Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Program Guide Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I just moved from DISH to DirecTV yesterday. So, please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

On DISH, one could set the program guide to show three hours at a time. On the DirecTV web site; it also shows the program guide to show three hours at a time.

Is there a way to set up an HD receivers (Home Media Center 5 tuner HD DVR) and non-DVR HD receiver to show three hours or is 1 1/2 hours the best one can get?

I did try looking at the online manuals and they did not offer any suggestions. And, I went through the various set up menus and did not see anything that would indicate the time span could be changed.

Other than this question, I am very pleased with the video and sound quality of DirecTV. Both SD and HD look great. The install went perfectly and the installer redid some of DISH's wiring in the process. I especially like the whole home network set up. Of course, the current rebate deal certainly was an incentive to move after 14 years with DISH.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to DirecTV.
Sorry, but there are no adjustments that can be made to the time frame or text size or colors of the Guide.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

if it interest you, you can highlight a channel on the guide and press the INFO button. this will give you a couple of hours worth of info on that particular channel

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thank you both for your quick responses. That is what I thought, but it never hurts to ask.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

if your take your time to enjoy and explore your new DirecTV service instead of comparing it to Dish, yo will have a better time watching TV.

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Another feature that DTV has (I've never had Dish so I don't know if they have it) in the guide, if you move the cursor all the way left to highlight the channel name, then hit the "info" key, it will show you all of the up coming programs on that channel. You just have to use the channel down key to advance it. Another way is as mentioned, highlight the particular channel and you can advance it 12 hours at a time by hitting the "green" key....I don't find it as handy as the first one I mentioned. The 12 hour one does come in handy when you know the show you're looking for is many days ahead.

ChuckZ
Harvest, AL

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

While the guide is on the screen, press the yellow button and choose jump to date an time.
I use that quite often also.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Another feature that DTV has (I've never had Dish so I don't know if they have it) in the guide, if you move the cursor all the way left to highlight the channel name, then hit the "info" key, it will show you all of the up coming programs on that channel.
ChuckZ
Harvest, AL

this was mentioned on post #3:confused:

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Wow! DISH lets you view THREE hours of guide data onscreen at the same time? That's pretty nice.

Old Legacy DirecTV receivers used to let you view 2 hours of guide data onscreen at the same time. Some receivers (like my legacy Hughes which I still have active on my account) also let you view TWELVE channels at the same time too!

But, sadly, DirecTV decided different color schemes and options were too "complex" for their level of users so there are almost no display options available on current DirecTV receivers. It reminds me of Henry Ford and the model T: "you can have any color you like as long as it's black"

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   JGinLA

JGinLA

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

this was mentioned on post #3:confused:

I liked Chuck's explanation.

#11 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have noticed with the green advance and red back buttons for 12 hour jumps, you can't hold down the button and then let it continue to skip, you have to press it every 12 hour increment.

Does anyone else miss being able to let it auto skip?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

The iPad app also allows you to adjust the number of hours... Should you have an iPad.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...