Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WH DVR not working properly on HR34

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Also, the HR20-100 has a specific way that the DECA needs to be attached. Take a look at this thread and see if the DECA is attached in one of the two ways pictured.

"Wild guess", but do you mean: http://www.dbstalk.c...386&postcount=6 :lol:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

"Wild guess", but do you mean: http://www.dbstalk.c...386&postcount=6 :lol:

:lol:

I guess my Ctrl-V didn't work as well as I thought it did...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#23 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Thanks Merg,

I will give your suggestions a try and post the result, it will take a few days because I will have to wait to see whether the HR20 disappears after 6 hours.

Having a static IP address on a device that is in the middle of the DHCP range that your router uses is a definite way to have problems.

As for your setup, the device on the back of the HR20 is a DECA unit. The HR24 and HR34 have a DECA built-in, so they don't have one attached.

First thing to do, is to re-run the Network Setup on the HR20 and let it obtain an IP address via DHCP and not assign a static IP. That might resolve the issue.

Also, the HR20-100 has a specific way that the DECA needs to be attached. Take a look at this thread and see if the DECA is attached in one of the two ways pictured. If it is not, that is probably going to be your issue.

If the issue persists, we need to see if the issue is being caused by the router. In that case, you would unplug the PI (power inserter) from the CCK so that your receivers are not connected to your home network. You would then redo the Network Setup. The receivers will then use their internal IP address. After a little bit, the receivers should all see each other. If all works then without issue, we may need to look into going to static IP addresses for all your receivers as the router might be causing the issue.

- Merg

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thanks Merg,

I will give your suggestions a try and post the result, it will take a few days because I will have to wait to see whether the HR20 disappears after 6 hours.

Make sure you check out the photo from the link that I posted VOS posted to verify that the DECA is connected to your HR20 correctly.

- Merg

#25 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Make sure you check out the photo from the link that I posted VOS posted to verify that the DECA is connected to your HR20 correctly.

- Merg

That was the first thing I did. My connection looks like the second configuration with the splitter feeding the DECA and the filter. The DECA is black so I assume it is just a newer model.

Funny thing, I am now 14 hours since the last reboot of the HR20 and still going strong (knock on wood). The difference is that I reset my router earlier yesterday, before the reboot. I am thinking that your suspicion that the static IP address on the HR20 may be the culprit. I have a range of 50 addresses (100-149) in the DHCP reservation table. My HR20 is set to 120. I plan on watching the reservations as they approach 120 and confirm that the HR20 drops as it gets closer. I could just restrict the reservations to 100-119. I am also thinking I could manually reserve 120 in the table so the DHCP server doesn't attempt to reserve it. Or convert the HR20 to dynamic.

Again, thanks for your help.

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have a range of 50 addresses (100-149) in the DHCP reservation table. My HR20 is set to 120. I plan on watching the reservations as they approach 120 and confirm that the HR20 drops as it gets closer. I could just restrict the reservations to 100-119. I am also thinking I could manually reserve 120 in the table so the DHCP server doesn't attempt to reserve it. Or convert the HR20 to dynamic.

Again, thanks for your help.

Either resizing the DHCP range, using DHCP reservations, or switching over to DHCP for the HR20 should all work. You definitely do not want to keep a static IP address within the DHCP range. As for watching the assignments go up to 120, while it may seem that the DHCP server issues the IP addresses sequentially, you cannot count on that to happen either.

- Merg

#27 OFFLINE   lbweber

lbweber

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Merg,

I have not lost the HR20/100 for about a week. I changed the DHCP range to stop before the DVR with the static IP address. I lost the connection to the DVR within 4 hours, I reset the DVR and it has been going strong ever since.

I better solution would have been to convert all DVRs to a static IP address far away from DHCP range but that might introduce other hick-ups. Someday I might do that but for now all is quiet on the western front.

Thanks for the help.

#28 OFFLINE   wmacson

wmacson

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Merg,

I better solution would have been to convert all DVRs to a static IP address far away from DHCP range but that might introduce other hick-ups.

What is the DHCP range? I ask because I plan to assign a static ip address to my Nomad tonight and I would love to avoid that.

Thanks.

#29 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I just wanted to update everybody on the fix that Old School suggested to me to use to fix my Whole Home DVR problem. He suggested I disconnect my internet and reset all my HD DVRs.

I have done this and I have not had any HD DVRs drop off for over 3 weeks. So this work around does work.

For me this is OK since I rarely do VOD, but for others that use VOD, they need to look for another fix. Hopefully DirecTV will solve this internet connection problem in the future and I can reconnect my internet without my HD DVR dropping off every week or periodically.

Thanks for your help...........Old School. :)

#30 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I just wanted to update everybody on the fix that Old School suggested to me to use to fix my Whole Home DVR problem. He suggested I disconnect my internet and reset all my HD DVRs.

I have done this and I have not had any HD DVRs drop off for over 3 weeks. So this work around does work.

For me this is OK since I rarely do VOD, but for others that use VOD, they need to look for another fix. Hopefully DirecTV will solve this internet connection problem in the future and I can reconnect my internet without my HD DVR dropping off every week or periodically.

Thanks for your help...........Old School. :)

So now that you know it's related to your router and most likely the DHCP, you might try using static IP addresses that are outside the router's DHCP range.
I guess "I'm lucky" as my 2Wire router doesn't have any issues with DHCP and the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#31 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

What is the DHCP range? I ask because I plan to assign a static ip address to my Nomad tonight and I would love to avoid that.

Thanks.

The default DHCP range is dependent on your router. What do you have?

- Merg

#32 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

So now that you know it's related to your router and most likely the DHCP, you might try using static IP addresses that are outside the router's DHCP range.
I guess "I'm lucky" as my 2Wire router doesn't have any issues with DHCP and the receivers.

I am not quite sure how to do that with the static IP addresses. I was able to change my reservations to 7 days from every 24 hrs. That is what I tried before I did what you suggested about disconnecting the internet, but when I changed it to every 7 days, the DVRs still dropped off, they just took longer to drop off.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I am not quite sure how to do that with the static IP addresses. I was able to change my reservations to 7 days from every 24 hrs. That is what I tried before I did what you suggested about disconnecting the internet, but when I changed it to every 7 days, the DVRs still dropped off, they just took longer to drop off.

You should see where the DHCP range is. My 2Wire starts @ 192.168.1.64 ans goes to 192.168.1.254. The means anything below x.64 isn't part of the DHCP.
Each router is different and you may be able to change the start/stop.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall