Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Price and Availability on HR34

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

I have a couple questions. Is the HR34 available in all areas yet? For me on DTV's website it says, "Available Soon". Also how much do they cost? I'm upgrading from an HR20. Will I need a new dish or anything?

Thank you in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

You have to call in to order them you can't order them on the website. The lease cost is $399. It requires SWM so if you don't have one the cheapest option is to order a CCK for $99. So you'd be looking at $399, $99, $49 plus tax depending on any promotions you might be eligible for which you can only find out by calling in.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

It requires SWM so if you don't have one the cheapest option is to order a CCK for $99.

if the OP orders an HR34 trough DirecTV, a SWM will be install as part of the HR34 installation process. there is no need to order a CCK in order to get SWM. as a matter of fact, a CCK-W can be included at no charge.

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

You've been told the list price for it, the actual price you will pay may be less depending on lots of factors, not least of which is the magic 8 ball.

Reports are in of anywhere from free to full retail, so when you call try to get the best deal you can.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   T-Mac

T-Mac

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

I'd wait on the HR34, it's software is still a mess.

#6 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'd wait on the HR34, it's software is still a mess.

Sorry about your HR34. Mine works just fine. I have never had a problem with it since the first day I installed it and that was several months ago. I will say this though in your defense: My guess is that most of those people who are having problems with their Directv equipment that it is mostly do to a subcontractor's shoddy installation. I never let a subcontractor install anything at my home anymore. I just initial his paper work that he was here and send him on his way. I do all of my own installations now. The quality of the wiring, connectors, etc. that I use and my neatness/perfectionism is far superior to anything a subcontractor would do and that has made all the difference. I have actually had Directv, subcontractor employees bring their bosses over to my house to show them my superior installation as most have never seen anything so well done. Another problem that I have run into is that most Directv subcontractors have very little knowledge of the whole house system / cinema connection kit and even less if you throw Macintosh computers into the mix. If you have an advanced 100MB IT system like I have installed in my IT closet they just stand there with their mouthes open gaping at the blinking lights on my modem, router, and 3, 24 port, GB switches. The only way I ever got the whole house / cinema connection kit to work correctly was to school myself on how to install and configure them myself.

Edited by macfan601, 04 September 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

As a new HR34 owner, I'd like to weigh in on this topic.

I would not call its software a mess but it does have some issues.

1) The Guide goes kaflooey every now and then and becomes jumbled. Simply stepping up or down solves the problem.

2) Scanning through a program at greater than 2x is not recommended. You don't know where you will drop out. It can jump up more than you think it should. Other times I've had it stop on the last image I saw. It seems to be worse when I'm playing a program recorded on one of my other DVRs than on recordings generated internally from the HR34, although watching golf yesterday, when going out of 4x scan, a couple of times I had the DVR jump up a whole hole of play from where I wanted to be.

3) Once I lost all red in the picture and had to turn the DVR back off and on. I didn't have to reset it.

These are certainly annoyances and need to be fixed but they are hardly as bad as trying to operate one of the HR2x DVRs a few months ago during The Time Of Great Slowness. Nor is the software of the HR34 as bad as the HR20's was anytime during its first year on the market. Now there was a buggy DVR!

The HR34 is lightning fast in its operation. I've never had it hesitate on me. And all those extra tuners are a joy. Who needs dual live buffers when you can put three stations in record? I did that yesterday when I was watching three sporting events at once. I switched back and forth between the events seamlessly, scanning to where I needed to go. I can hardly wait for a NFL Sunday. I may get all five tuners going at that point. I could watch five games at once and never miss a play. Wowsah!

Would I get it again? Yes. I really only needed a HR24 but the HR34 is schweet!

Go for it, Mr. Bungles. :righton:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I have a couple questions. Is the HR34 available in all areas yet? For me on DTV's website it says, "Available Soon". Also how much do they cost? I'm upgrading from an HR20. Will I need a new dish or anything?

Thank you in advance!

