Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Analog Audio disabled with DD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   utlimate_ed

utlimate_ed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

I have an HR24 as the DVR in my living room and I've been feeding the audio and video via the HDMI connection to my Denon AVR and then on to my TV.

I've put an HDMI splitter to mirror the video to a second TV on my patio. I've got the second zone audio for my AVR feeding sound out to several sets of speacker in my back yard.

Now, I know that one limitation of my AVR (and, from my research, pretty much every AVR) is that they can't handle digital audio out to zone 2/3.

So, as a work around, I had planned to run audio from the RCA jacks of the HR24 to an analog input on my AVR and just set my AVR zone 2 to play that audio.

However, when I tried this yesterday, I got no sound. I'm able to get sound outside with other sources and have been for a while, so I know that that end of the signal path is good.

I have my AVR set to output Dolby Digital in the menu since I have a surround sound speaker arrangement for the living room. I had thought the RCA jacks would just output a stereo analog signal.

So, I am left to wonder - does enabling Dolby Digital disable the analog RCA outs on the HR? I'm going to play around with settings some more today, but I wanted to know if I was chasing a dead end.

Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have my Samsung hooked up with Component cables direct. The sound plays on my TV if I turn the speakers on. I also have an optical cable run to my Yamaha. Dolby Digital plays on either one.
I can also turn on the TV speakers and the Surround sound and both play at the same time.
All with Dolby Digital ON.

My son has an HDMI run to his Yamaha and an optical cable and uses the optical cable for his sound with Dolby Digital ON.

I do not have a suggestion of how to get yours to work but it is my understanding that all audio outputs are live all the time on the DTV receivers.

Edited by jimmie57, 02 September 2012 - 06:51 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   utlimate_ed

utlimate_ed

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Well,

I don't know what was different about today, but I hooked up the RCA cables again between the HR24 and my AVR and got sound as I originally expected.

I suspect something with my AVR. Overall, I love it, but it does seem to undergo some quirky behaviors related to input selections.

So, I've got my Dolby Digital in the main room and stereo sound out to the back patio.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Excellent.
Thanks for the update.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...