station).

With today's technology and the way Directv can now insert local commercials into national channels, are blackouts really necessary anymore?

In fact, Directv could insert local commercials into every NFL Sunday Ticket game (the same local commercials that would air in the game I "could" be watching if I didn't have Sunday Ticket).

Yes, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Missed a whole quarter of football because they show TWO overtime games that weren't even the original games on the Harrisburg, PA (YES THE CAPITAL OF PENNSYLVANIA) CBS station. How the hell the state capital CBS station isn't forced to show the Steelers game when they are on the road yet they ARE forced to show the Ravens game when they are on the road is beyond me. NFL wake up this is PA and this is 2012.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#36 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Sadly, the NFL does not agree with you.

http://www.opposingv...atlanta-falcons

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

It is not the commercials themselves. It is the ratings. Even if you see your channels commercial on a distant station, you are still not watching the station.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Missed a whole quarter of football because they show TWO overtime games that weren't even the original games on the Harrisburg, PA (YES THE CAPITAL OF PENNSYLVANIA) CBS station. How the hell the state capital CBS station isn't forced to show the Steelers game when they are on the road yet they ARE forced to show the Ravens game when they are on the road is beyond me. NFL wake up this is PA and this is 2012.

You do realize that Baltimore is 2 hours closer to Harrisburg than Pittsburgh is and that the Harrisburg stations reach to the Maryland border which is just 30 miles from Baltimore. States have nothing to do with it. No law says you have to root for a team in state over one that is not. And I have no idea what the year has to do with it. In fact, the opposite, York, covered by Harrisburg tv, is practically a Baltimore suburb as it has grown in a lot.

#39 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

If the game doesn't sell out at the stadium, why not at least offer the game as a PPV option for those that still want to watch and may live too far away?

#40 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

You do realize that Baltimore is 2 hours closer to Harrisburg than Pittsburgh is and that the Harrisburg stations reach to the Maryland border which is just 30 miles from Baltimore. States have nothing to do with it. No law says you have to root for a team in state over one that is not. And I have no idea what the year has to do with it. In fact, the opposite, York, covered by Harrisburg tv, is practically a Baltimore suburb as it has grown in a lot.

You do realized the Harrisburg CBS station has taken numerous polls and the Steelers are the team that most people want to watch in the capital city of Pennsylvania. The NFL forces the Ravens down their throats with forcing the station to show the Ravens when they are on the road. WHP 21 WANTS to show the Steeler games, which is why they Steelers are always on if they are playing at the same time as Baltimore and Baltimore is home. The state capital of Pennsylvania should not be forced to show a team from Ohio. Just look at the CBS 21 WHP facebook page. They post an apology today because they know most viewers in the capital region want to watch the Steelers, the Pennsylvania team.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

spam firewall