Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local and regional popularity of DirecTV vs. Dish

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

In your area, which satellite TV provider seems to be more popular: DirecTV or Dish Network?

Where I currently live (Gilbert, Arizona), DirecTV seems to be more popular since I have seen more houses with DirecTV dishes than those with Dish Network dishes. Interestingly, where I previously lived (Rio Rancho, New Mexico), Dish Network seemed to be more popular there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

For a while Dish was more popular simply because they had locals before DirecTV. And they were slightly cheaper.

I think DirecTV has closed the gap and maybe even overtaken Dish simply due to having more HD programming at a time when people were buying their first HDTV. Cable had next to nothing and Dish was behind DirecTV so people went with DirecTV.

In my neighborhood, DirecTV has at 4-1 advantage over Dish.

Edited by Herdfan, 04 September 2012 - 09:24 AM.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think it definitely depends on the type of community you live in/near. I think at times Dish is considered cheaper, so that makes a difference to some.

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

For a while Dish was more popular simply because they had locals before DirecTV. And they were slightly cheaper.

I think DirecTV has closed the gap and maybe even overtaken Dish simply due to having more HD programming at a time when people were buying their first HDTV. Cable had next to nothing and Dish was behind DirecTV so people went with DirecTV.

It depends what type of HD you want,DISH has more basic channels in HD,where DirecTV has more sports and Premium channels in HD.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101

#5 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

It depends what type of HD you want,DISH has more basic channels in HD,where DirecTV has more sports and Premium channels in HD.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196101

That is NOW. In my post I specifically said "at a time".

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

That is NOW. In my post I specifically said "at a time".

That is correct I was only pointing out the differences today,but I can say DirecTV is adding basic channel HD faster than DISH is lately.;)

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think it definitely depends on the type of community you live in/near. I think at times Dish is considered cheaper, so that makes a difference to some.

When you use DISH's Duo DVRs for 2 TVs it is,but that is only if you have a HDTV and a SDTV.If you need HD for two HDTV,then I believe DISH is more expensive.But then you can transform a DISH's VIP211k into a HDDVR with a one time $40. fee when you hookup a EHD.A VIP211k has one satellite tuner and one OTA tuner:)

#8 OFFLINE   Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yep, in Rio Rancho (and the Albuquerque market in general), Dish had local channels 3 years before DirecTV did (Dish in 2001, DirecTV in 2004). Also, in the Albuquerque area, existing DirecTV customers were required to upgrade to the 3-LNB oval multi-satellite dish to get locals, and I believe the 5-LNB slimline or sidecar dish is required for the HD locals there (both of which were typical for small to mid-size local markets).

Edited by Pink Jazz, 04 September 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Unless they've changed it again, Dish moved our SD locals to a satellite that is behind the hills for a lot of people, and many of them switched to DirecTV at that time. Dish seemed to be the leader before then.

It seems to be about 50/50 now. As far as HD customers, I see more DirecTV HD dishes.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...