Just called in today, being delivered on Sat the 15th of Sept, not because of lack of availablity but becasue I needed a saturday delievery

#9 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Sorry about your HR34. Mine works just fine. I have never had a problem with it since the first day I installed it and that was several months ago. I will say this though in your defense: My guess is that most of those people who are having problems with their Directv equipment that it is mostly do to a subcontractor's shoddy installation. I never let a subcontractor install anything at my home anymore. I just initial his paper work that he was here and send him on his way. I do all of my own installations now. The quality of the wiring, connectors, etc. that I use and my neatness/perfectionism is far superior to anything a subcontractor would do and that has made all the difference. I have actually had Directv, subcontractor employees bring their bosses over to my house to show them my superior installation as most have never seen anything so well done. Another problem that I have run into is that most Directv subcontractors have very little knowledge of the whole house system / cinema connection kit and even less if you throw Macintosh computers into the mix. If you have an advanced 100MB IT system like I have installed in my IT closet they just stand there with their mouthes open gaping at the blinking lights on my modem, router, and 3, 24 port, GB switches. The only way I ever got the whole house / cinema connection kit to work correctly was to school myself on how to install and configure them myself.

There are well documented issues which are software related having nothing to do with installation. I wouldn't call it a mess but the issues are there. Telling someone their issues are an installation problem could lead to unnecessary service calls for Directv and the customer.

You may have not run into those issues (ie maybe you do not use VOD), but that doesn't mean they are not there.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#10 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

There are well documented issues which are software related having nothing to do with installation. I wouldn't call it a mess but the issues are there. Telling someone their issues are an installation problem could lead to unnecessary service calls for Directv and the customer.

You may have not run into those issues (ie maybe you do not use VOD), but that doesn't mean they are not there.

I'll add (since I can't figure out how to edit my post with an iPad) even with the issues I personally think the HR34 is well worth it.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

As a new HR34 owner, I'd like to weigh in on this topic.

I would not call its software a mess but it does have some issues.

1) The Guide goes kaflooey every now and then and becomes jumbled. Simply stepping up or down solves the problem.

2) Scanning through a program at greater than 2x is not recommended. You don't know where you will drop out. It can jump up more than you think it should. Other times I've had it stop on the last image I saw. It seems to be worse when I'm playing a program recorded on one of my other DVRs than on recordings generated internally from the HR34, although watching golf yesterday, when going out of 4x scan, a couple of times I had the DVR jump up a whole hole of play from where I wanted to be.

3) Once I lost all red in the picture and had to turn the DVR back off and on. I didn't have to reset it.

I would say, your mileage may vary. I've had guide kaflooitude, but not for months. Also, I use trickplay at 3x successfully all the time with no issues. I don't use 4x but then I never did, as it never really worked for me on the HR2x either.

As for losing all red, what does a green-blooded hobgoblin need with red anyway?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

if the OP orders an HR34 trough DirecTV, a SWM will be install as part of the HR34 installation process. there is no need to order a CCK in order to get SWM. as a matter of fact, a CCK-W can be included at no charge.

Peds when the system is ordering for a 34 it does require a cck install from this end ....that insures the SWM installation...not sure why but thats how it is set up
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Who needs dual live buffers when you can put three stations in record? I did that yesterday when I was watching three sporting events at once.:

Does the HR34 have dual live buffers?

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Does the HR34 have dual live buffers?

Yes. They work like the other DVRs.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Not actually, raott. I wouldn't say the HR34 has dual live buffers. When I think of dual live buffers, I think of TiVo, where they are active all the time and you seamlessly have a buffer going for your current channel and the last one you were watching, too. The HR34 has the standard DirecTV DVR feature, Double Play, with effectively does the same thing, abet a bit awkwardly. You have to tell it you want to have buffers on two channels going at once.

I did use Double Play last night briefly and it works fine on the HR34. I'm sure I'll use it again in the future. But I'm also positive I'll be more likely to use the multiple tuners in the record mode more. With a 1T drive, I doubt I will be hurting for space any time soon. Who cares if I use up 50 Gigs of space recording four football games for an afternoon? I'll just delete them later and do the same thing the following Sunday.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I did use Double Play last night briefly and it works fine on the HR34. I'm sure I'll use it again in the future. But I'm also positive I'll be more likely to use the multiple tuners in the record mode more. With a 1T drive, I doubt I will be hurting for space any time soon. Who cares if I use up 50 Gigs of space recording four football games for an afternoon? I'll just delete them later and do the same thing the following Sunday.

Hitting the R button is what I prefer over double play, even more so over PiP, though I'd like the option for both. When I get the '34, I'll be very happy, though I have nothing to complain about now.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall