Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hunger Games

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,226 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

My 9 year old daughter has just been invited to a "HUNGER GAMES" birthday party. Since I have not seen "The Hunger Games" nor do I have the time to watch it before this weekend, I was hoping that those who have seen it can tell me their opinions on if this movie appropriate for someone of such a young age.
I have looked at a couple of the trailers and personally see nothing wrong but Mrs. Fluffybear on the other hand is on the fence. I guess she has never forgiven my telling her I saw nothing wrong with "Blair Witch Project" either.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

A Kid from each formerly break-away region participates in the reality TV show The Hunger Games as part of a continuing punishment for the region's rebellion. The kids kill each other until there is one winner left. Not for most nine year old kids.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

http://goo.gl/wlKv6

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

CommonSense recommends kids at least 13 and older: http://www.commonsen...he-hunger-games

IMDb Parents Guide: http://www.imdb.com/...0/parentalguide

http://www.kids-in-m...hungergames.htm

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

http://goo.gl/wlKv6

CommonSense recommends kids at least 13 and older: http://www.commonsen...he-hunger-games

IMDb Parents Guide: http://www.imdb.com/...0/parentalguide

http://www.kids-in-m...hungergames.htm

All of these are great sources of information and they have provided me with a great insight to the movie and even consider wanting to watch it some evening. However, what I really am looking for is if 'John Q Public' would let their tween watch it and why?

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

My wife watched the movie last week.

She says she wouldn't let our 9 year old son watch it, because it's all about a battle to the death. The whole premise is being the sole survivor and there's a lot of kid on kid killing with axes and other brutal implements. It's not like a ghost story or make believe, because it's appears to be actual kids killing other kids.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

I would not allow a nine year old to view the movie or attend the birthday party and I would take a second look at the parents hosting the party and question their sanity.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

I would not allow a nine year old to view the movie or attend the birthday party and I would take a second look at the parents hosting the party and question their sanity.

Absolutely agree.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

"May the odds be ever in your favor."

And Nine sounds very close to the German word Nein, which is translated to no.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#10 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

I've seen it and enjoyed the movie. However, I wouldn't let my 8 year old son watch it. I think there's too much violence and gore involved. When he's older (like maybe 12 or 13) and can understand what the movie is about, then I will let him watch.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#11 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

All of these are great sources of information and they have provided me with a great insight to the movie and even consider wanting to watch it some evening. However, what I really am looking for is if 'John Q Public' would let their tween watch it and why?

Usually, when a book is made into a movie, the story changes a LOT in the movie. I read the book before seeing the movie and was pleasantly surprised how closely the movie followed the book.

I did not see anything particularly bad for a 'tween' in the movie (or the book). It is certainly much less violent than the average computer game these days. Both my 10 and 12 year old grandchildren read the 3 books in the series and watched the movie. No problems and they enjoyed both media.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

We just watched it and I'd consider it inappropriate for a 9 year old. We enjoyed the movie, but thought it was too short (at slightly over 2 hours) to really reflect what's in the book. My wife read the book, I plan to read it this week. Even without reading the book, I could see how condensed it was. Probably should have been a trilogy such as The Lord of The Rings was.

Great cast, beautifully filmed but it seemed crammed into those two hours +. All in all, we enjoyed it, but I'm really surprised that someone would want to have a party with kids that young with that particular movie as the centerpiece of the party.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

It all depends on the child.

Twenty years ago I saw moms renting Freddy Kruger movies for six year olds. I guess none of those former kids are on this forum...

I would want my child to watch it with me for the first time before sending them to such a party.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Birthdays are a time of celebration. For a child they are a time for happiness and joy. I fail to see how a "Hunger Games" theme based party accomplishes this.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

My daughter saw it a month before she turned 12. But she had read all the books in the trilogy which I thought was important. She knew what was going to happen.

And while there is violence, it is not the graphic slasher film violence. A mature 9 year old can handle it. An immature 13 year old might not. It is all about knowing your kid.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,054 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

My daughter saw it a month before she turned 12. But she had read all the books in the trilogy which I thought was important. She knew what was going to happen.

And while there is violence, it is not the graphic slasher film violence. A mature 9 year old can handle it. An immature 13 year old might not. It is all about knowing your kid.

Your last paragraphs is key, so it will be up to each parent to decide whether or not their child should attend the party. But I fault the parents of the birthday boy/girl for forcing the other parents to even have to make this decision. As mentioned above, a birthday party is not the place for a movie of this type, and the birthday boy/girl may find that a lot of other children who would have otherwise attended the party will instead send regrets. Why would the parents hosting the party even want to get into that situation?

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

How many of us, as adults, would consider attending a Running Man party?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#18 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Why would the parents hosting the party even want to get into that situation?

Because they either 1) Don't know any better. My kid saw it so every kid can see it, or 2) They don't care. It is all about what their kid wants and they will do whatever it takes to make them happy.

We have done a couple of birthday parties at a local theater. They have a party room and and the kids all have a good time. But we make sure the movies are age appropriate for everyone who is invited.

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Because they either 1) Don't know any better. My kid saw it so every kid can see it, or 2) They don't care. It is all about what their kid wants and they will do whatever it takes to make them happy.

or 3) or both A & B

To be fair, one could take their child to the party after the movie but that can create some 'social' issues for the child which the parents have not considered.

Personally, I can not imagine a group of 9 year old girls sitting through this movie or a movie of any kind.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Personally, I can not imagine a group of 9 year old girls sitting through this movie or a movie of any kind.

You might be surprised. We did Furry Vengeance for her 10th birthday and Hannah Montana for her 9th. All the kids watched movies without issue and had cake in the party room. There was some girl giggling, but they were all good.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...