Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish and Comcast internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Many cable companies sell internet without TV. There is typically an additional fee, since they tend to build the cable installation/maintenance cost into the TV part.

I think the simplest installation would just keep it all separate. ie: if they don't share any wiring, then there's not much to mess up or any fingers to point. eg: the internet can connect to a router, and never see any Dish or interior TV wiring.

I have COX Cable for Internet only. No additional fees, in fact no franchise fees or other quasi-taxes that they would otherwise charge for cable and/or telco service. I have a service called "Internet Starter". They do not advertise it on their web page because they want everyone to pay for additional bandwidth. If all you do is surf the net and can live with a DSL quality speed you can get the service for $28.99/mo.

In case you were wondering, my telco service stinks as far as getting broadband (even my dial up speeds were terrible). I'm too far from the CO to get anything above basic DSL which would be $20/mo. The Telco (at&t) wanted $200 to install since I don't directly subscribe to their POTS service. I said no thank you and got COX instead.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

What they did at my house was use the main splitter for Dish's cable straight from the Dish and then they ran a line from my attic to the room where the Comcast modem is.

#28 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have both DISH and COMCAST. My bill for Comcast is only $41 for 35Gbps. Here's what to do. When you sign up for Comcast, ask about ALL the packages. When I re-signed last time, internet only was going to be about $60+ per month. If I added a basic TV package, they gave me a 2 year deal for $35/month 1st year and $45/month for the second year. I don't use the comcast TV. The wiring is completely separate.

If either company should 'purposefully' mess up the other's installation, there would be severe repurcussions. I don't think it's a worry.

Make sure they install separate cables.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...