Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* doesn't want boxes back

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Power supplies can be a tricky thing since they can be supplying multiple voltages to different circuits and some voltages can go out while others remain.

I don't believe there is a dedicated power bus for the front panel on an HR2X.

So, where does the front panel get its power source from? I'm just learning about the power supplies and I can't see where the power source for that front panel comes from other than the PS. I do know that each of the three PSs I've replaced in HR-24-500s supplied the power to the front panel, which wouldn't light up in any of the three.

I'm going out on a limb there and may get corrected in short order. I'm going largely on what I have seen on other consumer electronics with control panels made up of switches, LEDs and perhaps a mini display tube like VCRs, DVD players, CD players and the like. I've never ripped into an HR2X.

Perhaps one of our "first look" experts will set me straight. I learn new stuff all the time. Most of what I learn is that I know less than I thought.

I do know that the 20-700s have a PS that is integrated into the motherboard. If I'm wrong about that, somebody should correct me.

Yeah, I'd like to see someone more tech-savvy than I am step in here and help you sort out your problem. We'd both learn from that.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

So, where does the front panel get its power source from? I'm just learning about the power supplies and I can't see where the power source for that front panel comes from other than the PS. I do know that each of the three PSs I've replaced in HR-24-500s supplied the power to the front panel, which wouldn't light up in any of the three.

I do know that the 20-700s have a PS that is integrated into the motherboard. If I'm wrong about that, somebody should correct me.

Yeah, I'd like to see someone more tech-savvy than I am step in here and help you sort out your problem. We'd both learn from that.

Rich

Wll yes, the power for the front panel originates at the PS, but generally there is a cable or other connector that links the control panel circuitry to the rest of the unit. If that cable or connector isn't connected the front panel will be dead even if the power supply is good.

That is what appeared to me to be the case. That a cable for the control panel came loose or otherwise failed. LEDs, switches and IR receiver were all not functioning.

That is simplistinc, knee-jerk troubleshooting...pure specultaion...but it wan't my problem to fix either. It didn't work, send me one that does.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#83 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wll yes, the power for the front panel originates at the PS, but generally there is a cable or other connector that links the control panel circuitry to the rest of the unit. If that cable or connector isn't connected the front panel will be dead even if the power supply is good.

That is what appeared to me to be the case. That a cable for the control panel came loose or otherwise failed. LEDs, switches and IR receiver were all not functioning.

That is simplistinc, knee-jerk troubleshooting...pure specultaion...but it wan't my problem to fix either. It didn't work, send me one that does.

I have opened some boxes and found connectors not attached properly, but that's a rarity. Once the connectors from the PS in a 24-500 are plugged in they do not come out easily.

Rich

#84 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have opened some boxes and found connectors not attached properly, but that's a rarity. Once the connectors from the PS in a 24-500 are plugged in they do not come out easily.

Rich

Which, as you pointed out earlier, calls their quality control into question.

How are the refurbs tested? Do they just plug the assembled unit in and see if it boots up? If so the box I got would have passed.

Do they actually test that they can interact with the completely assembled box once it boots? It didn't look like it.

It's possible that they test the control panel on a test fixture prior to installing it and not as part of the completed whole.

I would guess that there is an "acceptable level" of failure in the boxes they send out. That there is some level of testing that they have determined is good enough and doing better than that becomes a labor of diminishing return, that it costs too much to bridge that gap between acceptable success and 100% success.

If their quality testing of refurbs is 99.5 successful that may be considered good enough. That would still mean that 5 out of every 1000 refurbs don't work right.

"Acceptable" levels of anything can be unsettling. For example the USDA recognizes an "acceptable" level of rat feces in food processing. Don't wanna' think about that too long.
--Frank Zappa

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Which, as you pointed out earlier, calls their quality control into question.

How are the refurbs tested? Do they just plug the assembled unit in and see if it boots up? If so the box I got would have passed.

Do they actually test that they can interact with the completely assembled box once it boots? It didn't look like it.

It's possible that they test the control panel on a test fixture prior to installing it and not as part of the completed whole.

I would guess that there is an "acceptable level" of failure in the boxes they send out. That there is some level of testing that they have determined is good enough and doing better than that becomes a labor of diminishing return, that it costs too much to bridge that gap between acceptable success and 100% success.

If their quality testing of refurbs is 99.5 successful that may be considered good enough. That would still mean that 5 out of every 1000 refurbs don't work right.

"Acceptable" levels of anything can be unsettling. For example the USDA recognizes an "acceptable" level of rat feces in food processing. Don't wanna' think about that too long.

I haven't seen any evidence of refurbishing being done and I've had an awful lot of replacements. Some came DOA. How can that happen? Some came that wouldn't recognize any remote. How can that happen? Some came that fell apart when I opened the box. I could go on and on, but I just don't trust them. That's why I bought my own (six) HRs on eBay and CL from MDU clients. One owner and they were all well kept.

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I haven't seen any evidence of refurbishing being done and I've had an awful lot of replacements. Some came DOA. How can that happen? Some came that wouldn't recognize any remote. How can that happen? Some came that fell apart when I opened the box. I could go on and on, but I just don't trust them. That's why I bought my own (six) HRs on eBay and CL from MDU clients. One owner and they were all well kept.

Rich

Well that's a cogent argument for owning them.

I quite simply am too cheap to pay what an owned box costs. I'll just make DirecTV stand behind their leased units all day long and complain until I'm blue in the face if necessary. Thankfully this is the first issue I've had with a leased unit showing up bad. My first HR20-700 had issues a few years ago that indicated that the HDD might be about to fail. They replaced it with another HR20-700 (I paid the shipping since I don't have the Protection Plan) and have been problem free since...until this incident.

The replacement for this bad unit arrived yesterday (an HR21-200), less than 24 hours after I told them that this one was bad. It's now hooked up and running without issue.
--Frank Zappa

#87 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Well that's a cogent argument for owning them.

I quite simply am too cheap to pay what an owned box costs. I'll just make DirecTV stand behind their leased units all day long and complain until I'm blue in the face if necessary. Thankfully this is the first issue I've had with a leased unit showing up bad. My first HR20-700 had issues a few years ago that indicated that the HDD might be about to fail. They replaced it with another HR20-700 (I paid the shipping since I don't have the Protection Plan) and have been problem free since...until this incident.

The replacement for this bad unit arrived yesterday (an HR21-200), less than 24 hours after I told them that this one was bad. It's now hooked up and running without issue.

Me too, but the frustration of receiving one replacement after another that didn't work overcame my "tightness". I simply couldn't take it anymore. Proved to be a good thing, the 20-700s I bought were relatively low priced and a good piece of the money I spent was on 2TB drives to put in them. Some of them lasted a couple years and morphed into owned 24-500s. I still have three of the owned 20-700s that are still reliable, but I don't hold out much hope for them staying that way. They're just old in DVR years.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...