Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Recording problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Lately we have been having some recording issues with our HR24. For a few of the series that we have set to record, every once in a while it will say that it is recording it (in the List and the little orange light shows it is recording), but when we go to play it, it doesn't load anything and just pops up the Keep or Delete message as if the playback had ended.

Has anyone else seen this issue? It has started happening the past week or two. It is pretty annoying. I just tried reactivating the box online to see if that helps at all, but I am not sure if it will.

On a side note, is there any way to go right to retentions anymore? I wanted to see what I could get the HMC for, but she basically just told me I was only eligible for $100 off the retail price, so it would be $299. (I haven't gotten double prompted when I said cancel service lately so I don't think it is going to retentions, plus the offers have been terrible which seems strange for me being out of contract) I am out of contract and still on the original hardware that I had installed. Ideally, I would like to get the HMC and keep my HR24 and return the H24.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Lately we have been having some recording issues with our HR24. For a few of the series that we have set to record, every once in a while it will say that it is recording it (in the List and the little orange light shows it is recording), but when we go to play it, it doesn't load anything and just pops up the Keep or Delete message as if the playback had ended.

Has anyone else seen this issue? It has started happening the past week or two. It is pretty annoying. I just tried reactivating the box online to see if that helps at all, but I am not sure if it will.

On a side note, is there any way to go right to retentions anymore? I wanted to see what I could get the HMC for, but she basically just told me I was only eligible for $100 off the retail price, so it would be $299. (I haven't gotten double prompted when I said cancel service lately so I don't think it is going to retentions, plus the offers have been terrible which seems strange for me being out of contract) I am out of contract and still on the original hardware that I had installed. Ideally, I would like to get the HMC and keep my HR24 and return the H24.

If you are getting the KOD prompt upon playing a show, that is a known recording glitch. Have you tried a menu reset of the receiver? Try that when you get the prompt before deleting the show. Sometimes the menu reset will then allow the show to be watched. In the case where it still does not work, the reset might prevent the glitch from occuring again.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

If you are getting the KOD prompt upon playing a show, that is a known recording glitch. Have you tried a menu reset of the receiver? Try that when you get the prompt before deleting the show. Sometimes the menu reset will then allow the show to be watched. In the case where it still does not work, the reset might prevent the glitch from occuring again.

- Merg

Interesting. What is a Menu Reset? Figures, I already deleted the stuff that wasn't working. I will give it a try next time.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

Go to the Menu --> Setup --> Reset Receiver

This will do a shutdown of the receiver and then power it back up. With the HR24, it should take about 5-7 minutes.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Go to the Menu --> Setup --> Reset Receiver

This will do a shutdown of the receiver and then power it back up. With the HR24, it should take about 5-7 minutes.

- Merg

Oh ok, so it resets the whole receiver, I thought there may have been literally just a menu reset or something. Thanks!

Also, since you mentioned this is a "known" issue, is it a know issue for a recent software update or with the HR24 in general? I have had this same unit for over 2 years and it just started like a week or two ago.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh ok, so it resets the whole receiver, I thought there may have been literally just a menu reset or something. Thanks!

Also, since you mentioned this is a "known" issue, is it a know issue for a recent software update or with the HR24 in general? I have had this same unit for over 2 years and it just started like a week or two ago.

It just seems to come and go at time. The other cause of it could be that the HDD is failing and when you go to play back the recording, it cannot due to the bad section of the drive. You can also perform a system test that will check the hard drive for issues.

- Merg

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

That will take some time, so it's something to do, perhaps, on turning in.

Another thing to try, also recommended just before retiring is a double reset, which will flush the entire Guide. It will reload/rebuild substantially overnight. It's not impossible that this step could work if the reboot hasn't.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   khigerd

khigerd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I've had this same problem for the last 3 weeks. If I do a reset, the show that had the problem gets deleted for my list. If I look in my recording history, it says "This episode was deleted because of a problem retaining the program. (2004)"

I also see in the history of a problem recording before I reset the box the message "This episode was partially recorded because of a problem retaining the program. (45)"

I've been on the phone with 3 different DirecTV CSRs and have not figured this out yet. The problem seems to be random and I can't pinpoint when or why it will occure.

Any suggestions?
Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-200 & AM21
Sony HT-SS2000 Home Theatre System
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray player
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc CD/DVD Player
All connected via HDMI
Networked via Linksys WRT160N
All powered by APC UPS

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I've had this same problem for the last 3 weeks. If I do a reset, the show that had the problem gets deleted for my list. If I look in my recording history, it says "This episode was deleted because of a problem retaining the program. (2004)"

I also see in the history of a problem recording before I reset the box the message "This episode was partially recorded because of a problem retaining the program. (45)"

I've been on the phone with 3 different DirecTV CSRs and have not figured this out yet. The problem seems to be random and I can't pinpoint when or why it will occure.

Any suggestions?

What you are posting is more indicative of a hard drive issue. Run a system test and see if you get any errors reference your hard drive.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   khigerd

khigerd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

What you are posting is more indicative of a hard drive issue. Run a system test and see if you get any errors reference your hard drive.

- Merg

That's what I thought, but all test come back OK even a surface scan. Could there still be an issue with the hard drive?
Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-200 & AM21
Sony HT-SS2000 Home Theatre System
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray player
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc CD/DVD Player
All connected via HDMI
Networked via Linksys WRT160N
All powered by APC UPS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...