Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ethernet whole home now unstable

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hi, maybe time to upgrade to the HR34??

I have been running two HR22-100s. Each is connected with two cat6 cables to the dish. I have ethernet from each HR22 to a router. I don't recall why, but when whole home first arrived I decided to use ethernet and not Deca. Maybe because deca required an installer visit.

Anyway, the whole home worked ok, FF and skip were slow, but ok. Starting this summer, playback from a remote receiver starts and stops constantly and unwatchable. My network connections seem fine. When I test them via the receiver they connect to the internet. But when I test them under the network services menu section I get this result "directv network services has started successfully but connection test failed". I can see playlists from both machines, and I can delete items and if I were patient enough I could watch an entire show.

I have the following network setup. Cable modem into the house. From the cable modem to a Sonicwall hardware firewal. From the firewall to a Cisco Valet wireless router with a 4 port hub. From that Cisco router hard wired to one HR22 directly. From that same Cisco hard wired to a cisco 8 port hub at my HT cabinet with a bunch of other gear connected to the hub. Should be gigabit from the Sonicwall and the whole network. Everything else runs fine, stream movies and content from 3 different boxes off the same 8 port hub.

Ideas?

Maybe time to upgrade to the HR34? I have been waiting for more stability before pulling the trigger. Long term customer, no special favors, and I am a Sunday Ticket customer. Should I upgrade to a new system. Honestly I dread the thought of some random installer coming over and I'm not sure what to watch for.

thanks in advance...joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi, maybe time to upgrade to the HR34??

I have been running two HR22-100s. Each is connected with two cat6 cables to the dish. I have ethernet from each HR22 to a router. I don't recall why, but when whole home first arrived I decided to use ethernet and not Deca. Maybe because deca required an installer visit.

Anyway, the whole home worked ok, FF and skip were slow, but ok. Starting this summer, playback from a remote receiver starts and stops constantly and unwatchable. My network connections seem fine. When I test them via the receiver they connect to the internet. But when I test them under the network services menu section I get this result "directv network services has started successfully but connection test failed". I can see playlists from both machines, and I can delete items and if I were patient enough I could watch an entire show.

I have the following network setup. Cable modem into the house. From the cable modem to a Sonicwall hardware firewal. From the firewall to a Cisco Valet wireless router with a 4 port hub. From that Cisco router hard wired to one HR22 directly. From that same Cisco hard wired to a cisco 8 port hub at my HT cabinet with a bunch of other gear connected to the hub. Should be gigabit from the Sonicwall and the whole network. Everything else runs fine, stream movies and content from 3 different boxes off the same 8 port hub.

Ideas?

Maybe time to upgrade to the HR34? I have been waiting for more stability before pulling the trigger. Long term customer, no special favors, and I am a Sunday Ticket customer. Should I upgrade to a new system. Honestly I dread the thought of some random installer coming over and I'm not sure what to watch for.

thanks in advance...joe

Network services are used for a few special applications. On my system they are used by Century Link for their CID application. In automatic mode Network services are used to set port forwarding in your router. If you have CL, this may not work properly and you may have to use manual port forwarding in your router. Since you have cable, you can ignore network services.

#3 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Stay away from the HR34. I've had one since the national release. It used to work fine; it's now totally useless on the Whole Home.

I've had it replaced, still useless on the Whole Home. The technician reports that my actual home setup is fine; therefore we can conclude the issue is a software problem that affects at least some setups (I'm not the only one here with this problem; read around).

#4 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Stay away from the HR34. I've had one since the national release. It used to work fine; it's now totally useless on the Whole Home.

I've had it replaced, still useless on the Whole Home. The technician reports that my actual home setup is fine; therefore we can conclude the issue is a software problem that affects at least some setups (I'm not the only one here with this problem; read around).

I understand am sorry that you are having trouble with your HR34 but i would have no problem recommending the HR34 to others, and I have. Sure I have some quirks like last night just watching live tv it locked up, but those have been rare and i just consider it part of being an early adopter. I have not seen any issues with my whole home setup. I have slowly moved recordings from my other 4 dvrs to the HR34 and it hasn't missed a recording yet. As always i guess YMMV.

#5 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Some more data on the network in my house. I'm thinking it's a network problem that is causing he freezing and stuttering audio when viewing content from a remote HR22.

