Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Major Crimes

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

This is why I try not to delete a record series when a show goes on a hiatus.

• Red Orc likes this

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#27 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Serial link working like a charm. All set to record. Thanks anyway.

#28 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

...Major Crimes does not have the energy of Closer and I suspect it will flounder its way to an early grave.

Well, I guess that didn't go quite as expected.

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but the proof is in the pudding, and MC is the most-watched show on TNT, which is having a banner year.

Many did not like the "Rusty" story line, but they have done an excellent job with that. It seems like a strong and vital element. I think the show would be a lot narrower and just a predictable procedural without that, and it allowed us to warm up to Raydor, who was a pretty cold character at first. And I think the kid has been a great character, in spite of his storyline seeming at first like it might have been out of place in a procedural.

I think they also beat the odds; The Closer was somewhat of an ensemble show, but it always also was led by a star, who was a 900-lb gorilla that drove all plot lines. It would have been expected that the spinoff would be a pale imitation without her (and she was really terrific, no question), but with no more Brenda Lee Johnson getting in the way, this show has flourished. Tough to do when you lose two main players like her and J.K. Simmons.

I was not sure I would be able to stay with it, especially a spinoff that is pretty much (at first) the same show minus its two biggest stars. But it has become one of my favorite shows, and it seems to just get better all the time. Today I saw the episode where they chased child abductors, from probably a few weeks ago. There is a scene where Fritz provides a kill shot that is edited so damned professionally, that I had to watch it a half dozen times, and was blown away each time.

Again, I think you have to tip your hat to James Duff, who I consider among the most talented writer/producers working. He can take any group of actors and writers and get the best out of them. I am in complete awe of how great this guy is.

Interesting fact: Producer/Creator James Duiff married Philip Keene (who plays Buzz in both series) in 2013.

Edited by TomCat, 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM.

• beachcamp likes this
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#29 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

"Spoiler Alert"

The only disappointment was how the season ended with a somewhat typical "killer breaks out and is on the loose.". Now there is the renewed threat to Rusty and obliviously the public. Sorta hyped up drama. Still big fans of Major Crimes.

Edited by 1953, 16 January 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the spoiler.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts
  • LocationDesoto, TX

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the spoiler.

Sorry

#32 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

I keep thinking/hoping that Rusty will get killed, but it keeps not happening.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#33 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,223 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

I have no problem with Rusty. AD Rios on the other hand would be a better candidate to be bump off.
  • Supramom2000 likes this

#34 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

I enjoy this show very much, except for "Crusty". My poor wife listens to me bitch and moan about him every episode.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#35 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

I like the combo of personalities. I reminds me of a few office experience I went thru during my career.

• 1953 likes this

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#36 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

I enjoy this show very much, except for "Crusty". My poor wife listens to me bitch and moan about him every episode.

I fast forward thru most of the scenes that he is in.

• 1980ws likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#37 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

In the spirit of full disclosure, there were also, IMHO, a lot of awkward things about the "Two Options" episode. It had a ton of action and was pretty good at the procedural part of illustrating how modern law enforcement entities are structured and how they work together (or don't), and was very tech-heavy, very "2014".

But my sneaking feeling is that the "guest" appearances here were calculated to try to build a new narrative around Fritz, along with Laurie Holden, Lindsay Price, two SWAT officers, and some of the other peripheral characters. It felt very much like a test balloon, a try for a spinoff of the spinoff. I have not seen eps after this, so it is speculation that has no basis at this time (please no more spoilers).

As such, there were a lot of scenes that were written to that end, and did not move the actual story along very well. It also made telling the story very awkward. I always find it to be something that greatly undermines what the writers could have done or their vision when a big guest star is slated, or a network or production company dictates that the show will become a temporary platform for trying out spinoff ideas, throwing everything at the wall with out regard for the characters and narrative, just to see what might stick.

If they wanted to build a new narrative around a strong character, I think they missed the boat. In 2006, Ray Wise, the great character actor (returning as Leland Palmer in the new Twin Peaks) played a "Better call Saul"-type of lawyer on two eps of The Closer who came in and really chewed up the scenery. Between his delivery and the great lines they wrote for him I was really hoping to see a lot more of that character, and was thinking at the time that he would be a natural for a spinoff.

MC is also not perfect on its own, they are hampered by a small, TNT-like budget, and the music is always lame and predictable, and never has it really supported the show well. The music for The Closer, same budget, I imagine, was a little better, as they used a bit of a twangy, back-country approach to support the history of the character Brenda Lee Johnson.

There are obvious dramatic mistakes in execution (you can't reshoot on a small budget), but the writing, acting, producing is still first-rate, as are the scripts. Many will disagree with this point, but in my experience "Rusty" has won me over. I really can relate to his character and his story, and the actor is quite talented in making me want to root for his character. He's a terrific kid just trying to navigate the aftermath of a horrific upbringing, and I would adopt him in a second.

Edited by TomCat, 17 January 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

I keep thinking/hoping that Rusty will get killed, but it keeps not happening.

Yeah he's goten a lot more tolerable but I still am really not that crazy about Rusty.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...