Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish and Comcast internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zeekle

zeekle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi all I have a tech question here. I am moving to a new house and much to my frustration the only broadband provider is comcast. Is there any way to continue to move to the new house with dish and use comcast just for my internet access?

If this is possible any advice on what I should tell the guys doing the installs? I can just see one of those comcast guys messing up my dish install on purpose.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Is there any way to continue to move to the new house with dish and use comcast just for my internet access?

That would be a question for Comcast.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm doing something similar with Time Warner Cable as my internet, Dish Network and a VoIP company for my home phone. Before I switched to TWC, I was using the local phone company and DSL for internet.

But you need to check that Comcast will do that (they would probably be happy to take your money, though).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Many cable companies sell internet without TV. There is typically an additional fee, since they tend to build the cable installation/maintenance cost into the TV part.

I think the simplest installation would just keep it all separate. ie: if they don't share any wiring, then there's not much to mess up or any fingers to point. eg: the internet can connect to a router, and never see any Dish or interior TV wiring.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi all I have a tech question here. I am moving to a new house and much to my frustration the only broadband provider is comcast. Is there any way to continue to move to the new house with dish and use comcast just for my internet access?

If this is possible any advice on what I should tell the guys doing the installs? I can just see one of those comcast guys messing up my dish install on purpose.

Thanks!

All I know Comcast is expensive here $66.00. Go through a telco.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yes. I had Comcast as an internet only provider before I added their TV service. You can get on their website to get an idea of the price, however, I found in almost all cases, going physically to your local office and requesting the price, will result in better 1 year deals for the first year, than you are usually offered on the website.

It would also be advisable to purchase a cable modem from your local Best Buy or internet shopping site (from the Comcast approved list) prior to installation, to save the monthly modem rental fee from Comcast.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   zeekle

zeekle

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

All I know Comcast is expensive here $66.00. Go through a telco.

I would rather stick with ATT for my internet but they don't have uverse in my new area and they are doing all they can to boot people off of DSL. I really dislike comcast and if I had another viable (nondialup) option I would go that route.

Yes. I had Comcast as an internet only provider before I added their TV service. You can get on their website to get an idea of the price, however, I found in almost all cases, going physically to your local office and requesting the price, will result in better 1 year deals for the first year, than you are usually offered on the website.

It would also be advisable to purchase a cable modem from your local Best Buy or internet shopping site (from the Comcast approved list) prior to installation, to save the monthly modem rental fee from Comcast.

I will do that! Should I have the Dish guy show up first or the Comcast guy?

#8 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

I use Time Warner for the Internet access and DISH for television. Since I already had the DISH installed before Time Warner wired our road, I just had them run a coax from outside directly to where the cable modem is located. That is all that is connected to the cable line. They gouge me $55/mo for the cable modem and access.... :mad:

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

I will do that! Should I have the Dish guy show up first or the Comcast guy?

Really should not matter, unless your Dish system setup requires internet broadband to set up correctly. Just tell both installers NOT to re-use the other services cables.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

You might want to check with Dish (if you haven't already) and ask if their Hughesnet Internet service has launched yet (Echostar bought Hughes last year). I'm thinking that there might be a price break for Dish subscribers.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   Ramer84015

Ramer84015

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

I actually cancelled Comcast Cable and Phone Service (their triple play), just keeping internet service when it got too expensive. Got Dish, no landline and now saving over $50 a month. To answer the OP original question though, yes, you can get Comcast Cable only.

#12 ONLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have comcast for internet and D* for TV.

In my area (at least), it is actually a couple of bucks cheaper to have an internet/basic cable bundle than to just have internet alone. YMMV.

The basic cable comes in handy when the dish is out due to storms. Can keep track of storm warnings, etc. Just have it hooked up to a couple of TV's in the house on a separate input.

#13 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

First, let them know that they aren't to touch the Dish cabling. Then, make sure you are watching your TV during the installation and if it goes out, then address it with the installer right away.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

As a Comcast internet customer with Dish for TV, I first would have Comcast install the internet and get it working making sure you have access where your Dish receivers are to be installed via Ethernet.

Yes Comcast is expensive but ATT does not offer uverse or DSL here.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I had COMCAST for internet when I had DISH previously. I dropped both for U-verse, but that was worse and now I have XFINITY triple play. COMCAST internet blows U-verse away, at least in my suburban Chicago area.

#16 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Everything I have ever read on the internet echoes this - make sure that NEITHER provider is using /reusing cables from the other . I don't think it should matter which one gets there first , but you should be there with both and confirm that everything is working before you sign off.

I've also seen other cases where it is often equal or cheaper in cost to take a minimal cable package with the cable internet, as it often is the same or less than internet alone. I wouldn't "duplicate AT120", but getting a lifeline package of locals maybe enough to make this pay off.

Good luck,
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#17 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

do not mess with hughnet.it very expenives .

#18 OFFLINE   fourhokiefans

fourhokiefans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I am a Comcast internet only subscriber. $39 per month. Very pleased.

#19 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

I have dish and comcast internet, made my bill with them a lot cheaper then when I had their cable as well.

#20 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

do not mess with hughnet.it very expenives .

Yeah Hughesnet can be a bit pricey, I normally tell people to go with comcast internet, or keep their current provider and package it up with dish, it saves them some money each month.

spam firewall