Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to get OTA channels from the AM21 to appear in the Android app?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Is there a way to get the OTA channels from the AM21 to appear in the Android app? So that a remote schedule can take place?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Same with the iPad app and the DIRECTV web site GUIDE. There's no way to schedule OTA recordings.

If you think about it, since OTA channel assignments are different in every market, the apps (or the web site) would have to know specifically which OTA channels are available for each customer. OTA is probably such a small % of overall usage that it likely doesn't justify the work that would be involved in making this happen. Just my .02.

That said, the iPad app will see OTA recordings in the playlist, but doesn't identify them as such.

The Nomad device will not show you any OTA recordings are available to download. That one puzzles me, because they are already recorded and should be eligible for transcoding, IMO.
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

The Nomad device will not show you any OTA recordings are available to download. That one puzzles me, because they are already recorded and should be eligible for transcoding, IMO.

I believe this is because the OTA recordings are made in the MPEG2 format because that is what they are broadcast in (the DirecTV DVRs don't have the ability to transcode the MPEG2 broadcast to MPEG4 as they are being recorded). Since the OTA recordings are stored as MPEG2 files they take up more space than the same recording that would have come off the DirecTV MPEG4 channel.

Also, because of this they are not able to be transcoded by the Nomad because the Nomad hardware/software is only able to work with MPEG4 recorded material.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

But nomad can transcode MPEG2 SD channels, so I don't think it's a limitation of the nomad hardware. IMHO it's probably more of an issue if intergrating the ATSC/OTA channels that the AM21/AM21N can receive into the nomad software. With the word on the street that VERY few DIRECTV customers use OTA/AM21s they might have felt spending the dollars for a limited audience wasn't worth the money, especially with more and more local HD channels coming up on LIL service.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Ya. I agree MPEG2 should not be the issue.

I just don't know why they might have to do anything special to let us select OTA recordings already on the DVR. At that point, it shouldn't matter how they originated.

Maybe it's a rights issue? :scratchin
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...