Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL Conference Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   scirica

scirica

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

So the 49ers get the prime time game for the 2nd week in a row, while other match-ups get ignored? The oldest rivalry in the NFL, the Packers @ Bears, which is a bigger game than the 49ers and Seahawks, would seem to be a bigger game. I'd bet the farm that its ratings would blow away the 49ers-Seahawks, too.

I'd be fine with flexing the Packers/Bears to Sunday night on the 16th. Niners/Seahawks on the 23rd is a bigger game for both of those teams and could be deciding the division championship.

Is the 16th the published schedule or did it get flexed? I'm thinking it is the original.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I think the 16th is the original schedule and was not flexed.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#63 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'd be fine with flexing the Packers/Bears to Sunday night on the 16th. Niners/Seahawks on the 23rd is a bigger game for both of those teams and could be deciding the division championship.

Is the 16th the published schedule or did it get flexed? I'm thinking it is the original.

Week 15, which includes Sunday, 12/16, is the original schedule; no changes in game times were made and flex scheduling was not exercised.

#64 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

They couldnt flex in gb/chi because the scheduled game is sf/ne & there is no way that would have been flexed.

Only what are considered bad games get flexed out.

#65 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Even more complicated than that. Networks could protect some games to not be flexed to night at the beginning of the season and there are team limits for night games per year.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#66 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

(this is lifted from www.the506.com website - the source for our 'NFL TV Distribution Maps')

National Broadcasts

• NBC, ESPN and NFL Network are deemed the national primetime broadcasters for NFL games, as all their games air to 100% of the country. (The NFL Network's cable carriage woes are irrelevant to this discussion.) Although CBS and FOX sometimes air games that also go to the entire country (such as Thanksgiving), they do not play into this section.
  • Most teams can air in primetime a maximum of 5 times a year, a maximum of 3 of which can be on NBC. The Thursday Night game in Week 1 with the defending Super Bowl champion counts toward this total.
  • Three teams can air 6 times a year. These teams are not pre-determined, they just depend on how the schedule is drawn up.
  • ESPN and NFL Network games are also simulcast on an over-the-air station in the primary markets of the two teams only. Stations in secondary and other markets are not allowed to air these games, even if the NFL Network is not widely available in the market.
  • There is no restriction on having both games of a divisional rivalry air on NBC, although it is rare. The only modern example is Cowboys-Giants in 2011.
Flex Scheduling

• Between weeks 11 and 16, the scheduled (or "pencilled-in") NBC Sunday Night game may be replaced with a "flex" game, depending on competitiveness or ratings concerns. It is the NFL and not NBC that makes the decision to flex a game. The decision is made at least 12 days in advance, and the limits on national broadcasts described above are still in effect. The NFL may also simply decide to make the originally scheduled game official. (Note: in 2011, as Christmas falls on a Sunday and most games are on Christmas Eve instead, flex scheduling does not apply to week 16.)
  • In week 17, the NBC game is determined only one week in advance (and usually first announced during the week 16 Sunday Night game), and no game is pencilled in on the original schedule.
  • CBS and FOX can each protect five games between weeks 11 and 16 from being flexed to Sunday night. Their decisions are made after week 6. They cannot protect any week 17 games.
  • CBS and FOX games may also switch timeslots with 12 days notice (or 6 in week 17) for ratings concerns. These may or may not be called a "flex" depending on who you talk to.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks. Couldn't remember any details and not home to look it up.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#68 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Even more complicated than that. Networks could protect some games to not be flexed to night at the beginning of the season and there are team limits for night games per year.

Correct.

But to quote Firemarshal Bill "Lets just say" for some insane reason the 49ers were 4-9 & patriots 5-8 then that packers/bears game wouldve been eligible for flexin.

Reason being fox had chosen to protect giants/falcons in that week 15 & it wouldve given the packers & bears 6 primetime games which since they would be the 1st 2 teams of possible 3 to hit that quota # it wouldve been ok to do.

Hey remember when FM Bill was on an "in living color" special during the super bowl halftime & another skit was the 2 guys selling a huge sat dish.
"I hear sirens so you know what that means, we be changin location !!"

Those were good skits.

#69 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

wouldn't suprise me if cowboys/redskins is the sunday night game for week 17 for the nfc east crown
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#70 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

wouldn't suprise me if cowboys/redskins is the sunday night game for week 17 for the nfc east crown

More likely playing for a wildcard. The Indianapolis/Houston game is the other top choice.
Week 15 has 7 games between winning/or tied(Rams) teams.
Week 16 only 4 and week 17 has 5 games between winning teams.

#71 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

RE: the Week 17 NBC game

If any game has GUARANTEED, important playoff implications, no matter what happens in the rest of the games, it will be selected.

If there isn't any game like that, they will pick the game that is most likely to have implications.

It's really too early to know which game will be selected. That's why it's on a six-day selection window (announced on 12/24).

#72 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

i got a strong feeling week 17 nbc game will be dallas/washington for the nfc east crown as i see new york going on a slide these last few weeks
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#73 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

i got a strong feeling week 17 nbc game will be dallas/washington for the nfc east crown as i see new york going on a slide these last few weeks

Yea well i'm a niner fan. Thought the same thing last year. Eli and Giants
are clutch this time of year. We still can't figure out punt returns...

More important to me is recording every game. Gct has the packers on the local
channel socal, but my guide and the 506 have the giants game. Come on FOX.

#74 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Yea well i'm a niner fan. Thought the same thing last year. Eli and Giants
are clutch this time of year. We still can't figure out punt returns...

More important to me is recording every game. Gct has the packers on the local
channel socal, but my guide and the 506 have the giants game. Come on FOX.

yea i'm a cowboys fan so i'm hoping the giants take that fall and news of bradshaw being out sunday vs atl is huge

#75 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

The Week 16 Schedules are now up.

In the Los Angeles sheet, note that CBS has not yet announced which game it will carry. Check the TV Distribution Maps later this week.

#76 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

The Week 16 Schedules are now up.

I just see week # 15 still.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#77 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I just see week # 15 still.

Sorry for the delay, got interrupted.....

#78 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Week 17 flexed game & start time changes for 2 others:

The NFL has confirmed that the Week 17 Cowboys-Redskins game has been flexed to Sunday Night Football on NBC on December 30. That decision was widely expected, as Cowboys-Redskins will determine the winner of the NFC East and is the biggest game of the final week of the season.

Two Sunday afternoon games were also moved to the later kickoff window: Dolphins-Patriots on CBS has been moved to a 4:25 p.m. Eastern kickoff, while Packers-Vikings on FOX has also been moved to a 4:25 p.m. Eastern kickoff.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

#79 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

This has been a wild and woolly December in the NFL.

The Packers, Seahawks, Falcons, and Patriots seem to the teams most primed for the playoffs right now...with a couple of sleepers out there perhaps coming into play.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#80 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

This has been a wild and woolly December in the NFL.

The Packers, Seahawks, Falcons, and Patriots seem to the teams most primed for the playoffs right now...with a couple of sleepers out there perhaps coming into play.

Falcons? How about Broncos. And Redskins. Both much hotter than the Falcons right now.

But, who knows, last week, we'd be saying Niners.

spam firewall