I have a Cisco E3000 Valet wireless router that has 4 gigabit ports. One HR22 is connected with Ethernet to the Cisco E3000. Then I have another line from that E3000 a Cisco 8 port gigabit switch. When I log into the Cisco Valet E3000 I see both HR22s with IP addresses assigned. I am able to stream content on demand to both HR22s, and the whole home playlists work. This setup worked 99.8% fine for maybe 2 years but in the last few months it has become essentially unwatchable.

I will verify with an IT guy today that my network setup should work as wired. Assuming the network is ok I have two options.
1) Upgrade now, hold out the Sunday Ticket and try to save as much as possible. The HR22 in the bedroom has a fan that is getting more noisy, but not that bad. The HR22s are SUPER SLOW, and my wife bitches every night about how bad DirectTV is. If I had an installer coming, I would also add a receiver to a TV in my garage so I can watch football there.
2) Keep the current HR22s and have a deca system installed.

Is the deca system stable? If I do upgrade, what do I want to make sure the tech does?

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Since you can see the IP addresses of the HR2x on your router, I'm going to assume that you're using DHCP. A common recommendation is to use static addressing instead. It shouldn't make any difference but sometimes change is good.

Another option may be to move the HR2x that is connected to the router to the switch instead.

The Linksys E3000 should never be confused with the Valet series.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have a somewhat similar setup for my whole home (and have since whole home first came out). Have you tried rebooting the router? The HR2xs? Maybe try rebooting all network devices. I used to have to do that every once in a while, but not since I put everything on a battery backup.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#8 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I rebooted the Cisco switch and both HR22s last night. I have the Cisco Valet and one HR22 on UPSs. I'll try rebooting all tonight and I'll try static addresses just to see.

Unfortunately the only way to run both HR22s off one switch would be pull a new ethernet cable. I can temporarily connect both to the Cisco router to see if that makes a difference.

I'm starting think that maybe the Jun SW update messed me up. I know what I'm doing is no longer a supported configuration.

#9 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

You may be at the point where you should just switch over to Whole Home DVR over coax (DECA). I wouldn't waste much time in troubleshooting mode. With Whole home, you can go with just one physical connection to your router or switch.

The advice to use static IP's is a good one. I have run static IP's on my system for several years and never have any IP related problems. This goes for both HR2x and HR34 types of configurations.

#10 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

To move to deca do I need and installer or can I set it up myself? Is Deca generally more stable than ethernet for whole home?

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,917 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

My DECA has been rock solid since its installation 20 months ago. I went with static IP's a week after install, thanks to advice here.

I'd consider an H25 for the BR and an HR34 to replace one of the '22's. What I will do when my contract is up in three months. (already have the '25 in the BR).

Meantime, start recording to only one '22, so you'll have fewer programs go bye-bye when you upgrade and get rid of one of the HR22s. You may later choose to ditch the other one after a few months with the '34.

Best of luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

What is a fair price to pay to swap the two HR22s for an HR34, an H24 for the bedroom, and another for the garage, all capable of multi room? Still worried about getting an idiot for an intaller. Will they even do this?

#13 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Wow, I just checked out Dish to get a price to have in my pocket with I call Directv and WOW. The hopper and 2 additional TVs with a similar channel line up and HBO is $109 a month after the deals expire. Like $79 a month for the first year and HBO for free for 4 months. Without Sunday ticket and for just 2 TVs I'm paying like $130 a month. I don't really want to teach my wife a new system but WOW. Huge price difference. Anyone else looked at Dish recently? What are the downsides?

#14 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I called late afternoon around 4pm my time and spoke with the first agent, lots of pleasant chit chat and discussion, ended up with Sunday Ticket Free this year and $10 per month off for automatic payment for a year. One year commitment. He then passed me to a gal for help on the hardware. She couldn't do much and passed me to retention. In the end I got the above, adding an HR34 to my two HR22s, total of 9 tuners listed in the account, installed with cinema kit, new dish, swm, all for $0.00. I didn't really notice the time as I was doing email while on hold and chatting, ended up on the phone for almost 3 hours !. But, I saved $420 on the programming and the new HR34 and all other stuff free. With the hardware I now have a 2 year commitment. The agent said my account qualified for up to 3 more new boxes if I wanted to get the basic receivers but I opted for 9 tuners instead.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,917 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like a beautiful resolution! Congrats.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall