Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

View 2 tvs from 1 hd-dvr

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

My brother n law has only 1 line coming in to his living room to his hd-dvr and asked me if he could put a tv in his bedroom and somehow view his sat with the only box in living room. I told him I didn't think so but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew a cheap way to do this as he said didn't really wanna get another box for some reason. I told him a he box is only $100 bucks but then directv would prolly have to run another line and stuff. Any cheap ideas to make this possible?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,416 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

The HD DVRs have multiple outputs on the back of them that are all live all the time.
HDMI, Component , Composite and S Video.
Running another connection to the DVR will "Mirror" the second TV to the first ( both TVs are on the same channel all the time ).
Use of the Composite and S Video connections will cause the TVs to drop to SD resolution.
Using the Component connection to one TV and HDMI to the other can cause HDCP problems with some of the Premium channels like HBO.
Using a powered HDMI splitter will allow you to use each TV with HDMI connections.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

The HD DVRs have multiple outputs on the back of them that are all live all the time.
HDMI, Component , Composite and S Video.
Running another connection to the DVR will "Mirror" the second TV to the first ( both TVs are on the same channel all the time ).
Use of the Composite and S Video connections will cause the TVs to drop to SD resolution.
Using the Component connection to one TV and HDMI to the other can cause HDCP problems with some of the Premium channels like HBO.
Using a powered HDMI splitter will allow you to use each TV with HDMI connections.

Ok cool I didn't even think of those options duh haha so if I get him to hook up Component to the hd dvr and his living room tv and then hdmi from dvr to bedroom tv that should be ok since they don't have premium channels such as hbo? And then get a rf remote since the rooms are right beside each other and they should be able to change channels from the bedroom I would think huh? Rf works good for me at home as I have 6 dvrs and there hidden in each room with tvs on the wall and works well

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yup, you have the right idea

#5 OFFLINE   Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit

AllStar

• Topic Starter