Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer dropped my old dish and now...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aseadsea

aseadsea

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

My old slimline 5lnb dish for directv was dropped from about 6 feet by the installer of the new dish with SWM. Now I am trying to reuse this dropped dish outside of my trailer. I am using a hr20 100 and a SD tv. I get no signal on any transponders on the 99, 103, 101, but I do get solid 95's on three transponders on the 110 and 3 in the 80's on the 119. Using dual tuner and multiswitch settings on Sat. setup. If the dish was bent could this cause this issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Doubtful. Sounds like you are pointed at the wrong satellite, unless the dish is bent REALLY bad. Aim it at 101 first.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

your dish is garbage. any minor dent or ding to the slimline dish will render it unusable, specially if you are using it with an HD receiver

#4 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

yea my grandfather barley dinked ours while mowing last month and we had to get a completely new dish and lnb and i couldn't tell it was dent until the tech pointed it out to me
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#5 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

I have to agree with Davenlr. Your immediate problem is that you probably aren't aiming the dish correctly and you have your settings wrong most likely. Unless you have a separate international dish and a WB68 you shouldn't have 95 even showing up.

A damaged dish will cause problems getting signal correctly on all the sats you need but it should be more than sufficient to pull in all the SQ channels on 101 if that is all you need. The HD channels from 99/103 are much weaker and more sensitive to proper alignment/damaged dish.

#6 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

I have to agree with Davenlr. Your immediate problem is that you probably aren't aiming the dish correctly and you have your settings wrong most likely. Unless you have a separate international dish and a WB68 you shouldn't have 95 even showing up.

A damaged dish will cause problems getting signal correctly on all the sats you need but it should be more than sufficient to pull in all the SQ channels on 101 if that is all you need. The HD channels from 99/103 are much weaker and more sensitive to proper alignment/damaged dish.

ive seen lots of bent dishes. They all can still get perfect signal on the 101 and the 99 and 103 will only get to 70s and 80s. Id agree with these guys that your pointing at the wrong sattelite.

#7 OFFLINE   aseadsea

aseadsea

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

ive seen lots of bent dishes. They all can still get perfect signal on the 101 and the 99 and 103 will only get to 70s and 80s. Id agree with these guys that your pointing at the wrong sattelite.

Ok, so if I am standing behind the dish looking at the sky the 101 Sat. would be to the left? And if so how much? For my Zip it calls for Elev of 38 azimuth of 131.9 tilt is 114. Zip is 95542. If the lnb was also dropped (i did not see if it was) could it be toast?

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

You can see the line on a map at dishpointer.com.
I just looked at it using your zip and the line runs parallel to the west coast of the USA down the peninsula.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Same here. Saw one recently that that went through a hail storm. The signal levels were good enough to pass IV, but I replaced the reflector anyway because it looked like someone took a baseball bat to it.

I've seen others that look perfect, but won't get levels above the 70s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...