Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling Adapter for LAN Streaming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BetterOff

BetterOff

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

I wanted to see if someone could clear this up for me. I have a pair of 722k receivers at home. I recently moved the TV that was connected to TV2 of Receiver2 over to TV2 of Receiver1 for my son to watch shows in his room.

I have a PC in the room where the old TV was located with an extra monitor that would be great for viewing TV. I was originally planning to buy a PCI-E tuner card and just run the coax to my PC for SD viewing. After looking up some info on the Sling Adapter I thought that it might work for my purpose and maybe have better quality. However, my issue is that I'm confused over about whether I can stream locally or not with the Sling Adapter. I really don't intend to stream outside of my home or at least expect it to work well. I live in a rural area and the best internet connection I can receive is a max of 1Mbps and usually less than 512Kbps up and down on a normal day.

Would I still be able to stream my Dish to my TV with my connection limitations or would I be better off buying a tuner card?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

With the Sling Adapter and broadband or DSL connected to your receiver, you can stream to your local network.

You use your online login to connect to our servers for authentication but the system is intelligent enough to determine when you are streaming locally or over the Internet.

To answer your question, yes, you can stream on your home network with the Sling Adapter. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I wanted to see if someone could clear this up for me. I have a pair of 722k receivers at home. I recently moved the TV that was connected to TV2 of Receiver2 over to TV2 of Receiver1 for my son to watch shows in his room.

I have a PC in the room where the old TV was located with an extra monitor that would be great for viewing TV. I was originally planning to buy a PCI-E tuner card and just run the coax to my PC for SD viewing. After looking up some info on the Sling Adapter I thought that it might work for my purpose and maybe have better quality. However, my issue is that I'm confused over about whether I can stream locally or not with the Sling Adapter. I really don't intend to stream outside of my home or at least expect it to work well. I live in a rural area and the best internet connection I can receive is a max of 1Mbps and usually less than 512Kbps up and down on a normal day.

Would I still be able to stream my Dish to my TV with my connection limitations or would I be better off buying a tuner card?

#3 OFFLINE   BetterOff

BetterOff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

To answer your question, yes, you can stream on your home network with the Sling Adapter. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Excellent! Sounds like a Sling adapter order is in my future. Thanks for the quick response! :)

#4 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I like them well enough that I have BOTH a Sling Adapter (for TV 2) and a Slingbox Pro-HD (for TV 1) connected to my 722k!

#5 OFFLINE   global_nomad

global_nomad

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Excellent! Sounds like a Sling adapter order is in my future. Thanks for the quick response! :)

It worked great for me in the Middle East. It was very trippy to see California commercials in the middle of the dessert, but all of a sudden it has switched off. Its hard to troubleshoot from 8000 miles away!

spam firewall