Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 problems x136B: confirmed DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   caprock

caprock

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

I am posting this as a new thread to help others. Posted this 8/25/2012:

I also have this - video drops but audio still ok. When video drops, seems to last for several seconds to a minute. I found that if I use back 6 secs, it picks up after the break, but of course, the audio is lost as well with this method.
My dvr is R15-500 and firmware appears up to date at x136B.

After fighting with this for what feels like 4 months or so, I am ready to call DirecTV for a replacement. I have already done the gross reformat operation at least twice so the hdd is real suspect.

I called DirecTV again today on this issue and they said they were aware of the video drops but also several other issues:

1) video stops while audio continues. Timed at 6 to 40 seconds.

2) remote fails to control the receiver even while the blue light on set indicates a valid signal - happens for moments to a few minutes.

3) while #2 occurs, the navigation buttons on the set are also inop.

4) audio stops completely while video works and channel changes are ok. Again moments to a few minutes.

The response from DirecTV is that they will not replace these receivers since the problems are known (I have the equipment protection plan); they are not offering any idea as to a schedule for a fix; they are supposing that these are software problems; they will not discuss a receiver upgrade unless associated with a national/regional upgrade plan.

Perhaps if more of us call and complain, this might lead to a fix. As it is, I have been with them for over 10 years and they don't seem to consider a potential loss of my account as of particular interest.

I have grown to like the channel lineups offered, and the service used to be great.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Very interesting.

I see my R15-300 got a software update about a week ago and I was crossing my fingers that this issue didn't affect the -300...and it doesn't.

Apparently, this problem only affects the R15-500 which is weird.

Wouldn't it be awful if something else happened to your -500 which required the protection plan to replace it for free? And wouldn't it also be odd if you demanded an R15-100 or R15-300 from the technician who came out? I'm just saying, strange coincidences do happen... ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

If its a known software issue then how would a replcement fix anything? I mean seriously, the fix will come down when it's ready.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

If its a known software issue then how would a replcement fix anything? I mean seriously, the fix will come down when it's ready.

There are THREE versions of the R15, the 100, 300, and the 500 each manufactured by a different company and using different software (even if the version number is the same). The problem only seems to be with the 500 which is manufactured by PACE. A replacement with a 100 or 300 would solve the problem instantly. Got it?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

There are THREE versions of the R15, the 100, 300, and the 500 each manufactured by a different company and using different software (even if the version number is the same). The problem only seems to be with the 500 which is manufactured by PACE. A replacement with a 100 or 300 would solve the problem instantly. Got it?

As long as it's an R15. R16-300 and R16-500 are also affected by this issue. It seams tied entirely to 0x136B, which most R15-100s and -300s just never got.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...