Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D TV....not bad!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have three Pannys, and out of the box, the picture is horrible. When properly calibrated, I have yet to find a TV that surpasses the Panny.

3D will always be dimmer than 2D, because you are only seeing one-half of the display at a time; however, properly calibrating the TV will compensate for that. I have no problems watching 3D on my Panny. I have not watched The Avengers, but Avatar in 3D on my Panny is spectacular.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

One other thing about calibrating the Panny is that each input must be calibrated separately. It took me a while to figure that out. I calibrated my TV using the HDMI-1 input, and I could not figure out why DirecTV looked so much better than the same program OTA. Theoretically, OTA should be slightly better than DirecTV, but that was not my experience. That was when I discovered that the antenna settings were still the out-of-the box settings, and not the settings that I had for HDMI-1.

#43 OFFLINE   Haviland

Haviland

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I've had a Panasonic Viera 42" LCD passive 3D for a few months. Main justification to upgrade from my few year old Vizio 42" was lower power consumption ... abt 100 watts instead of 300 watts. In my poorly insulated RV the extra heat during CA's hot summer makes a BIG difference in comfort ... air conditioner now is able to handle 100 degree days.

3D was an attraction not so much to watch movies or sports, but to try some 3D shooting myself. As an avid photog I checked out 3D years ago to find it took a bunch of expensive gear and display capabilities were very limited. At the time it was not a speciality I wanted to invest in.

So along with the new Viera TV I bought a Panasonic 3D1 camera. It's a small dual lens "point & shoot" camera that takes HD 3D video and high quality 3D stills. (It also does 2D.) I've been very pleased with it's ease of use. I shoot then take the SD card from the camera and insert it into the TV and the list of stills ans/or video pops-up automatically ready to view.

Results ... are AMAZING. Subject was my very popular hummingbird feeder. So realistic was the results that when they were zipping around in the middle of my living room I hesitated reaching for the remote because I was afraid I'd scare them!

One thing I would like to have seen in 3D from DirecTV was some of the Summer Olympics coverage, but a power line short "zapped" the HDMI out on my HR24-200 and one of the HDMI "ins" on the Vizio. Gotta use HDMI output from the DVR to show 3D. I'm using component connection now from the HR24 and it's fine for picture quality. A fix for the HDMI would probably require changing out the box and the delema is having a bunch of stuff on the hard drive I don't wanna give-up. As for the Olympics I'm hoping Panasonic will come out with a nicely edited 3D highlights Blu-ray ... reasonably priced.

Here's one of my 3D1 camera setups and a couple shots of the 42" Viera's screen. (Which don't really do it's picture justice.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 3D1 n LED setup 10252 1280p.jpg
  • Viera screen 2D 10274 1280p.jpg
  • Viera screen 3D 10273 1280p.jpg

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

One other thing about calibrating the Panny is that each input must be calibrated separately. It took me a while to figure that out.

Took me a while to figure that out too. I've got three HRs and a BD player hooked up to my AVR system and that allows me to only use one HDMI output. I haven't played with the other outputs since I don't use them.

I calibrated my TV using the HDMI-1 input, and I could not figure out why DirecTV looked so much better than the same program OTA. Theoretically, OTA should be slightly better than DirecTV, but that was not my experience. That was when I discovered that the antenna settings were still the out-of-the box settings, and not the settings that I had for HDMI-1.

....:lol: That must have driven you nuts. Did you try making sense of the manual? Or calling Panny for support? Both seem to be kinda fruitless endeavors.

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have three Pannys, and out of the box, the picture is horrible. When properly calibrated, I have yet to find a TV that surpasses the Panny.

3D will always be dimmer than 2D, because you are only seeing one-half of the display at a time; however, properly calibrating the TV will compensate for that. I have no problems watching 3D on my Panny. I have not watched The Avengers, but Avatar in 3D on my Panny is spectacular.

I've tried, but I get kinda queasy watching it and I doubt if any calibration will help that. I didn't get the TV for 3D, I got it for the great 2D picture. Having been in the Navy, I avoid things that make me feel seasick.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've had a Panasonic Viera 42" LCD passive 3D for a few months. Main justification to upgrade from my few year old Vizio 42" was lower power consumption ... abt 100 watts instead of 300 watts. In my poorly insulated RV the extra heat during CA's hot summer makes a BIG difference in comfort ... air conditioner now is able to handle 100 degree days.

3D was an attraction not so much to watch movies or sports, but to try some 3D shooting myself. As an avid photog I checked out 3D years ago to find it took a bunch of expensive gear and display capabilities were very limited. At the time it was not a speciality I wanted to invest in.

So along with the new Viera TV I bought a Panasonic 3D1 camera. It's a small dual lens "point & shoot" camera that takes HD 3D video and high quality 3D stills. (It also does 2D.) I've been very pleased with it's ease of use. I shoot then take the SD card from the camera and insert it into the TV and the list of stills ans/or video pops-up automatically ready to view.

Results ... are AMAZING. Subject was my very popular hummingbird feeder. So realistic was the results that when they were zipping around in the middle of my living room I hesitated reaching for the remote because I was afraid I'd scare them!

One thing I would like to have seen in 3D from DirecTV was some of the Summer Olympics coverage, but a power line short "zapped" the HDMI out on my HR24-200 and one of the HDMI "ins" on the Vizio. Gotta use HDMI output from the DVR to show 3D. I'm using component connection now from the HR24 and it's fine for picture quality. A fix for the HDMI would probably require changing out the box and the delema is having a bunch of stuff on the hard drive I don't wanna give-up. As for the Olympics I'm hoping Panasonic will come out with a nicely edited 3D highlights Blu-ray ... reasonably priced.

Here's one of my 3D1 camera setups and a couple shots of the 42" Viera's screen. (Which don't really do it's picture justice.)

Huh. The Panny LCDs get terrible reviews, but you don't seem to be reflecting those reviews. Does that LCD also get really dim when you go to 3D?

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Theoretically, OTA should be slightly better than DirecTV, but that was not my experience.

There are two things that may be behind this:

1. DIRECTV is getting their signal before it hits the broadcast multiplexer.
2. You prefer the way that DIRECTV contours/paints its feed (gamma, saturation, contrast) to that of the network feed.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#48 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

There are two things that may be behind this:

1. DIRECTV is getting their signal before it hits the broadcast multiplexer.
2. You prefer the way that DIRECTV contours/paints its feed (gamma, saturation, contrast) to that of the network feed.

Neither. It was because the settings on the TV for the antenna input were very bad. I had used the Ovation Avia DVD to adjust the settings for the HDMI-1 input, but did not realize that only affected that input and not all of the inputs. Once I figured that out and used the same settings for the antenna input that I had for the HDMI-1 input, I could not tell the difference between OTA and DirecTV. Before I figured that out, the OTA picture had the white level too high, the black level to high, and the sharpness too high. The picture was washed out.

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I have never seen any difference in the feeds from NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox or PBS with respect to those settings; DIRECTV® broadcasts are exactly the same settings.

What experience of yours indicates that DIRECTV® messes with gamma or saturation, much less contrast??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

My kids love Directv 3D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...