Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Banners freeze guide

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

It seems that frequently if a banner is on a guide page my hr24 takes forever (30 seconds+or-) to respond. Any ideas on a fix? It is a good thing I rarely watch live tv as this is a problem that is very frustrating.
T

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Ok, I founds some tips. I'll give them a try.
Large ext hd nearly full can cause delays some times. Deleted recordings to 39% available
This seems to have cured my problem.

If it returns with the hd at 39% I will
Reset twice to flush guide.
I'll report bad in a few days.

Edited by ticmxman, 01 September 2012 - 09:21 PM.

T

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

The banner ads in the guide might also be adding IR interference. If you are using the remote in RF mode this does not apply.
If you are using it in IR mode you can place a piece of Blue Painters tape over the sensor on the receiver and block out the unwanted IR signals. A piece of Scotch tape and then color it dark with a sharpie or marks a lot will do this also. I have the Scotch tape on 2 of my 3 receivers.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   SPG900NY

SPG900NY

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm having the exact same issue with the banners - not the browse a specific VOD channel banner, but mostly the "Watch Instantly" banners. Those are the ones that kill the box for a good 2 minutes. Then I go down one more, and another 2 minutes gone, and so on until I get to the regular channels.

I'm wondering if the "Watch Instantly" titles are also what's causing my HR24-500 to be unresponsive at times? Is there any way to STOP the box from automatically downloading these movies to the hard drive?

And 39% remaining seems to be the spot for me too where things head off the cliff. I have an EVDS 2TB drive.

#5 OFFLINE   SlimyPizza

SlimyPizza

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

This Banner Freeze issue is frustrating. Been happening for quite a while now and with more banners on the guide it seems to be more of an issue. We frequently surf through the guide (or try to) and getting hung up every couple of screens for ads is not cool.
----------------------------------------------------

#6 OFFLINE   Flyrx7

Flyrx7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Same here. Subscribed for a solution.

#7 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Haven't tried clearing my nearly-full large drive, yet, but I have noticed the most offensive guide lockups involve those instant-play PPV items rather than the ones with simple info about an upcoming program on a non PPV channel.

It seems to me that the PPV banners are designed to force you to view them. Guide flush doesn't even provide temporary relief on the HR 21.

Also the fact that these issues occur on "faster" machines makes me suspicious of more "intentional" software programming that has gone wrong in this case. We were supposedly led to believe early on in the HD GUI update days that guide surfing was supposed to be a much faster and more visually improved experience. Unfortunately with these banners this just cannot be the case.

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Ok, I founds some tips. I'll give them a try.
Large ext hd nearly full can cause delays some times. Deleted recordings to 39% available
This seems to have cured my problem...

"Seems" is the operative term. How in any possible world can content stored on your HDD that you are not currently recording nor playing back have any bearing on this? The metadata for each recording is indexed so that the play list will be able to appear, but there is no interaction between the DVR and content on your HDD unless it is content you are actually reading from or writing to the HDD at that moment. All other content is out of play. IOW, your DVR has no earthly idea how full your HDD is other than what it knows to display the play list, and it also does not care, until it gets so full that space is unavailable.

I have run HDDs completely full numerous times without ever experiencing any sort of slowdown. Many people never delete anything and allow the HDD to do it (by not choosing KUID) meaning once full, the HDD is always full.

It seems that you have a perfectly-good premise, which is that when there are banner ads in the guide, performance suffers. I think we all agree that this can happen. How that could relate to how full your HDD might be is baffling at best.

My best guess is that on originally-designed SD boxes with retro-fitted HD graphics and unexpected crap-app bloatware, that there is not enough RAM nor virtual memory capability to prevent slowdowns when the box gets busy. If you display a guide page with a banner ad, the DVR has to serve that on the fly with top priority, and other high-priority tasks like responding to remote clicks suffers. That is just a guess, but at least it has a credible theory to support it.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

It's a good thing they don't try to animate those graphics. Imagine the awful mess that would create!

Unfortunately, I've no doubt that some chucklehead somewhere up the chain wants it, though, and they'll try to force these woefully inadiquate devices to process the extra garbage.

I can definitely agree that the unnecesarry "unexpected crap-ap bloatware" is a good guess for a cause of performance drag.

Back when the HD GUI was first released (w/o as much bloatware) it did seem faster. Also I thought the "skewed" menu icons were kind of cool, but I assume those resources were used up to add extra icons for all the "bloatware."

All complaints aside, though, I still think as a basic straightforward HD record/playback system it still works pretty well (as long as you're not doing intense guide surfing while simultaneously trying to watching HD programming), and puts out a pretty decent-quality HD picture.

(Just stay away from the guide and simply watch your recordings! <g>)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...