Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dtv sub off an on since 1995, just cut the cord

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SCDishMan2006

SCDishMan2006

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

OTA, Netflix and Hulu here I come.

I had an epiphany this morning and woke up thinking about it. What am I really paying for? Do I really need this?

I have seen the light. That's not a shot at the 20 million other people that pay for and enjoy their Dtv service. It's just something I've decided to live without.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Veteran of DTV herd. :)

#3 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm considering cutting back, once I get my C Band system up and running, in a couple of weeks. I'm using a DSR920 and a Viewsat 9000. Once that's done, then I'll see what's free and cut way back on my programming costs. I can do without locals, since I can get them over-the-air anyways.

#4 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

This is going to probably sound sad to you, but I would rather be dead than not have television and my directv and hr34, and NO I am not joking. It is the one thing in my little life that gives me pure happiness and is always there for me.

#5 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

This is going to probably sound sad to you, but I would rather be dead than not have television and my directv and hr34, and NO I am not joking. It is the one thing in my little life that gives me pure happiness and is always there for me.

+1

#6 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

Amazon Prime is another source of low-cost video. If you buy much stuff on Amazon you get the benefit of free shipping and a ever-growing library of free video. Not much in HD, but some of their SD is better picture quality than Directv's.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#7 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

OTA, Netflix and Hulu here I come.

I had an epiphany this morning and woke up thinking about it. What am I really paying for? Do I really need this?

I have seen the light. That's not a shot at the 20 million other people that pay for and enjoy their Dtv service. It's just something I've decided to live without.

My daughter and son in law recently did just that and now they call me all the time to record stuff on DVDs for them that they can't get.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

$1,000 per year is a lot for TV. I can see why people do it.

#9 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

I totally get this.

That said, if I was single I might have cut the cord years ago. I know where to find everything I watch. The wife on the otherhand is dead set against it based on the few discussions we have had. I am perfectly fine with that because I still have no problem paying Directv every month.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,812 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

When you are old like me the TV is my only form of entertainment.
I would be really lost without NASCAR, NHRA, Golf, Tennis, several of the series on 242, 245, 265, HBO, Showtime, etc.
My bill is about $140 which is a lot, but, when I used to date I spent that much on one date. This is entertainment for every day of the month.
It is all relative to what you want or need.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

It just depends what you replace it with. If you have priorities, like the AMC lineup, then you still need to subscribe. If your looking for specific programming that is either in the clear, or available for less, then you have to explore those options. I for one, do like the AMC lineup, my local sports teams, oldies programming and movies. If it was just the ability to ala carte each service, then it would make life easier.

#12 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

I totally agree with jimmie as you retire,live in a really large city and do notstay as social, tv and computer are your network. My 2 tvs stay on 12 hrs per day and it is worth every penny to me.Everybody has their likes and things to cut back on. I would not die without it,but it entertains, teaches and makes a retired sit at home day better. Other family members have tried to cut the cord, but usually find they Spend more for equipment etc and can not get their favs than if they went to the lowest package.Somehow they always come back to DTV and the equipment junks up the cabinets.

#13 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

All I could think of when I read this post was this -

Let me ask you something, when did you make this decision? When you were sitting there eating that muffin?

Yeah, I was sitting here, eating my muffin and drinking my coffee and replaying the incident in my head, when I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,261 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

It is the one thing in my little life that gives me pure happiness and is always there for me.

Right. this is how I refer to my beer:lol:

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

When you are old like me the TV is my only form of entertainment.

I totally agree with jimmie as you retire,...

I kind of feel sorry for you guys. I'm also "old" (late 60's), retired, and so darned active and busy I have trouble finding time to watch tv.

But then our individual pursuits are what make us all unique individuals, and what's right for one person isn't for another. Continue to enjoy your TV and your retired life.

#16 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

I wish I could cut back, but they deviously have placed certain channels at the higher levels, and I got an earful from other family members every time I tried to go to a lower programming package. Good luck to you!
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

I kind of feel sorry for you guys. I'm also "old" (late 60's), retired, and so darned active and busy I have trouble finding time to watch tv.

But then our individual pursuits are what make us all unique individuals, and what's right for one person isn't for another. Continue to enjoy your TV and your retired life.

I'm retired, but I have a part time job and also go to the gym. Being a school bus driver, I had a lot of spare time in the summer, and did watch a lot of tv. I guess you could say I abused Netflix. But now that school started, I don't have as much time to watch tv as I did during the summer.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,812 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I have a physically handicapped son that I take care of. I only leave the house to get us food or to take him to the doctor.
A few years ago I was out on a date and when I got home I found him on the floor and he had been there almost since the time I left. That was my last date and leaving for any length of time.

He loves his DirecTV, especially the multi screen tennis matches. He has the 52" Mitsubishi.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...