Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* doesn't want boxes back

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

My trusty old HR20-700's hard drive finally bit the dust. Was replaced under the protection plan, and as long as I was at it, I had them roll a truck and upgrade me to SWM, Whole Home, and Cinema Connection Kit. Best deal I could talk them into was no equipment charge for the upgrade, and paid only installation ($50-something). To get this deal I had to order the whole home upgrade including two HD receivers I didn't want, then just have the installers put the two receivers back in the truck. Strange way to do it, but what the heck.

As the replacement receiver I received a new HR24-500 (much better looking on the equipment shelves). Anyway, the reason for the post: The installers did take the old HR20-700 away with them.

If the 20-700 was leased, it probably doesn't matter, but they should have left it with you. If it was owned, you should have kept it, that does matter as they are still easy to sell on eBay and CL.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 675 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

If the 20-700 was leased, it probably doesn't matter, but they should have left it with you. If it was owned, you should have kept it, that does matter as they are still easy to sell on eBay and CL.

No, it was leased, so when DirecTV's reps wanted to take it I figured it was their right.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#53 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Amazing. They don't want a box back they never should have made in the first place.... :lol:

Rich

Yes, but remember it was the only one that had the extra port for an off air antenna. Now you need an additional attachment( AM 21) to get the off air channels, which come in handy when D goes down......

#54 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

Yes, but remember it was the only one that had the extra port for an off air antenna. Now you need an additional attachment( AM 21) to get the off air channels, which come in handy when D goes down......

Rich was referring to the HR21, which did require a AM21 for off-air reception. Only the HR20 had a built in off-air receiver. The HR20 was a great unit. It was faster than the later units, until the advent of the HR24. We only replaced our HR20 a couple of weeks ago, mainly because we felt we were tempting fate to start over building up a collection of recordings on it.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#55 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Rich

No he should not have left it. If a tech replaces a receiver they are suppose to take the old one no matter what model it is. Just because it isnt refurbished doesnt mean some of the parts cant be recycled which is what they do with old outdated receivers and aslo DTV wants the access card back.

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

No he should not have left it. If a tech replaces a receiver they are suppose to take the old one no matter what model it is. Just because it isnt refurbished doesnt mean some of the parts cant be recycled which is what they do with old outdated receivers and aslo DTV wants the access card back.

One more time: D* IS NOT RECOVERING 20-700S OR 20-100S. CAN I MAKE THAT ANY CLEARER?

I think that's the closest I've come to a "rant" in quite a while... :lol:

Rich

#57 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Rich, if the tech doing the service call goes to take it, you think we have any right to stop them unless the unit was truly owned in the 1st place? Chill out a little there bud.

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Rich, if the tech doing the service call goes to take it, you think we have any right to stop them unless the unit was truly owned in the 1st place? Chill out a little there bud.

I've had to explain to Techs and a supervisor twice in the last month that the 20s weren't recoverable. Both times they called to confirm that they should leave my leased 20-700s with me and twice they were told to leave them. Takes a while for the word to get out in our little world and in D*'s little world. Always confusion where there is little communication. So, yes, I did think I had the right to stop them and both times the guys apologized. Don't know what I'm ever gonna do with a leased 20-700, but, at least, I know where they are.

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

There are going to be liability issues here. You can't just throw them away due to the nature of the components, just like you can't put old pc's in the trash. If they are not recovering them to be refurbed, then at the very least they should be collecting them to be destroyed. You can't sell them on because they essentially are being de-commisioned at the time the tech replaces them, etc....If its being replaced by another model, due to getting say a 24, or 34, give it to the tech to dispose of. Especially if its broken.

#60 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Rich.... non-recoverable doesnt mean that the techs wont take them. They will and are supposed to....non-recoverable just means you wont get charged for not returning them. Remember....even though they are non-recoverable doesn't mean that you own them. You cant sell them ....
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#61 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

And they wont be supported or replaced...
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#62 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

To clarify they have been added to the scrap list so tech's are required to take them and then send them off to get recycled. If a replacement is sent out a return kit will not be sent and disposal will be up to the customer.

#63 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Rich.... non-recoverable doesnt mean that the techs wont take them. They will and are supposed to....non-recoverable just means you wont get charged for not returning them. Remember....even though they are non-recoverable doesn't mean that you own them. You cant sell them ....

I do understand how the new protocol involving the 20s works. I was just hesitant about the status of the 20-700s that I owned and the Tech and supervisor (note the lack of capitalization, the guy knew little about the equipment, nice guy, but not knowledgeable) both times wanted to take the 20-700s with them. I stopped them because they were owned and I didn't know if the status changed as it would if I swapped out an owned 24 for a new one. In that case the owned 24 that was recovered by the installer would be put back in leased status.

Just got off the phone with ACT and the CSR confirmed that they would remain owned and could be sold.

Rich

#64 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

I do understand how the new protocol involving the 20s works. I was just hesitant about the status of the 20-700s that I owned and the Tech and supervisor (note the lack of capitalization, the guy knew little about the equipment, nice guy, but not knowledgeable) both times wanted to take the 20-700s with them. I stopped them because they were owned and I didn't know if the status changed as it would if I swapped out an owned 24 for a new one. In that case the owned 24 that was recovered by the installer would be put back in leased status.

Just got off the phone with ACT and the CSR confirmed that they would remain owned and could be sold.

Rich

If they were replaced for technical reasons it doesn't matter if they're owned or not the tech should have taken them. If it was due to an upgrade then you should have retained them.

#65 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

If they were replaced for technical reasons it doesn't matter if they're owned or not the tech should have taken them. If it was due to an upgrade then you should have retained them.

That would seem logical, but that's not what the ACT just told me. I'll run one of the owned 20-700s that was owned and deactivated thru ACT later and see how it comes up.

The leased 20-700s I don't care about.

Rich

#66 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

If an IRD comes off my truck on a service call, the old one goes back to the warehouse.

If an IRD comes off my truck for a swap replace type upgrade, the old one goes back to the warehouse.

If it is a straight up upgrade, and you just want it in the place the old one was, you keep it, and turning the old one off is your responsibility.

In the case of 1 and 2 above, if the customer insists on keeping it, I am not going to argue with you, but you will be signing a form that states that you are keeping the IRD's and it will have the rid, and access card numbers on them. That then gets filed with *D and recover becomes their and your problem.

#67 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

It's gonna take a long time to get the 21 series out of the warehouses and into dumpsters (or wherever they go to die). I think.

Well, I ordered an HD-DVR Friday and today I received a brand, spanking-used HR-21. No remote. No cables. Just the box and the power cord.

It wasn't dead, just severely disabled. It looked dead. When I plugged it in the ethernet LEDs came on momentarily then everything was dark.

So for kicks I hooked it up to a TV and plugged it in, again the etherned LEDs came on and then everything went dark, but on the screen it was going through the initialization sequence.

Eventually it came up to the first setup screen where you select the language but I could not communicate with it. It did not respond to the remote control. It did not respond when I pressed SELECT on the front panel It acted almost like the front panel was unplugged from the mother board.

I called and the CSR said my order specified "receiver only" thus no remote or cables. I told her the unit I was replacing was not an HR-2X and I would require those things. She apologized and put in for a replacement.

So the "new" HR-21 is on its' way back...and another unit is on its' way to me.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Well, I ordered an HD-DVR Friday and today I received a brand, spanking-used HR-21. No remote. No cables. Just the box and the power cord.

It wasn't dead, just severely disabled. It looked dead. When I plugged it in the ethernet LEDs came on momentarily then everything was dark.

So for kicks I hooked it up to a TV and plugged it in, again the etherned LEDs came on and then everything went dark, but on the screen it was going through the initialization sequence.

Eventually it came up to the first setup screen where you select the language but I could not communicate with it. It did not respond to the remote control. It did not respond when I pressed SELECT on the front panel It acted almost like the front panel was unplugged from the mother board.

I called and the CSR said my order specified "receiver only" thus no remote or cables. I told her the unit I was replacing was not an HR-2X and I would require those things. She apologized and put in for a replacement.

So the "new" HR-21 is on its' way back...and another unit is on its' way to me.

That sounds like the power supply is bad, just a guess, but it should make you rethink the urban myth of "refurbishing" that D* keeps pushing. No way that HR should have been sent to you in that condition. The last step in any refurbishing process should be a test of the device to see if it works. Keep fighting, you'll eventually win.

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

If the power supply was bad it wouldn't have done anything at all.

It initialized, it started up, it output video, it got to the first setup screen.

I just couldn't communicate with it. The IR sensor and all the front panel buttons and LEDs were dead. The "brains" were working.

I don't have a problem with the refurbishing program. I've gotten defective equipment that was new in the box so brand new is no guarantee of 100% functionality either.

As long as they stand behind it the same as a new item (i.e. "as good as new") I'm OK with it.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#70 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I had a HR20-100 HDD go bad. I called it in, and D* replaced it with an HR21 (drop-shipped). I have not returned the HR20-100 (partly because the initialization phone call for the replacement was cut off before they told me to return the HR20). Lo and behold, I was charged $250 on Sunday for not returning the HR20. Should I call and ask to keep it for free since Rich was told they don't want them back? I would love to use it as an OTA receiver or as a spare DVR with an eSATA drive.

#71 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

If you want to use it, it would have to remain active on your D* account at $6/month to be useable. So you can either call and request a return recovery kit for it, or do what you would like to do.

#72 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Cancelled my D* service 2 months ago, never returned my HR20-100, never got charged.

Here we go again with D* inconsistencies with how they treat customers.

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

If the power supply was bad it wouldn't have done anything at all.

It initialized, it started up, it output video, it got to the first setup screen.

I just couldn't communicate with it. The IR sensor and all the front panel buttons and LEDs were dead. The "brains" were working.

I've just started to get into power supplies. I don't pretend to know all that much about them, but some functions do work with a bad PS. For instance, I had one 24-500 with what I now know was a bad PS, but that thing puzzled me because the HDD still was spinning and the fan was trying to. I think they get their power from the PS, not sure (I do know the fan gets its power from the HDD). Could not find any other path that would suggest they don't get their power from the PS. Replaced it with a PS I knew was good and it's been working as it should.

So far, I've replaced three PSs in three 24-500s and doing that solved the problems we were having with them.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,722 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Not necessarily. There can be differences in treatment of the HR20s depending on whether it's a replacement, an upgrade or an expansion of service. Whether it's owned or not.

Finally, some inconsistencies that may arise due to regional practices ain't no biggie unless you're looking to find fault.

Two days ago, I got an HR34, and the tech was prepared to take the HR20. I said I wanted to keep it; no problem.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I had a HR20-100 HDD go bad. I called it in, and D* replaced it with an HR21 (drop-shipped). I have not returned the HR20-100 (partly because the initialization phone call for the replacement was cut off before they told me to return the HR20). Lo and behold, I was charged $250 on Sunday for not returning the HR20. Should I call and ask to keep it for free since Rich was told they don't want them back? I would love to use it as an OTA receiver or as a spare DVR with an eSATA drive.

This illustrates how poorly the communications between folks at D* are. Call Retention and tell them what happened. That should be taken care of quickly. I just turned in two 20-700s that were leased. I've kept the owned 20-700s I have and checked with ACT and they're still listed as owned. They were deactivated by the installer.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...