Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Java update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

I have an issue. When I try to enter chat, I get a "plugin not installed" and have the option to install the Java update. If I install the Java update, chat works, but my SageTv client (also based on Java and no longer being updated) fails.

So it seems like I have a choice between my media client or chat. Is there anyway to get Firefox to enter chat using the previous version of Java (all the other Java websites work) without updating it?
If not, looks like I wont be using chat anymore.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Could you use the IE9 or another browswer for the Chat and leave Firefox not updated so you Sage TV would still work there ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Could you use the IE9 or another browswer for the Chat and leave Firefox not updated so you Sage TV would still work there ?

I dont think so, because when I click the button to update the plugin, it goes to the java website and makes me download the whole java update package, which would affect all programs on the computer.

I guess Ill just log on to chat from my tablet if I need to, but I am just trying to understand why all my other java sites work fine with the previous version, but the Dbstalk chat room.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I am using the 32 bit version of IE9 because a certain program I run does not have a 64 bit version and will not run on a 64 bit browser.

You might try loading your 32 bit version of IE9 and see what it does.

Edited by jimmie57, 01 September 2012 - 10:50 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

You might also try other browsers. I had some glitches in one, but not another. I'm onna Mac, so specifics won't help you!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks guys. The 32 bit version of IE9 works. Ill use that.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Great.
Glad it worked for you.
Thanks for the update.

spam firewall